Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Battery Cleaning

Anyone that uses flooded cell batteries as house batteries, knows the importantance of battery maintenance. Keeping the cells topped off and the terminals clean is key to battery/battery cable life.

I came across a product at my local Wal Mart that does not only a good job of cleaning the battery terminals, but it lets you know if there is any acid present, which of course leads to corrosion. The product is called Acid Detector. It sprays a yellow foam. If there is any acid present, the foam instantly turns pink as visual indicator. It then neutralizes the acid while cleaning the batteries at the same time.

I’ve been using it for about a year now and I really like it. It alerted me to a leaking cell cap that I would have been unaware of otherwise. It’s much more user friendly than baking soda. I’ve only been able to find it at Wal Mart.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
paz

I have used the same product. It worked well, but DO NOT get it on your clothes. When it turns pink, it WILL stain. Fortunately, I had the foresight to wear old clothes for the cleaning job.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz
I have used the same product. It worked well, but DO NOT get it on your clothes. When it turns pink, it WILL stain. Fortunately, I had the foresight to wear old clothes for the cleaning job.
That's a good point. In fact it will stain when it's yellow as well.

I also forgot to mention how inexpensive it is. I picked up a replacement can at Wal Mart today for only $2.77. The last can lasted almost an entire year.

Craig

Old 11-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Baking soda is a powder, you can get a box of it (I think half a pound, perhaps a pound) at the dollar store for the advertised (Store name) price, You can often find it for less in other stores.

You can either sprinkle it on the battery or mix with water (Anywhere from think paste to thick paste) and sprinkle pour or spread it on the battery.. This product (Sodium bicarbonate) Is enviormental friendly by the way not a "Dangerous" or "harmful" chemical.

IF it encounters acid it instantly foams up Neutralizing the acid.

How save is this stuff... Well.. I also use it to make bread.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Well I'm safe, I only own OLD clothes.
Check that, my kids bought me a Mickey Mouse shirt at Disneyworld this last vacation.
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm
Baking soda is a powder, you can get a box of it (I think half a pound, perhaps a pound) at the dollar store for the advertised (Store name) price.
To each his own....been there done that with baking soda. While it does neutralize the acid, it does nothing as far as cleaning is concerned, in fact it leaves a mess once it dries. If you only want to use something that is safe enough to consume, then baking is probably your only option. The price difference is minute to say the least.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
I've only been able to find it at Wal Mart.

Craig
You can pick up a can of terminal cleaner at most any auto parts store. While there, pick up a companion can of termial protector. Sprays on red and will help inhibit future corrosion.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #8

Plain Coke will clean battery terminals just fine.
Blaster 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster 22 View Post
Plain Coke will clean battery terminals just fine.
So diet coke want work?
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Diet Coke makes the battery cables skinny and they won't carry as many amps.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It Keeps A Record, Too

Quote:

I came across a product at my local Wal Mart...called Acid Detector.
You can also count the times you've cleaned the batteries, from the number of pink circles on the driveway
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #12

soada water works great then hose the mess down a shot of oil and done for a year again cost? The Wife not Me it was her dry cow box I took from the fridge about 4 table spoons to a 1/2 gallon of water and a old paint brush in 5 min.done and only 3 beers yep need to keep My pipes clean as well..Bushman and no pink circles...
Old 11-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
To each his own....been there done that with baking soda. While it does neutralize the acid, it does nothing as far as cleaning is concerned, in fact it leaves a mess once it dries. If you only want to use something that is safe enough to consume, then baking is probably your only option. The price difference is minute to say the least.

Well, I rinse well and thus have never noticed that "Mess" you cite.

And as I said, I do use it on those occasions when I make Quick Bread so having it around is handy.

That said, Baking soda is indeed a cleaning agent.

Tags
battery