Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read through all of the posts related to this and with this info and what I am experiencing I believe I have a problem.

In the past and until recently I always left the house batteries connected via the Battery AUX switch.

Until recently I was always adding water and the batteries would feel warm. Upon checking with Winnebago and then reading the coach manual I learned that the batteries should be disconnected via the BAT AUX switch.

While this stopped the water loss, I have a concern about maintaining charged batteries and not cooking them anymore.

My Parallax 7445 converter/charger only has on output and no charge wizard function. The 12 volt system is connected in parallel with batteries in normal operation. Without any intelligent charging I presume the batteries are getting cooked.

One of the 12 volt batteries is defective and will not hold a charge very long. I want to replace them both, but I am looking to add some sort of add-on to manage the charging properly and be connected full time.

I added the Battery Minder to handle the chassis battery and it has worked very well. I may wire the system so that the Battery Minder can handle all of the batteries, but I am not sure it can handle both seal and deep cycle batteries.

FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read through all of the posts related to this and with this info and what I am experiencing I believe I have a problem.

In the past and until recently I always left the house batteries connected via the Battery AUX switch.

Until recently I was always adding water and the batteries would feel warm. Upon checking with Winnebago and then reading the coach manual I learned that the batteries should be disconnected via the BAT AUX switch.

While this stopped the water loss, I have a concern about maintaining charged batteries and not cooking them anymore.

My Parallax 7445 converter/charger only has on output and no charge wizard function. The 12 volt system is connected in parallel with batteries in normal operation. Without any intelligent charging I presume the batteries are getting cooked.

One of the 12 volt batteries is defective and will not hold a charge very long. I want to replace them both, but I am looking to add some sort of add-on to manage the charging properly and be connected full time.

I added the Battery Minder to handle the chassis battery and it has worked very well. I may wire the system so that the Battery Minder can handle all of the batteries, but I am not sure it can handle both seal and deep cycle batteries.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I don't know anything about the battery minder, but I had an older 45 am magnetek unit as well. I replaced it with the upgrade 7355RU, from bestconverter.com, it has the three state charger and I have noticed no issues with battery at all.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, get rid of the 7445. On its best day it is a dog. Get a Progressive Dynamics PD9160 and Charge Wizard or a 9260 w/ built in Wiz. Either will babysit your batteries nicely with minimall water loss. It will pay for itself in 3 years with battery life to spare and no hassle for you except monthly water check.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
First, get rid of the 7445. On its best day it is a dog. Get a Progressive Dynamics PD9160 and Charge Wizard or a 9260 w/ built in Wiz. Either will babysit your batteries nicely with minimall water loss. It will pay for itself in 3 years with battery life to spare and no hassle for you except monthly water check. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I checked into the Progressive Dynamics 9245 (45 amp)which has the included wizard and the mounting dimensions seem to match. I will order one when we get home.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:25 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I could not wait. I ordered the Progressive Dynamics 9245 and installed it yesterday. It has a provision for a add-on device that indicates the status of the charger and battery condition...they sell for about $12.00. The installation was easy and only took 15 minutes. It runs quiet and you cannot hear the fan very much.

The new charger/converter almost immediately began to charge the 2 batteries. Today I disconnected the batteries, measured the voltage which was 12.8 on both. But after 4 hours the one battery had dropped to 11.2 which indicates to me that it has at least one bad cell. The other battery reads 12.6 which is OK.

I'll replace both batteries when we get home.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:
Well I could not wait. I ordered the Progressive Dynamics 9245 and installed it yesterday. It has a provision for a add-on device that indicates the status of the charger and battery condition...they sell for about $12.00. The installation was easy and only took 15 minutes. It runs quiet and you cannot hear the fan very much.

The new charger/converter almost immediately began to charge the 2 batteries. Today I disconnected the batteries, measured the voltage which was 12.8 on both. But after 4 hours the one battery had dropped to 11.2 which indicates to me that it has at least one bad cell. The other battery reads 12.6 which is OK.

I'll replace both batteries when we get home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was ur converter located under the sink with access obtained by removing a bottom drawer? Did u do the install yourself?
Old 04-14-2007, 05:00 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYTYER:

I'll replace both batteries when we get home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was ur converter located under the sink with access obtained by removing a bottom drawer? Did u do the install yourself? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it is located under the sink. I removed one drawer and a vent cover to gain access to the unit as well as the wire harness. It took about 15 minutes to remove the old one and install the new converter.

I did replace the batteries as well when I got home a few days ago. While it has been only a short time since doing this all seems OK for now the batteries are at 12.8 volts indicating full charge.