Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgjessop View Post
Maybe I am not doing my math correctly.

The 6 volt batteries are 220amp hours but at 6 volts, so when I put 2 together in series do I not get 220amp hours at 12 volts?

If I put 2 12volt 120amp wired parallel, I get 240amp hours at 12 volts?

Tell me if this correct?

6) 6V 220amp = 660amp hours at 12 volts?
6) 12v 120amp = 720amp hours at 12 volts?

Thanks for help.

Yes you are right. Amps in a series circuit stay the same voltage rises. Voltage in a parallel circuit says the same and amps rise. The rise is the sum of individual amps or volts depending on which circuit you are

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
With the newer 12 volt DEEP CYCLE batteries and the price difference the question becomes an economic one. IF IF the 12s are deep cycles then you can replace at 3 1/2 years and still break even on cost compaired to the 6 volts. Now I would think the 12s would go near the 6s in life span so if we're me I would be looking at the 12 volts but I'm frugal(cheap) and for the record I run T 105s.

LEN

Old 09-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #17

Could you list a new 12v deep cycle battery because they are hard to find. The 12v RV/Marine batteries are not a deep cycle battery. When you actually look at true deep cycle batteries the prices will drop you to your knees.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
What most do not factor in is the effect of cell size allows the 6v batteries to work much harder with less stress and less heat build up which means less water loss and longer life.
We, too, went with the CostCo GC2 6v batteries because of the beefy plates. Like 1mainiac suggests, they are going to get stressed and abused. More than once caught "somebody" baking in the convection microwave while on battery power. It's gonna happen - not everybody is going to be as anal about budgeting energy as well as you are. Better safe than sorry. \ken

PS. Heard rumors that the new CostCo GC2s are no longer made by Johnson Controls, so performance stats may have changed.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #19

Some really good advice here.
When you heavily rely on solar, like we do, you do need a reliable battery bank.
Stay away from Hybrid Batteries and never mix and match, not even old and new.
If money is an issue you can go with 6 Volt GC batteries, but they need intense maintenance bec. of the constant charging and discharging.
If you want to go 'maintenance and worry free for many years' 6 Volt AGM batteries in series/parallel are the answer plus there will be zero corrosion because they are sealed.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #20

Thanks for all the great advice. I know that 6volt golf cart batteries are much better quality and are a true deep cycle battery. I ended up going with 8 of 120amp hour the rv/marine hybrid deep cycle/not really deep cycle batteries. The reason why I choose them is simply the cost and the fact they had 2 year free replacement warranty. I also wanted enough of battery bank to power 1 of our ac's. I have a 3000watt pure shine wave inverter and running 1 ac in our rv pulls about 950 watts when running and have been able to power the AC with solar and charge the batteries in full sunlight without any issues. I want to be able to have enough reserve to run the AC when the solar panels are only putting 400-600 watts of power out, so pretty much later in the day when the sun is not so strong and by that time the temps have come down and I don't need to run the AC. I are pretty sure I will destroy these batteries over time, and don't think they will last the 2 years. If they don't, they will get them back and I will get another new set. I will keep you guys posted on how it works out. Now I get joy of installing all these batteries and running all the 2 gauge battery cables I just got.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You got all that money invested in your batteries and your only running # 2 wire? I would want a minimum of 2/0, but 4/0 is the best, for your application.

You bought a new car but its got used tires.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Let's do the math: 8 X 120 = 960 AH's of which 480 AH's are usable before needing to be recharge back to Float SOC using either your Solar, generator or shore power.

So without running anything else that draws power from your Inverter, how many hours have you calculated that you can run one A/C before your battery bank hits about 12.1 - 12.2 VDC which is 50% SOC where they need to be re-charged before using them again?

Don't forget to calculate Inverter % loss as that chews up power just to run it.

The 12volt Side of Life Part 2

Also, most rooftop A/C's draw about 13 amps while the compressor is running. At least that's what my Dometic Penguin A/C's are drawing.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #23

I tend to agree with mgscott, you can easily have a 5% - 8% voltage drop which means the inverter can shut down while the batteries are still at 75% SOC. Been there, done that . You want to keep the voltage drop between the batteries and the inverter below 3%, 1% if possible.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #24

Ok looking at this thread had really confused me. So questions that I have are as follows. When we picked our new to us 2010 daybreak the dealer removed the two 6v batteries and installed one 12 volt deep cycle starting battery. The label says 23 amps @ 120 min. Looking to add a second battery for tailgating. Do I need to use a deep cycle starting or can I use a deep cycle?

What would be the formula to figure out the Amp hour rating of the battery already installed( motor home was just picked up beginning os august) .

Also some mentioned not to use two types of batteries I assume they meant either agm and wet or 6-12 volt. Is this correct.

Never was real good with dc.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post

Ok looking at this thread had really confused me. So questions that I have are as follows. When we picked our new to us 2010 daybreak the dealer removed the two 6v batteries and installed one 12 volt deep cycle starting battery. The label says 23 amps @ 120 min. Looking to add a second battery for tailgating. Do I need to use a deep cycle starting or can I use a deep cycle?

What would be the formula to figure out the Amp hour rating of the battery already installed( motor home was just picked up beginning os august) .

Also some mentioned not to use two types of batteries I assume they meant either agm and wet or 6-12 volt. Is this correct.

This should help!

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #26

I always rec-commend this link for 12v &battery questions.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1).

EDIT: and I see Richard types faster than I do.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #27

Battery Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post

Well, the dealer was only going the cheap route when he replaced the two 6volts with your deep cycle starting battery. The two 6 volts is a MUCH better alternative.

When you connect batteries in parallel, they should be identical ideally, and the same age. If you don't do this, what happens is they don't charge identically. One battery will always be undercharged compared to its stronger or younger brother.

If you don't use the RV all that much, chances are you don't get great battery life anyway. If you fit this situation, buy another of the same battery, and enjoy life.

If you expect to use this RV a lot, especially camping without shorepower available, then I would get rid of your existing battery, and buy two new GC2 6 volt golf cart batteries. Wire them in series. This will give you about 220 amp hours of capacity.....about double or more
what your current battery is providing.

Costco or Sam's club sells GC2 golf cart batteries for about $85 each.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Well, the dealer was only going the cheap route when he replaced the two 6volts with your deep cycle starting battery. The two 6 volts is a MUCH better alternative.

When you connect batteries in parallel, they should be identical ideally, and the same age. If you don't do this, what happens is they don't charge identically. One battery will always be undercharged compared to its stronger or younger brother.

If you don't use the RV all that much, chances are you don't get great battery life anyway. If you fit this situation, buy another of the same battery, and enjoy life.

If you expect to use this RV a lot, especially camping without shorepower available, then I would get rid of your existing battery, and buy two new GC2 6 volt golf cart batteries. Wire them in series. This will give you about 220 amp hours of capacity.....about double or more
what your current battery is providing.

Costco or Sam's club sells GC2 golf cart batteries for about $85 each.

Good idea might just do that. But wondering will this hurt the genny starting

Tags
advice, battery