Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2010, 05:47 AM   #1

Bathroom floor waterlogged from mystery leak

Our bathroom floor stays damp under the vinyl and has developed some soft spots from being water logged. The problem is not in just one area but across the entire floor. I have looked for and checked every water source I can get to and cannot find a leak anywhere. It is a 36' 2000 Georgie Boy split bath plan with enclosed toilet area. Anyone have an idea what the problem might be or any suggestions for finding the problem? If I can't find a solution pretty soon I will have to rip up the entire floor as it is getting pretty soft and beginning to rot.
LightFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you looked under the shower? I had a nasty leak from the shower drain last year. Unfortunately, if you floor is feeling spongy its not going to get "unspongy" until you tear it out and replace it.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
When my GeorgieBoy was new, found a leak behind the shower, the thin wall pipe joining the 2 faucet "mixer" in the shower had split between the faucets, only leaked when the shower was running. Should have a inspection plate below the faucets that unscrews for access. I replaced with higher quality all metal mixer..
Also had a plumbing fitting break under the vanity, the PEX tubing is joined with plastic fittings that fail over time. (they don't like chlorine???) I replaced ALL my fittings with brass throughout. Shelves in the vanity can be removed, just screws and staples. Follow the plumbing until you find the leak...
The plumbing under the floor and the holding tanks can be accessed by removing a trim panel above the propane tank.
I carry repair fittings for the PEX tubing, "Sharkbite', & "Flair-it' are brand names, these slip on the PEX for an easy repair on the road..
Is your MH CruiseMaster or Landau??
Hope this helps, and good luck...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #4

Thanks so much for the reply... Sorry for the delay in responding. We were on the road. I searched all the places you suggested already with no luck... except I didn't know about the panel above the propane take. Will check that next. It sounds like I will have to replace the floor as it is definitely spongy. (Wow... that's another story) Our MH is a 3601 Landau (2000).
Old 06-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #5

I also had a mystery leak in my Discovery and finally pinned it down to the valve that empties the potty. It didn't leak all the time and when it did leak, it was impossible to see. If you don't find anything else, you might try placing your hand underneath the valve while flushing and/or filling. That's how I found my leak.
Volunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Nothing 'finds' a water leak like a piece of good 'ole toilet paper wrapped around a suspect fitting...start high and work your way down the gravity chain. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #7

I have tried everything and looked everywhere short of tearing up the floor boards. It's really getting to be a problem. The whole floor is soft now. Has anyone had any experience in replacing the flooring? How big of a job is it?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everyone looks for "leaks".

The source of MY waterlogged bathrom floor in my 2000 GBM Pursuit was the roadbed. In fac, the floor abovet all four wheel wells (and at the furnace opening) had varying degrees of rot and worse.

Mine is now all completely remodeled and wonderful but I had to go down to the steel frame and rebuild it all.

One of these days I'll resize all my pics and post the job progress.
One thing is for sure though I now have a "shower" that an adult can actually fit into. Two adults if inclined.
InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #9

Wow... Now that makes some sense. The rot is above the wheel wells. So, if I understand, you found that the water splashing up from the tires caused the rot? I think at this point I will have to replace the flooring. Can you give me an idea of how I should proceed, and how big of a job I'm getting in to? And at the end of the day... how did you seal the underside so it didn't happen again?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:46 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightFlight View Post
Wow... Now that makes some sense. The rot is above the wheel wells. So, if I understand, you found that the water splashing up from the tires caused the rot?
That is correct Sir!

Quote:
I think at this point I will have to replace the flooring. Can you give me an idea of how I should proceed, and how big of a job I'm getting in to?
I **completely** rebuilt and renovated the bathroom including what are laughingly called stud walls. If you have the basic carpentry skills and space to park it and plan the work out ahead of time aren't distracted by kids and dogs every 45 minutes... it is still a big job.

I eliminated the bathtub entirely, made a new wall hung lav/sink and shortened up the support box for the toilet... and made the whole room into one large shower pan using two layers of A/C plywood which I treated with "Red Gard" and then topped off with an epoxy floor coating (like a garage floor) with the shower drain going directly into the wheel well area (not the gray tank).

I beefed up the walls (firring strips ripped to 1 1/8") with 1/4" lauan plywood because I needed a strong substrate to glue the FRP panels. I also completely re-plumbed the water with all piping surface mounted.

I eliminated the second faucet using just one mixer at the sink and piping from that to the shoerhead & sprayer.

If I had known more I would have planned a replacement of the toilet too and repositioned it farther outfrom the wall to make more shoulder and backside room.

Quote:
And at the end of the day... how did you seal the underside so it didn't happen again?
Spray cans of rubberized undercoating and a tarp instead of the OEM "sediment screen" fabric below the 5/8" OSB flooring. Sheet metal would be even better but much harder to install.

In the picture below you'll see a mechanical chase against the wall where I have the heat duct to the bedroom and pex and 120V and 12V wires running.

(I also remodeled the kitchen)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	4510   Click image for larger version

Name:	sinkarea.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	4511  

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #11

We have an Orbit Sport. We are currently working on a rotted out floor. We bought the camper, no evidence of leakage at all. Just perfect, until it rained. There was a huge soft spot. The whole front section was rotted out. We had also noticed some discoration on the linoleum in that area, but thought it was just where someone had used a harsh cleaner (wrong). The wetness underneath had discolored the linoleum. All the damage is coming from under the floor. I noticed when we bought it, that their was a couple of places where the aluminum panel that runs across the bottom front had some caulk missing. I'm new to TT's and it appeared that when water ran down in that opening, it would just run out the bottom. Well.....a very small percentage runs out the bottom. The rest was running in between the floor, trapped between the linoleum and the barrier that covers the underside of the TT. We hopefully have the caulking in that area under control and have replaced the floor. Maybe an easy job for some, but a task for us. Now on to the rear of the TT. Hopefully we won't have to replace the floor, but there seems to be some water damage there as well. At this point, our next priority is making sure everything is caulked on the outside so water cannot get to the inside. What a disappointment!!
Lizzielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Also check the water linesand drain lines for very slight leaks. Wiggle each line and connection while under pressure or water draining.

Since the rig bounces down the road, you should check every connection you can get to on a yearly basis. Things work loose.

We had a line that ran under the tub and only leaked if someone was in the tub. It put a little pressure on the line and put a fitting in a bind. I wound up adding a brace under the tub and putting a new quad-washer in the fitting.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought our Dynasty, there was a leak in the drain line from the kitchen sink where it was in the tip-out. It showed itself as a leak in the bath, but it was in the walls of the tip out.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #14

My toilet vac break was leaking, every flush a bit more water plus the rim rinse line had partially pulled out and that was adding to it.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wet floor in bathroom