Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-29-2005, 06:56 PM   #15
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I agree with bankerdrysdale that there is more noise in the bedroom, but I spend most of my time in the living room area and the noise level is much less. We don't sleep with either the heat or air "ON". The heat pump air distribution are much better than the LP furnaces, while the limited air use so far is just fine.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #16
We stay in AZ, sometimes when it is over 110 (I know, that's when we should be up north), don't know anything about basement heat pump operation. The basement units are almost all under the bedroom, so you get more night noise there. W/two roof units we can run the living room unit at night & a small fan in hallway for minimal noise.
The basement units are still nicer during the day, however, for use of the forward areas.

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #17
For those of you in the 100+ heat, how does the basement unit do temp. wise. Can you keep it at 73 deg. or so?? Are these 27,000 BTU units???. In my 28' 5th wheel w/ 13,500 BTU A/C I can only cool to 80 or so when it is 106 outside which I am being told is on par for that unit.
2006 Dutchmen Colorado 28TB

2006 2500 Dodge Megacab 5.9 Cummins, 48RE, Superglide
MrFixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 03:26 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
From my experience with the basement air I think a 20 degree drop in temperature is pretty good performance...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:24 PM   #19
....should be 40 degrees between the inlet and outlet temps....get a thermometer and try it out!....Most of your problem is insulation and lack of reflection from the roof......geofkaye
Old 04-09-2005, 09:42 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How does the basement air affect storage space? Seems to me it would use up a lot.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:16 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kayerivercity, you need to check you 40 degree number. If you are able to cool the room air by 20 degrees you are doing good...that is read the return air temperature and then the air temperature cooming out of the duct should be 20 degrees colder.

If you are running 40 degrees colder you will freeze the coil when you have a comfortable 75degree coach.

I've been working in the refrigeration industry and air conditioning industry for over 35 years now and that has always been the general rule of thumb.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:52 PM   #22
.....I'm OLD and I forget now and then....60 hit me harder than I t hough....DUH....geofkaye
Old 04-11-2005, 07:36 AM   #23
Our basement air works great in 100+ temps. The trick is to get it as cool as possible in the early a.m.... before it gets really hot. If you let it get hot in the MH, it takes a couple of hours to cool it down.
Click on the link to see our new Snowbird Home....

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:14 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's the ticket is to keep ahead of the day's temperature rise, and the AC will keep the coach comforatable...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:37 PM   #25
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I paid to have my 02 winnie checked,$175 later they said it all checked out, the pressure, the draw on both comp. all good!For ever advantage, such as low center of gravity, no water running off of MH, there are 2or3 disatvanges, noise while sitting out,takes up storage space, hot air is exhausted under the MH, hot air rises and what is not pulled across the coils is used to make me hotter. Dont think about using the gen. as it supplies more hot air to the A/C coils. Now that you have some cold air, you have to push it UP to the HOT ROOF DUCTS.
Hot air rises, cold air--- two speed fan to HI,

Now let me say that I did change my cheap, blue fiberglass filters, for the better quality paper.That may have slow down the AIR across the coils. I have gone back to a lower restricted filter. I will check it out this Aug.at the Bristol race. coopcolt

2002 WGO Adventurer 32' P32
Tenn.Vol. is offline   Reply With Quote