Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #1

Battery conections

I just bought a 93 Winnebago elante a couple weeks ago. I am parked in an rv park and hooked up to shore power. Over the last few days i noticed the automotive battery has been dying. When it does the power step and radio stop working. After reading my manual. I am under the impression that the step is powered by the house battery. The radio is as well when i select aux power For the radio power switch. However even in this mode it is loosing power along with the automotive battery. My question is, could i have a switch or setting wrong or should i be looking for a misswire in the system. Thanks
puplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I'd first unplug from shore power. Then take volt readings of all batteries. Then start the engine. After about 5 minutes of idling, take volt readings again. Then shut off engine, connect shore cord, repeat volt readings again. You now will know if your house and chassis systems connect when a charging voltage (+13.2v) is present. If not, either the battery isolator relay is not working or you don't have one. A battery isolator solenoid connects both battery groups together for charging. When charging stops, the two groups are again isolated from each other.

Do you have a 'boost' switch on the dashboard to connect both groups together to start the engine? If you do, you most likely have a BIS.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To check if charging is occurring, use a voltmeter on the batteries without charging active. Then activate charging - you should see about 1 volt increase. No change = no charging.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #4

I checked the house batteries, and they are charging and holding just fine. My battery switch has a dual / momentary (boost) switch. I use the momentary to jump the battery, and start the engine. The manual says that the dual is used to charge the house batteries from the alternator while driving, but makes no mention of going the other way, (charging the auto batery off the house charger).
Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #5

Battery switches
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170908_185307920.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	175930  
Old 09-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puplot View Post
I checked the house batteries, and they are charging and holding just fine. My battery switch has a dual / momentary (boost) switch. I use the momentary to jump the battery, and start the engine. The manual says that the dual is used to charge the house batteries from the alternator while driving, but makes no mention of going the other way, (charging the auto batery off the house charger).
Check to see if there's a voltage increase when the converter/charger is plugged in and the switch is turned to 'dual.' The only caution, if you don't remember to switch it the other way when parked with no shore power, you'll have all batteries go dead.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #7

No change in voltage
Old 09-09-2017, 01:45 AM   #8

The house charger typically does not charge the vehicle battery. The vehicle battery is charged by your alternator when the engine is running. If there are coach accessories wired to your vehicle battery, in my opinion that is incorrect. Most mh's have a relay or isolator that allows the vehicle alternator to charge both batteries when the engine is running and then when the engine is stopped there is no draw on the vehicle battery (except for parasitic draw fir radio settings, etc.).
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:47 AM   #9

If flooded lead acid FLA check cells w a hygrometer...you may have a bad cell.
Parasitic draw is present but should be minimal.
Other option is to have the batty load tested at a shop that sells battys...most auto parts...W World...etc
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurienTimmer View Post
The house charger typically does not charge the vehicle battery. The vehicle battery is charged by your alternator when the engine is running. If there are coach accessories wired to your vehicle battery, in my opinion that is incorrect. Most mh's have a relay or isolator that allows the vehicle alternator to charge both batteries when the engine is running and then when the engine is stopped there is no draw on the vehicle battery (except for parasitic draw fir radio settings, etc.).
In most newer RVs with a battery isolator solenoid, it DOES work in both directions. They connect when a charging voltage is detected, whether from alternator or converter/charger on shore power or generator. In older RVs they were only found in higher end units. They aren't that expensive and I wouldn't have an RV without one because it keeps batteries charged under most conditions without owner intervention.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #11

In your vintage MH the engine charging source may be directed to a diode isolator that splits the charging to both battery banks.

Diode isolators are not bi-directional, meaning the house charging system will not charge the chassis battery.

If that's the case, you can install a tric-L- charge device to handle that.

Some boost solenoids are not built to be on full time. Switching on the boost solenoid, full time, could burn it out.

Google " Battery Isolator " to see what they look like and see if you have one. It's a finned box with 3 medium size cables going to it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #12

Diode based isolators are older technology and impose a V drop of nearly 1V which means batty will not be fully charged.
Consistent under charging not the best practice for longevity and you are not getting the most of the batty capacity.
Look at batty combiners for a better alternative.
A search for Battery Isolator vs Combiner will provide lots more detail.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Diode based isolators are older technology and impose a V drop of nearly 1V which means batty will not be fully charged.
Consistent under charging not the best practice for longevity and you are not getting the most of the batty capacity.
Look at batty combiners for a better alternative.
A search for Battery Isolator vs Combiner will provide lots more detail.
What you said is correct, except the MH builders work around the voltage drop by running a sense wire from the alternators regulator, directly to the chassis battery.

With that, the alternator compensates for the voltage drop by outputting the difference. So you do get the correct voltage to both banks but the house will charge at the rate of the charged chassis battery.

Google " Duvac alternators ".
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Many coaches don't charge the starting batteries when connected to shore power. Often this isn't a problem if your RV doesn't use a lot of starter battery power when parked. If your coach does, there are several products (all do the same thing, but various price range) that will charge your starter battery when connected to shore power. They are very easy to install. Usually three wires, one to ground, one to house batteries and one to starting batteries.

This can also be done by simply connecting the two battery banks together with a single wire (positive to positive) , but is not really a safe method. Some do this and then remove the wire when they break camp, again, not recommended.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery