Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #1

Bathroom etiquette

We take our motorhome on camping trips with friends who camp in tents or who just come out for the day or a few hours. And we often have overnight guests. I want to put a sign up in the bathroom for those who don't know the ins and outs of RV toilets so that we don't have to explain the rules over and over, and so that we don't have to clean up other people's messes. Here is what I have come up with so far, but I would love to hear if anyone else has used a sign or has suggestions on improving mine.
YES, YOU MAY USE OUR BATHROOM. BUT REMEMBER:
1) Only these things can go into the toilet: Water, Toilet Paper (no Kleenex or wipes), and stuff that has gone through your digestive system.
2) Only flush for a second or two longer than it takes for the contents of the bowl to be rinsed out.
3) If you need to do "that," go for it. But first, put a few inches of water into the bowl by lightly stepping on the foot peddle. This will help to get the bowl clean when you flush.
4) If the bowl is not clean after you flush, grab some TP and wipe it out, and flush again. There is a spray nozzle behind the toilet if you need it.
5) There is a switch for the exhaust fan right below the water pump (which needs to be on before you can flush) - turn on the fan if you need to.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #2

I also have a laminated sign in my RV for guests who may not know the proper protocol. I think your list is really good!

RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #3

The exhaust fan should only be turned on after the flushing cycle...or perhaps, before the ball valve opens to the black tank. Stinky stories if a vacuum is in the head when that ball valve opens to the depths below.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

No signs, lots of guests, never have had a problem. IMO, too much information. DW would not be happy if I posted signs in our M/H.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlooselily View Post
The exhaust fan should only be turned on after the flushing cycle...or perhaps, before the ball valve opens to the black tank. Stinky stories if a vacuum is in the head when that ball valve opens to the depths below.
X2 on the fan not being turned on during the flush. If I were to put a list, which I dislike, it would say "Use Lots of Water". Lack of liquid in black tanks is what causes trouble.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #6

It's "foot pedal," not "foot peddle."
Old 07-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #7

If you needed eat it. Don't flush it
Old 07-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapa1 View Post
If you needed eat it. Don't flush it
Huh?
Old 07-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #9

I just don't have guests using my bathroom.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #10

Bathroom etiquette

Oatmeal - thanks! It just looked wrong.
And we are putting up a sign because we have already had the problem of cleaning up after others - I'll spare you the details.
We hesitate to say use lots of water as we generally are not hooked up and worry about having enough. But I do know that's as important for the coach as it is for ourselves!
We actually enjoy having guests and sharing our good fortune of being able to have a motor home.
I should change it to say turn on the fan AFTER you flush?
Old 07-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
It's "foot pedal," not "foot peddle."
Oatmeal, give it up. I struggle every day with not wanting to point out

your, you're,
their, there, they're,
brake, break,
hot water heater (it's a water heater, the water isn't already hot is it?),
pedal, peddle,

and on, and on, and on.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #12

Also, open window when using fan.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Personally, I think your list is too long. Most people will not want to read through all that. And using the terms "stuff that has gone through your digestive system" and "need to do that" for a #2 I find awkward to use myself.

We have a small sign that we do post sometimes when having overnight guests but all that it says is "RV toilet functions differently than a home toilet. If unfamiliar with how it works, please ask for instructions. It will be less embarrassing for all if this is done before using. Thanks!"

Even before we used a sign, we found that most people who were unfamiliar with the workings of an RV toilet actually did ask before using. We used the sign just in case for we have heard that others, like yourself, had problems with people who did not "correctly" know how to use the facilities.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:51 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
At the risk of getting some smart comments. There is a product that most Ace hardware stores sell called "POO-POURRI". You put a couple of spritzes in the bowl before use and it makes the whole experience more pleasant for everyone in the coach.