Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Batteries

Hello, what do you do if where you store your MH for the Winter doesn't have power. What do you do with the batteries?
Scott
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
First choice, I would bring them inside and keep them charged. Second would be to fully charge them and disconnect them by running it if that was the only choice. A boat mechanic once told me (when the battery is disconnected) "if it goes in charged (storage), it will come back out charged"
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #3

Actually batteries will lose about 10% of their charge just sitting every month. So, "come back out charged" is a misnomer. If it were me, I'd add a solar charger for your batteries for about 80$ and disconnect them from any loads while sitting. That way they are always topped off by the solar charger. Flooded wet cell batteries need to be stored charged and kept charged. If they discharge, sulfates form that cause early battery failure.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks for the information, I haven't got the MH yet, but I think there are solar panels on the roof for chargeing the batteries. I will just have to make sure the snow doesn't collect on them. Scott
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To store for the winter.. Fully charge, then flip the disconnect switch

THEN go to the batteries themselves and do two things

First: Using nail polish or spray paint paint the wires connected to the POSITIVE terminal (most positive if you have a pair of sixes) RED

Second: on the wires hooked to the most negative... BLACK

Now, Disconnect the negative wires. and either tape them or wrap some tape (masking tape will do, or painter's tape) around the negative terminal to insure they don't re-connect.

As someone said, the battery will loose some charge.. but it won't be too bad.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
Actually batteries will lose about 10% of their charge just sitting every month. So, "come back out charged" is a misnomer. If it were me, I'd add a solar charger for your batteries for about 80$ and disconnect them from any loads while sitting. That way they are always topped off by the solar charger. Flooded wet cell batteries need to be stored charged and kept charged. If they discharge, sulfates form that cause early battery failure.
-Paul R. Haller-
I realize batteries won't come back %100 after a winter (especially where we live) unattended. This is the best the marina could do for those who weren't able to take them home and the marina did not have a place to store them or enough power to feed each boat. This may be the same scenario for slp45 when he stores his MO.

I am still trying to figure out if our MO shore power charges the coach and engine batteries or just the coach before buying anything we don't need. Maybe a call to Winnebago will help if no one here knows.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
csp

Monaco Owners Club
I am storing mine inside a barn for the winter. I have solar a solar panel on the roof but it does not do much good with a roof over the top of it. Should I plug it in to shore power to maintain the batteries. Will it hurt anything to have it plugged in for 4 or 5 months? Is there anything I should do such as check or watch for anything while it is plugged in? I know the real answer is to go about 1000 miles south until it warms back up.
Thank You
Chris
Old 12-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If you have a quality, 3 stage charger it won't hurt a thing.

However, if they are flooded cell batteries (have caps with "water" in the cells underneath), do check the water level at least monthly. You should do that whether in season or in storage, since the water in the cells can and will evaporate over time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #9

Don't have to worry about cold weather here (did have to wear long pants the other day,though) but when our mh is stored for winter I try to take it for a 30 - 50 mile exercise every 2-3 weeks, as well as, run the generator with either heat pump or ac on. We also store under roof so solar is not a good fix for us. If I cannot take the drive I try to always run the genny for 45 min to 1 hour every 2/3 weeks with the charger on. One year we were overseas for the winter so took all four batteries out and put them in garage with a trickle charger.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #10

Does the battery disconnect switch need to be on for the solar charger to charge the batteries.
OSL50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Odyssey PC2250ST Battery : Odyssey PC2250 : PowersTrideBattery.com : - Powerstride Battery
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
yes, the disconnect must be on for a factory solar charger to work, and it probably only charges the house battery.

On mine, shore power only charges the house battery, not the chassis battery.

It's really best to take the batteries out and store them in a warm place with a battery tender on them. Freezing is very bad for battery's.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote