Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #1

I have only been in a class A since Aug so I still learning. I read about stuff like Banks products that will inprove gas millage and performance???
Jim
JIM Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #2

I have only been in a class A since Aug so I still learning. I read about stuff like Banks products that will inprove gas millage and performance???
Jim
JIM Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #3

I installed the Banks equipment on a Workhorse W22 chassis. There was a performance gain but no change in fuel mileage. Not worth the money in my opinion. About a year ago I had the Ultrapower tune performed on the ECM and that resulted in much improved performance and a little over 1 MPG increase in fuel mileage. I should recover the cost in about 20 tank fills. Search for Brazel's Performance RV for information on the Ultrapower tune. I have no connection with either company. These are the results I noticed.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I to had the Banks system installed on my 06 m/h with the W24 chasis, I saw very little horse power gain and no mpg gain. save your money on the banks system. Not worth the money. I might try the ultrapower system but I understand they are very pricey.

2004 Jeep Wrangler
RattlenRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:57 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Jim, list some information with regards to your motorhome. Gas or Diesel? Size, weight, and length? Some Banks products work better than others, but one thing is true, they are pricey. And by the way, welcome to the forums! Lots of good people and info here. Come back often!

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:53 AM   #6

I put a Banks system on my '98 Seabreeze with the Ford 460 6 cyl. engine. The difference was amazing. Within an hour after leaving their factory via the LA freeway system, I had a speeding ticket. Shifting down when ascending hills was greatly reduced. I only dropped out of overdrive three times on the way home. Wish I had done it sooner. But I carefully watched the forums for years before making my decision, which is the right thing to do. I do believe it matters what coach and what engine you have.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:12 AM   #7

Woops, blew that. As we all know, it's a 460 8 cylinder engine. OK. Coffee first, forum second.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:40 AM   #8

Jim, I had a TransPack and Otto Minder (computer chip) installed on my 01 Winnebago Adventurer (F-53 V-10). No change I can see, except the chip fell out which left me on the side of the road for a while, duct tape to the rescue.

06 Mandalay 40E
John&Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:59 AM   #9

Jim;
The Banks system seems to work best on the Ford 460 engines. I too saw a huge improvement . Performance was increased, less strain on the Ford Trans. and as far as fuel mileage, maybe 1 and a half more miles per gallon. The big difference is less strain on the engine and Transmission.
Cost...yes it's expensive, would I do it again? not unless I had purchased another Ford 460 and plan on keeping it for many many years.

You may want to go to the Banks web site for more info.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #10
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I had the Banks Torque tubes (headers) installed when I had a blown GM manifold gasket - I was told it rusted out because of salt.
Since then I have noticed a slight improvement in acceleration from 60 - 75 mph, +1 mile per gallon and about 150.F less heat uner the hood when I stop. I think it was worth it for longevity of the running gear. 2003 W22 - 35 foot Triple E Commander and Toyota corrola toad.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #11

Jim, I installed a Banks PowerPak on my 1989 Chevrolet 454 P-30 chassis Airstream Land Yacht.

I am delighted with the increased performance and I get slightly better gas mileage. It runs 10-15 degrees cooler and is much quieter.

Money well spent, IMHO.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Regarding the Banks Power Pack most if not all WCC W-Series owners report no improvement in mileage.

Please see the new TSB in the Workhorse Forum about these types of modifications.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Two Fords I had full Banks sys was great and should have been for the money was good for power and pulling but nothing for improved MPG.
Was looking for improved gas mileage for WH W-22 decided to get Ultra-power upgrade best thing I ever did more mileage & power and cheeper $695 as compared to $3000.
Getting the latest tune up at Branson for nothing,improve on mileage even more.
With the price of gas these days will have $695 paid off in no time.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #14

Added the Banks Power Pack exhaust and Trans Command last year on my 460 F53 to replace warped/cracked manifolds at 47K. Milage increased from 6.5 to 8 mpg. plus all the gas saved by not having to idle the engine for 10 minutes every time I shut it off to cool the manifolds (at least the mechaninc said that's the only way to avoid warping them).

Engine dog house cooled off too, as indicated by less clutch fan engagement.

Biggest difference is power. Easier merging with x-way traffic and better sustained speeds on long uphill grades.

As I see it there's NO WAY the Banks System will ever pay for itself on my rig (even with the increase in resale). But I am so much happier and relaxed driving the coach I don't care. Like the others said; on my 460 Ford coach, it was money well spent.
Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote