Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #1

I had a hard time deciding where to post this but here goes . . .

I would like to have some suggestions on what kind of protective coating to put on the "floor" of my battery bay. I have all three batteries out and have removed the plastic pan. The steel framework and the steel flooring is starting to corrode and I want to stop it before it becomes a problem.

I have considered using a rattle can like Rustoleum but there may be some miracle out there that I'm not aware of.

About 15 years ago, on a travel trailer we had then, I used roofing cement thinned with mineral spirits and it worked very well for about 4 years. It completely protected the steel from the acid vapors. But after 4 years it started to come off in chunks. Also it was a mess trying to apply to all the nooks and crannies in the battery compartment.

What is the best our world has to offer these days? I've been considering something like the "lifetime guaranteed" bed liner stuff. Any ideas?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #2

I had a hard time deciding where to post this but here goes . . .

I would like to have some suggestions on what kind of protective coating to put on the "floor" of my battery bay. I have all three batteries out and have removed the plastic pan. The steel framework and the steel flooring is starting to corrode and I want to stop it before it becomes a problem.

I have considered using a rattle can like Rustoleum but there may be some miracle out there that I'm not aware of.

About 15 years ago, on a travel trailer we had then, I used roofing cement thinned with mineral spirits and it worked very well for about 4 years. It completely protected the steel from the acid vapors. But after 4 years it started to come off in chunks. Also it was a mess trying to apply to all the nooks and crannies in the battery compartment.

What is the best our world has to offer these days? I've been considering something like the "lifetime guaranteed" bed liner stuff. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Google POR-15. It is great stuff. It neutralizes the corrosion and creates a hard pantable finish. I used in my batt compartment and it is holding up well after 3 years.
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
POR15 That is the only product to use. Order on line
Old 04-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Once you get it preserved, line the tray with acid resistance rubber sheeting. Works fine/lasts a long time. This is what is done for Submarine Battery compartments.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have to agree with previous posters --- POR 15 is the way to go. I've done this several times on several vehicles. It's really tough stuff and works excellent for what you describe. Surface preparation is the key. The area should be cleaned well and any acid neutralized with a baking soda / water mixture. Just paint it on with a cheap paint brush. It'll be dry enough to touch in 3 or 4 hours and you can reinstall all the batteries the next day.

Be careful to wear vinyl or rubber gloves when you apply it. If it gets on you and dries, nothing short of a side grinder will get it off.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:31 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have used many of the POR 15 products and will continue to use them but did not know they had an acid resistant paint. The only product I have ever used in and around acid prone areas on any vehicle I have owned, operated or maintained, ranging from lawnmowers to jet aircraft, is Randolph's Acid Proof Battery Box Paint. There are a couple of other companies producing acid resistant paints, that meet FAA standards, but Randolph is the one I prefer. If the metal is properly prepared, this stuff is bulletproof.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #8

Hello;
A few weeks ago I went to AutoZone, they had quart size cans of HURCLES truck bed liner.
1 qt will couer a pu bed, so plenty to do your battery box.
Easy to apply just be sure to prepair the base metal as directed.
David

2006 Itasca Meridian 39K
Scratch & Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #9

Upon y'alls suggestions, I ordered a quart of POR-15 and the 8 oz. bottle of phosphate rusty metal treatment from the POR outlet on the internet.

I scrubbed the entire area twice with a baking soda solution to neutralize any acid remains. I rinsed the entire area each time with a pressure washer. I treated all surfaces twice with the POR phosphate solution. When it dried it was a nice dull white surface on all the bare and rusted metal areas. Very nice.

I applied two coats of the high gloss black POR-15 and it turned out beautiful. It has cured for two days now and it's like a new stone surface.

Time will tell. Thanks everyone.