Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Bathroom Sink Repair Advice?

It's difficult to decide how much of this story to tell. For the time being let's just say that a big hole recently appeared in the bathroom sink.

We're in the north end of Phoenix (Anthem) and trying to figure out the best way to proceed with repairs. I called a counter top store and they are working on an estimate. I've called Monaco and it turns out that they used to make these "solid surface" counter-tops with intregal sink. Even so they do not have spares or the capability to make one.

From my conversation with the counter top shop it sounds like they can saw the sink off and "glue" in a replacement. No estimate of price yet to do this. Removing it looks like it would be difficult to do. That said, I'd prefer to have the shop remove and repair.

Any suggestion of shops here in the Phoenix area or along the way back to Puget Sound?

In the mean time I've epoxied what pieces we could find back in their original locations. To add insult to injury, one good size chunk fell down the opening in the bottom of the cabinet through which the pipes and drain are routed and is lost for all time.

Monaco had the colors on file for my coach. The counter top is 1530TM Beige Tempest and the trim is D368MG Taupe Mirage. The sink portion had a sticker on the bottom that said Alpha Stone. Though Monaco cannot make one, another shop might be able to do so.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to give these people a call Northwest RV Supply

I was impressed with their stock of used and new obsolete Monaco parts.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Dave -- Missed you & Kathy in Q -- Give " Mesa Fully Formed" in Mesa AZ a call 480-834-9331-- If anyone can fix it they can -- And we would like to know the rest of the story -- If I can be of any help, let me know -- I`m in Gilbert, next door to Mesa -- Bill Willard
Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
If you're only wanting to replace the sink bowl try a mobile home dealer, RVs and older mobile homes share the same bathroom sinks in many instances . We have a mobile home supply here and I purchased a bath room sink there that fit the vanity in our HR... The sink isn't hard to remove and replace but requires you to be part contortionist.....
Old 02-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #5

Rest Of The Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Hey Dave -- Missed you & Kathy in Q -- Give " Mesa Fully Formed" in Mesa AZ a call 480-834-9331-- If anyone can fix it they can -- And we would like to know the rest of the story -- If I can be of any help, let me know -- I`m in Gilbert, next door to Mesa -- Bill Willard
Sorry we missed you and Ruby at Quartzsite. I think we arrived the day after you left.

The rest of the story? Well, alcohol was involved - but not in the usual way. We had not had a drop to drink the entire day.

It started a cascade of fumbles when Cathy dropped a measuring cup behind the washer/dryer. I was summoned to bring a flashlight. Between the two of us the flashlight joined the cup behind the w/d. Next came the 48" steel awning cane. With that I was able to hook the measuring cup and bring it up but the flashlight remained behind.

Cath went for the barbecue tongs planning to grab the flashlight with them. The problem with that was a wire rack hanging a little above the opening between the w/d and wall. The rack prevented reaching into the gap with something as large as the tongs and seeing what was happening at the same time. "No problem" says I. I'll simply remove the rack from the wall.

By now we were both anxious to have this Keystone Cop SNAFU over with. I rushed the rack removal by skipping the removal of the items stored in it, one of which was an unopened bottle of wine. After unfastening the rack I lifted it up and turned around to set it down on the floor. At that point the old vine Zinfandel rolled out of the rack and hit the sink punching a grapefruit-size hole in it. Hey, no problem reaching the flashlight with the tongs now and we did not spill a drop of wine!

Thanks, Bill, for the Mesa Fully Formed tip. Will check them out.

Also, thanks to the others who have responded. I will post a report of the outcome.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
Old 02-07-2011, 09:27 AM   #6

As posted above mobil home supply and used rv parts may have something that will work. Some of the mom & pop rv supply places have replacement sinks too. I guess the lesson learned here for me is make sure our wine bottles and no more than half full (that hasn't been a problem for us yet though!).
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Is that a Corian type sink and counter? If so, a counter top shop/dealer can cut off the sink and add a new one. Might even be able to mix a patch and repair the hole. These guys can do wonders with that stuff.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #8

I think we have a plan. Per the suggestions of a couple of guys on Monacoers we contacted Elite Repair and Remodel in Eugene, OR. (Elite Repair and Remodel, 541-255-6231 or 541-517-1716, Elite Repair and Remodel )
Erik worked with this material at Monaco and sounds like he can do the job well and cost effectively. Since we pass through Eugene on the way home this looks like a good fit.

Thanks again to all who took the time to offer suggestions.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sounds like you may have solved your problem .
Old 02-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Your mistake was not drinking the wine first.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
Your mistake was not drinking the wine first.
Bet they needed it after they saw the hole in the sink!!
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I forgot about Elite -- Eric worked on our coach at Harrisburg when he was a tech with Monaco -- He did one heck of a good job stopping the wind noise around the entry door & under the dash -- Bill Willard
Old 02-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #13

Elite Sounds Like A Stand-Up Outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
I forgot about Elite -- Eric worked on our coach at Harrisburg when he was a tech with Monaco -- He did one heck of a good job stopping the wind noise around the entry door & under the dash -- Bill Willard
Bill,

Elite was at the Source Engineering rally in Eugene last summer, I believe. Erik said it was not him so it must have been Marty, since I still have one of their business cards from that event.

In any event this should work out as well as can be expected. We both like the Eugene/Coburg/Springfield area and don't mind spending a day or two there when passing through. The makeshift plug that I put in the hole is holding up so the urgency factor has gone down.

As for drinking the wine - we did not open it until last night, four days later. We were too stunned the first night and preoccupied figuring out what to do about it until yesterday. It was pretty tasty, partially redeeming itself from the trouble it caused.

Best,
Old 02-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #14

The Plan Worked Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiplomatDave View Post
I think we have a plan. Per the suggestions of a couple of guys on Monacoers we contacted Elite Repair and Remodel in Eugene, OR. (Elite Repair and Remodel, 541-255-6231 or 541-517-1716, Elite Repair and Remodel )
Erik worked with this material at Monaco and sounds like he can do the job well and cost effectively. Since we pass through Eugene on the way home this looks like a good fit.

Thanks again to all who took the time to offer suggestions.
Just to close this discussion:

Erik from Elite Repair and Remodel did a great job. The new sink bowl looks better than new.

Anyone needing work on their coach should check out Elite Repair and Remodel in Eugene/Coburg. Erik's phone is 541-255-6231.

These guys have a good rep locally too. I was getting fuel at the Pacific Pride near Premier RV Park and mentioned that we were having Elite do some work on the coach to the attendant who immediately responded that they were good guys doing good work. Terry at the front desk here in the park knew them and spoke highly of them.

They do floors, cabinetry, plumbing, electrical, etc, on all brands of coaches.

I consider these guys a great find. It almost makes knocking a hole in the sink worth the trouble, though I'd rather have learned about Elite in a more productive way.