Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2008, 03:29 AM   #1

I have a 2008 Alpine with 6 - 6v btteries..fully charged connected to shore power and disc shore power, shut off all main switches in Battery compartment, and batteries are down to 9 volts in the morning??? No inverter on but the light on the inverter is still on for some reason..Mel
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2008, 03:29 AM   #2

I have a 2008 Alpine with 6 - 6v btteries..fully charged connected to shore power and disc shore power, shut off all main switches in Battery compartment, and batteries are down to 9 volts in the morning??? No inverter on but the light on the inverter is still on for some reason..Mel
Old 08-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was just fighting the same sort of thing. I disconnected everything I could find. Then late in the evening I noticed a faint glow. There was at least one storage compartment light on. I was relying on the door switches to kill them and it wasn't happening. I turned the master off to the storage and my batteries held just fine. Just a thought.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi, you may want to have your batteries tested... they are most likely under warranty. If one goes bad it "steals" from the rest. This is the voice of experience, just went through this ourselves. Also, when not in use we turn off the batteries completely. Since changing out the batteries, we've had no low battery in the morning issues (knocking wood!). p.s. Apparently if one is bad you have to replace all of them...

Brenda, of...
Old 08-13-2008, 12:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Melorene, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Yes start with verifying the all the cells of all the batteries are good. Let us know what you find out and we can go from there if need be. Good lucka and enjoy the website.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:03 AM   #6

thanks for the replies. we are heading to interstate batteries tomorrow and they are going to check them all. I have an automatic waterfill system which fails often as it did in my previous rv which I removed after 2 batteries failed..didn't have any lights on and the kill switches were in the off position. Time will tell I hope. =M
Old 08-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #7

Chances are your inverter is still on. Look through your documentation. Chack switches in the coach and on the inverter itself. There must a switch to fully shut down the inverter.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:07 AM   #8

Well, Interstate said that the batteries are bad, probably due to the long time sitting before the sale and not getting water added right. we had to add a lot of water. the rig had been at some trade shows so maybe someone forgot to check them. The warranty has expired on the batteries but the dealer is helping us thru this..will see how it goes. will go to interstate today I think and replace them..thanks for all your replies. Mel and Lorene
Old 08-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #9

I just replaced a 3 year old battery. Could not keep charge up while dry camping last month--same issue of low voltage after a few hours. One of the two 6V had a bad cell. I took a chance and replaced only the bad battery, and so far, so good. 6V battery that I bought for former RV for $80 last year is $130 now at same dealer. Hope my SS check goes up by same proportion next year!!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:03 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
How can batteries in an '08 not be under warranty? Don't most batteries have a 5 year warranty? (Which is pro-rated for the time of use)... I'd check that further, if someone here hadn't reminded me of that is would have cost us hundreds of dollars more to replace ours. Good luck!

Brenda, of...
Old 08-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #11

had all 6 batteries replaced.. some had swelling on the sides..regarding warranty on 6 volt batteries, 6 months full warranty, 6 months prorated on Interstate batteries. mine were 17 months old when I bought the MH as a new vehicle a month ago. the dealer has offered to pay half as the factory has closed its doors. Thanks Uhlmanns
Old 08-17-2008, 05:51 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Well I'm glad the dealer is chipping in, and that the problem is solved! Happy traveling!

Brenda, of...
Old 08-17-2008, 11:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I guess some help is better than none but they should have been replaced before you picked up the coach. It was the responsibility of the dealer to maintain it while it was on their lot. Glad to hear that it is back to working well.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 AM   #14

Well, we are home and did a battery check with all switches off and now show a full charge so am glad that is over..thanks for all your shared responses..Mel and Lorene