Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2003, 03:00 AM   #1

Anyone have experience with the Banks Powerpak on the newer Ford V10 (310hp)? I had read somewhere a couple of years ago that the Banks mods were partially accomplished in the later Ford engine (the note suggested that the exhaust manifold capacity improved). I wrote Banks for data on the new engine but they said the old test data was valid for the new engine because Ford had merely "changed the engine control chip" to accomplish the increase from 285hp to 310hp. Also, has anyone done the Trnscommand transmission mod as a stand alone mod on the Ford V10 310 hp package?
soarsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2003, 03:00 AM   #2

Anyone have experience with the Banks Powerpak on the newer Ford V10 (310hp)? I had read somewhere a couple of years ago that the Banks mods were partially accomplished in the later Ford engine (the note suggested that the exhaust manifold capacity improved). I wrote Banks for data on the new engine but they said the old test data was valid for the new engine because Ford had merely "changed the engine control chip" to accomplish the increase from 285hp to 310hp. Also, has anyone done the Trnscommand transmission mod as a stand alone mod on the Ford V10 310 hp package?
soarsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:38 AM   #3

I put the Banks Powerpack and Transcommand on my 2000 Ford V10 310 HP and the difference was astounding. I was skeptical like you but made the leap and would do it again in a heartbeat. It's a lot of money but you can't beat that smile when you step on the gas.
405landlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:54 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did the stand alone transcommand only on mine. made a differance in that it dosen't down shift as soon as it use to when hitting a small grade. Glad I did it. Also added a trans temp. guage at the same time. Did the work in the driveway. not a big job, mount the transcommand and pull and replace a few pins in the connetor.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think the best thing you could do for your engine is to install a Gear Vendors over/under drive. You've got plenty of HP and the torque ain't bad, but that 4R100 4 speed just don't have enough gears to deliver the power where you need it. Think about it - aren't you doing fine rolling down the road? And I doubt if you have any problem getting it rolling from a stop. It's the hills and the mid-range accelleration that usually leaves you cold. More gears in the middle will let you stay in the sweet spot and apply the power when you want it. Costs about the same as the Banks kit.

http://www.gearvendors.com/

Don't get me wrong - I'm a Banks fan. Had the full kit on my 96 Southwind 36 (Ford 460) and it helped there, but I still ran out of oomph on anything more than a mild grade. And the V10 gets less benefit than the 460 did, making the gain for the dollar lower. Have not bought the Banks for my GM 8.1 because nearly all the gain comes at RPMs where I won't get to use it anyway, i.e. well over 4000.

Gary Brinck
2002 Dolphin LX - WorkHorse W22 chassis
2000 Chevy Tracker 4-Dr 4WD
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 06:05 AM   #6

Soarsz, I'm rather surprised and disappointed that a Banks Rep told you that "Ford merely changed a chip to increase the 275hp engine to 310hp. Nothing could be further from the truth, as the 310hp engine sports a different upper and lower intake plenum; different heads with larger exhaust ports and different cam timing. It's possible they may have reprogrammed the chip to accommodate the cam timing change. We presently have a 00 coach with the 310hp V-10 and so far haven't felt justified in spending that much mony to install the Banks System. For that kind of money we can buy a lot of gas and we're willing take the hills a bit slower.

Best Regards, C. Ji

JS

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #7

I have a 2004 Damon Intruder with the Ford V-10. Added Banks powerpack, headers, exhaust, chip and transcommand last fall. Live in Colorado. Just got back from a trip east to Illinois. First tank from Denver got 9mpg with a VERY strong tail wind. Second tank got 8mpg with less wind. These were all highway, no AC, No Generator on. One tank mixed highway and around town with AC and generator occassionally was 7.37 mpg. On return trip to Denver one tank 7.87 with AC and Generator on and Ethanol gas mix (Iowa) final tank from Lincoln to Denver no AC or Generator in rain got 8mpg.

all was at cruise at 72 miles per hour mostly.

Sound is great, pedal feel seems like less input and can back out faster than before. We tow ATV trailer here in colorado and have not run up Interstate 70 yet with the trailer. One short trip in hills showed I still needed a foot into it as before banks but can back out sooner.

Shift points much more solid but I agree it would be better with a 5 speed tranny for better shift points.

Alot of money upfront but if it keeps you from trading up you'll save $$
Bakeryman is offline   Reply With Quote