Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up Baselining a Used Coach

In March we bought a used 2006 Winnebago 33-V Voyage on a Workhouse. We took a few close-to-home trips just to check it out and look for things that might need fixing.

The coach is in excellent condition with just 27,000 miles. The former owner took very good care of the unit, complete with an almost new set of Michelins.

After our "getting to know you" trips I took the coach to RV Masters in Houston, Texas to put the coach in absolute ready-to-go-anywhere order. While I had a list, I also told them to look at everything and let me know anything they found. They pretty much knew i was going to say, "Okay, do it." In other words, I wanted a baseline or starting point if you will. I wanted to know exactly what I had when we went on the road.

My own list included noisy slides, check the stabilizer jacks, fix a guide on one of the pantries, check all the a/c units (coach and dash), valve extenders on the inner rear tires, service the gen-set if needed, do any engine services needed, fix windshield chips, etc.

Along with my list, RV Masters found that the serpentine belt needed replacing and the transmission fluid needed replacing. They also found that the dash a/c needed a new evaporator. Luckily the XtraRide extended warranty covered $1,900 of the a/c repairs. I just paid my $200 deductible. So my extended warranty is now more than half paid for.

I had previously had the wheel alignment done when I did state inspection.

Doing all this was part of my plan for buying a used coach, and I considered whatever it would cost to be part of my purchase price. So now I have a coach I will feel confident taking anywhere. Of course, I am well aware that anything can happen at any time, but we feel comfortable getting on the road.

RV Masters was excellent at keeping in touch with us and letting us know where things stood. They are a Workhorse service center and are an authorized service center for a number of other RV components. They were a little slower than I would have liked, but what RV service operation isn't?

So we're up at the lake, still not too far from home, and I'll have another chance to check everything. I'll probably find more things to do. Actually I already found the bathroom vanity faucet was broken and replaced that this afternoon.

So, I hope we're done for a while.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a good reference for you and your systems in coach.
As for your DASH AC take a look at this thread many have the control valve installed in wrong place on AC/Heater unit.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the links. They will be useful as we go along.

What I like about just doing everything once at the beginning of our ownership is that it makes me feel like I know my coach. Of course, while I think we are set for the time being, it an RV, and that means any thing at any time...

This one is new to us, but we have 10 years in a B+ to work from. So we're never surprised and always flexible.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote