Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #1

other additives, primarily for color. I made a call to a friend of mine who is a chemist to see if there would be any reaction between sulfuric acid and mineral oil. He said that not only is mineral oil just fine in a battery, HE had used it for just that many years ago while working as a mechanic in his Dad's truck shop. He said that it worked great to stop the corrosion and outgassing so based on this information (and Edison's experience!) I added 4 ounces of USP grade Mineral Oil (intestinal lubricant!) to each cell in my 6 volt, deep cycle batteries. That amount seems to result in a blanket about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. If you take a cell cover off now while the batteries are charging, there are little tiny bubbles on the top of the oil. No more big popping bubbles to carry sulfuric acid out of the cells. We'll see how it works! I will report back in a few mon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #2

other additives, primarily for color. I made a call to a friend of mine who is a chemist to see if there would be any reaction between sulfuric acid and mineral oil. He said that not only is mineral oil just fine in a battery, HE had used it for just that many years ago while working as a mechanic in his Dad's truck shop. He said that it worked great to stop the corrosion and outgassing so based on this information (and Edison's experience!) I added 4 ounces of USP grade Mineral Oil (intestinal lubricant!) to each cell in my 6 volt, deep cycle batteries. That amount seems to result in a blanket about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. If you take a cell cover off now while the batteries are charging, there are little tiny bubbles on the top of the oil. No more big popping bubbles to carry sulfuric acid out of the cells. We'll see how it works! I will report back in a few mon

Old 06-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #3

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
thank is a great idea. let us all know the outcome.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:41 AM   #5

This post is a word for word copy from several other websites. None, including the original are attributed to anyone other than some mysterious engineer. All are questioned stronly regarding the damage that can be caused by doing this. The most significant is that the oil and acid will mix due to agitition going down the road and coating the plates, thus killing the whole battery. The posts are copied on boating websites, other rv sites and some general automotive websites. All urge caution in doing this. It is pointed out that Edison did in fact sell this oil, but it was completely different technology then and the batteries were stationary not moving down the highway. Just an FYI.
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:44 AM   #6

My experience with mineral oil.

About 2 years ago I was so sick and tired of the corrosion that I tried a couple of ounces in each cell. I was to the point that I was ready to get AGM's if it didn't work. It's been about 2 years with no corrosion. My concern has been that I'd get lazy and forget to check the fluid level. I don't know how oil and the plates would get along. But so far so good.
racer0624 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:36 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I dont remember what site but I read dozen and dozens of comments somewhere a few days ago that they all said they had done it and had no problems, one was an rv doing it for 7 years now, several others for two to three. But if all those people are liars than I guess we should not do this?????????
Old 06-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is some info for people

http://www.dasplace.net/UltrasportMods/UltrasportMods.h...INERALOILTOBATTERIES

http://www.tldirectory.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/...1183352.cfm#21183352

Read thru all of these posts there are skeptics and there are those who say they have been doing it for years. Some say they see no change in using mineral oil after they split the difference and did one battery with and one without.
http://www.tldirectory.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/...a/pging/1/page/2.cfm
Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MtManLee:
But if all those people are liars than I guess we should not do this????????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't call someone that was misinformed a liar.

While driving, IMHO, there would be enough motion to cause oil to contact the plates. If oil gets on the plates do you think this will affect the capacity of the battery??

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #10

Lee & Fran,

I've got no reason to lie and have no spare time to make up something. My last comment on this topic is that during the first year I owned this coach I had to remove corrosion VERY often. In the last two years all I've had to do is hose the road dirt off and add water.
racer0624 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #11

And the 7 years I've had this coach, I've had no corrosion and add a little water. Oh, and I don't use oil. I look at things very carefully when they are copies of an unattributed author that show up within a short time. I have no ax to grind and don't much care if you put oil in your battery. For short money, you would think the battery maker or RV maker would put it in if it made their batteries better? The place I'm at for the summer utilizes hundreds of batteries a year and almost 100% are Interstate. We called the distributer today and asked him. His response: "knock yourself out but no warranty if the battery fail and we find oil on the plates". Good enough for me.
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The operative phrase in Bubba's comment is "oil on the plates". The risk of that happening is small (in my opinion), but it is a risk, to be traded off against other risks (excess gassing, corrosion, etc).

If a battery cell with oil floating on the electrolye still gets low, then oil on the plates is a definite possibility. As long as the cell remains full (to the normal, recommended height), it seems there is almost no change that jostling the battery (short of turning it over on side) will get oil on the plates. I can't guarantee that, of course, but in all the discussions I have seen on this over the past 10 years, nobody has ever reported that actually occurring.

It's worth noting that the modern generation of chargers don't boil batteries like the old Magneteks did on most RVs for many a year, so the corrosion problem is much less an issue than it used to be.

All that said, I never used oil in my wet cell batteries and now choose to pay extra for AGMs that solve the problem with a different technology.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For what ever it is worth, I am on my 3rd motor home where I have added 2 OZ mineral to each cell. I have not had any problems. I got started on a previous MH where the cells were boiling over and I had to add water once a month. After adding the mineral oil I only had to check the water twice a year and only add very little water. I probably would not have had to add the oil to my present MH as I have a 3 stage charger. But habits are habits.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #14

What else would you expect from selling batteries?