Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #1

Battery Connection

I am embarrased to say, but I accidently connected the leads on my batter backwards. I have no power when turning the ingnition. I am sure I have done some major damage. I have checked fuses and everything is ok. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to starte.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Besides regular fuses you will have a fusible link... check for a wire at the battery terminal that looks like the ends are burned or the wire is melted away.

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterinmo View Post
I am embarrased to say, but I accidently connected the leads on my batter backwards. I have no power when turning the ingnition. I am sure I have done some major damage. I have checked fuses and everything is ok. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to starte.

Thanks.
You may have ruined quite a bit of stuff since you accidently reversed the polarity of your electronics. Someone with more electrical knowledge than me may be able to help. My experience with this was back many years ago when a lady with an old Packard came in the service station for a new battery. They put one in and didn't realize their mistake untill after they hooked it up and nothing worked. The old Packards were a positive ground so were different than other cars of the time. They had to replace everything, guages, starter ignition, etc.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad you joined us. Hope you can enjoy the site. Sorry for your problem hopefully it doesn't turn out to be something major. I'm sure someone will be along that can answer your question. Wish you the best of luck and hope goes well. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A lot of todays electronics use diodes on the input power which are a one way gate so if you do hook things up backwards it will not damage anything. The problem is not everything uses diodes. Depends on what you mean by NO POWER? are you saying that none of the warning lights work on the dash or what are the other indications. I would supect the ECU is blown on the engine which controls those lights. Hopefully the Allsison transmission ECU didn't go also.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #6

If it is a fairly new unit they have fuss able links that will burn out or could be ground circuit breaker
Old 02-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess it would help if we knew what type of rig and age.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #8

Sorry for the lack of information on the original post. It is a 2004 Itasca Sunrise 32 ft. Chevy chassis with 8.1 litre engine.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Need more info on "no power". Interior lights, furnace fan, overhead fans, dash lights, radio, headlights.... none of these work??

I assume you have checked all the fuses on the fuse panel...correct? Do you have an inverter? If yes, most have two or three push button type of 12vdc circuit breakers on it. Check them and make sure they have been reset.

Do you have 12.8+ volts at the batteries?

Tell us what you have checked so far so we can eliminate the obvious.

Hope this helps

Ron
Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are way too many variations in units for us to give you much help. I would start measuring voltage with my meter where I know there is supposed to be power. When I find one without voltage it is lots of times obvious which fuse it blown. There is probably one or two which have blown.

This is was a round out way to suggest that you probably do not need to be messing around on the electrical things on your unit without the aid of a meter and if you do not have one, you should get one.

There may also be a write up on the Internet which will give a step by step procedure of how to find the damaged areas.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
KIX

You asked for a place to start..........If it was me I would remove the alternator first and have it bench tested.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterinmo View Post

Thanks.
No need to start removing anything just yet.
A simple test light will tell you what you need to know. Ground the clip and start poking around with the needle. If you expect power but have none, probably a fuse or fueable link, ( A wire made of soft copper, usually 2 sizes smaller than the main wire, designed to melt if overloaded.)
A bad alternator, or fusable link to, will not cause a no start condition, only a no Charge condition.
Start with the Main Power fuse, at the Central junction box, the one under the front hood, should be a fuse there probably 140-150 amp. I'll have to look up and see if they use a "link" there or a real fuse.
Since you did hook up in reverse, the fuseable link to the alternator is almost deffinately open, but again, will not cause a no start.
It will most probably not have damaged any thing else but the main and alternator fuses. The damage was done when you saw the spark.
K.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do your Actia panel gauges work at all now?

Any lights on the information cluster at all?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am thinking since there is 0 power, the chassis battery disconnect is not engaged. I would start there.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery