Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #1

Batteries Don't Charge - 250 amp fuse blown?

I'm a full timer who doesn't move my 1991 40' Beaver very much.

My batteries don't hold a charge. I bought all new ones in 2010.

Recently I was looking at my electrical schematics for something else and saw that there is a 250 amp fuse between the coach batteries and the Heart "converter" (that's what they call it). I was thinking that if the fuse is bad, maybe that's why the batteries don't charge.

So, after work today, I made it my mission to find that 250 amp fuse. Of course, I really don't know what I'm looking for. The schematic says "Junction Block & 250 amp fuse (located above batteries)". I pulled out both battery trays - can't see anything that seems like it would be a fuse. I crawled underneath (twice - on gravel, ouchies) and saw one thing that could be a holder for a fuse but it doesn't look like anything I can see online.

That being said, this is an old rv and maybe they looked different back then.

I'm going to unplug from the shore power tomorrow morning and take whatever that thing is apart and see if it holds a fuse. If not, I don't know where to look. And who knows if it's what's causing the battery charging issue.

Are they any other owners of older rv's that have run into this problem?

Any input would be appreciated, preferably in words a non-repair person can understand.

(I hope all of this makes sense - after crawling around for a couple of hours I had a much needed drink... ok, I had 2).

Thanks!!
Jan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #2

Ok , I'll come and help, with the drinks that is.

I have 2 , 135 amp fuses on my coach , well hidden , 1 for coach and 1 for chassis batteries. You can test with a volt meter with the shore power off , should have battery voltage at both terminals , otherwise the fuse is blown.
I have a link for online pictures of what's available I'll post it.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:23 PM   #3

You may find what you have or what your looking for here.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...aker&FORM=IGRE

You won't need an exact replacement , just a similar mount and exact amps.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #4

Good Grief (Point that is)

Skip! I was born in Powell River! And my sister still lives there.

That is TOOO funny.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #5

Thanks Skip, but don't see anything that looks like it there.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I have two 300A fuses, one in the battery compartment and one near the inverter.

They are Class T fuses and look like the one in the below link

Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 5118 250A Class T Fuse: Sports & Outdoors

They fit into a Class T fuse block. Easy to replace.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #7

Funny about the Powell River thing for sure. I've only lived here since I retired; 7 years. House is on the edge of the Westview/Grief Point areas.

Heart brand , converter/invertor , was listed as an option for my 99 Newmar. No Idea if the company still exists. The invertor function is the reason for the 250amp fuse or C/B , if it was a converter/charger only, the fuse would probably only be 40>50 amp.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A 250 amp fuse will likely be a "T" class

To find it find the positive wire on the batteries (IF there is more than one try the largest) and follow that wire, Look for a block that is something like this

Wire-BOLT BOLT-device-BOLT BOLT-Wire

If you look real carefully you will note that each bolt pair is joined.

To check if fuse is blown,, A 12 volt trouble lamp is handy here but a common test light is easier to use I have 4 choices here and will describe 3

1: Flood light, this is like a 150 watt 12 volt lamp in a common work light fixture with battery clamps

Clamp one clamp on either side of "Device" in the above diagram, if light lights. fuse bad

Two: Trouble light, stanadre "Drop cord" type lamp socket but 12 volt battery clamps instead of 120 volt plug, 12 volt lamp as well 50-75 watts.

Standard automotive test lamp I'm going to look it up and bookmark.
http://www.perr.com/images/testlight.jpg

Many variations on that design all work the same
Old 07-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #9

Found it!

Here's what it looks like!! And I don't think it's blown.

However, I was doing something with the batteries and one of the connecting cables fell apart.. good grief. so now I have to get a new one.

In the meantime, now my 12 volt system isn't working and I don't know if its because the batteries aren't connected or because I took out the fuse.

Help??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5916.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	660.6 KB
ID:	68466  
Old 07-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #10

Removing the fuse or disconnecting the batteries, may have tripped a circuit breaker or taken out a low amp fuse on the converter. Or maybe, because of the inverter function, it requires the batteries hooked up to operate on 110 . I don't have any paper on Heart converters , so that's about all I can throw out.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #11

Thanks Skip. I put the fuse back in and reconnected the batteries and got my 12 volt system back up.

I think the fuse is ok. I'm going to put the charger on the batteries tomorrow, trickle charge, and see what happens.

I just found out that one of the guys that lives in this rv park was a boat electrician so I'm going to pick his brain tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'm covered in bruises (shoulders and butt) from crawling under the beast on gravel and I have consumed a bottle of well-deserved (in my opinion) cheap white wine. I found the fuse and I'm proud of myself.

Tomorrow I will talk to Willy and see if he has any ideas about dead batteries, 12 volt systems, fuses, etc.

Cheers and adios for now from Southern Arizona.
Jan

P.S. If you ever go to the Laughing Oyster Restaurant on Okeover Arm, my sister is Josi, one of the servers and her partner is Scottie, the host They usually work on the weekends.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #12

Your into the " two buck chuck " wine and didn't ask me over.

I'm deeply hurt.
Good luck straightening this out,; post if you need help finding info on the Heart system. Sleep well.

Have only done lunches at the Oyster. Will have to do dinner one day .

EDIT: Kind of wondering why no Margaritas ( ville)

Tags
batteries, fuse