Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Battery disconnect switch

Today while working on the installation of my inverter, I hit the battery disconnect switch and hear the click of a solinoid somewhere up front of the side door where the switch is located. However, I flip the switch above it to turn on the interior light in the living area and on it comes as do all the 12 volt lights. Now the coach is UNPlugged from shore power while this is going on. I am unfamiliar with how this switch should work but I do believe I should not have 12 volt lights when it is in the disconnect position. Anybody got an idea?
Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #2

Just a thought, do you have another battery for the engine? Could be that light is wired from that.
Wi1dBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John How View Post
Today while working on the installation of my inverter, I hit the battery disconnect switch and hear the click of a solinoid somewhere up front of the side door where the switch is located. However, I flip the switch above it to turn on the interior light in the living area and on it comes as do all the 12 volt lights. Now the coach is UNPlugged from shore power while this is going on. I am unfamiliar with how this switch should work but I do believe I should not have 12 volt lights when it is in the disconnect position. Anybody got an idea?
Thanks!
Your thinking is correct if the Daybreak uses the same Battery Control Center that the Intruder does. My Bounder disconnect switches are labeled rather confusingly. The ON position (pressing the top of the switch) actually means the batteries are ON (or connected). The OFF condition means the batteries are disconnected.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The switch positions are labeled connect and disconnect, but either way the lights will switch on. The power is coming from the house batteries because when I physically remove the battery wires they go out. Before I unhooked the batteries though, I could hear a click when I make or break the switch.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #5

Defective solenoid?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Defective solenoid?

OR, someone bypassed the contacts. Leaving the solenoid in place.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok, I did some more trouble shooting today on the battery disconnect. As I said before, I can hear the solenoid click when I make the switch either way ( connect or disconnect) but the battery does not disconnect, it is always connected and the lights stay on. I enlisted some help today while I checked voltages. The top solenoid in the BCC is the disconnect. As I said it's always connected, 12 volts on both side of the large battery terminals. The switch is a three position rocker, centered is neutral, up is labeled "battery disconnect" and down is labeled "battery connect". When the switch is held up, I get 12 volts the the grey control wire at the solenoi, and when the switch is held down, I get 12 volts at the purple control wire at the solenoid. I can hear the solenoid click when the switch is thrown either way but the battery is never disconnected. Sounds to me like a bad solenoid, do you agree? There is a black plastic affair on the top of this solenoid with a pair of 5amp fuses in it. Possibly one of them is a spare as I don't any wire running to it, they are both good though. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Another thing I just discovered, and it seems wrong to me, is that the bottom relay which I think is the battery boost for starting, is always energized and has 12 volts in and out even with the ignition off. I removed the ground lug at the car battery and then I see no voltage to one side of that solenoid and 12 volts from the house battery on the other side. It just doesn't seem that the two batteries should be connected all the time.

I did try disconnecting the house batteries with the switch while I had the car battery ground lug off and they still did not disconnect.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like the battery boost (aux Start) relay is stuck on, connecting the two batteries all the time. If the disconnect relay clicks it is probably operating but the Aux start relay is bypassing that relay. Could be the aux start relay or it's switch.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
YC1

A couple of pictures would help tremendously.

As for the Boost relay being energized all the time I think you are getting fooled.
First, feel it to see if it is warm or hot. Then measure the voltage on the small terminals that control it. Since you removed the ground from one of the battery banks and the voltage went away on one side of the solenoid it appears it is NOT energized all the time.

IF you see voltage on one of the little terminals and 0 volts on the other small terminal then it should be energized and you would see voltage on both sides of the large terminals.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
A couple of pictures would help tremendously.

As for the Boost relay being energized all the time I think you are getting fooled.
First, feel it to see if it is warm or hot. Then measure the voltage on the small terminals that control it. Since you removed the ground from one of the battery banks and the voltage went away on one side of the solenoid it appears it is NOT energized all the time.

IF you see voltage on one of the little terminals and 0 volts on the other small terminal then it should be energized and you would see voltage on both sides of the large terminals.
Ok, I think I see what you mean and I am getting fooled. Just because there is 12v on either side does not mean it is energized since each side is connected to a 12v battery. When I disconnect at the car battery, one side of this relay(or solenoid) goes to zero so it s not energized all the time.

Here is a pic of the BCC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-938915675.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	323.5 KB
ID:	50172  
Old 11-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
YC1

OK. Part two. The relay on top appears to be your "salesman solenoid". It also appears to be a "latching" type solenoid. Meaning it needs voltage to energize it but not to stay energized.

The black plastic split loom is blocking the picture but it almost seems to have a light wire jumper from the left to the right large posts.

To check to see if the solenoid is cycling on and off you need to remove all of the wires from one of the large posts. Remove the one that feeds the fuse panel or circuits and not the one from the battery feed. Use a nut and bolt to keep them together and wrap them with a rag to prevent metal contact or you will have a big problem.

Without a schematic I cannot be 100% certain this test will work. Now cycle your on/off switch while listening for the clunk of the relay. Then measure the voltage on the empty post to see if voltage is cycling on and off. If it is the solenoid is ok. If not AND you did hear it clunk, use the handle of a screwdriver and wake it up with a good whack.

Of course, the other thing to note is removing the output side of the solenoid should immediately turn the interior lights off if not bypassed somehow.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks very much for your experienced help YC1, I will follow your TS directions later today and see what gives. I also found this PDF which seems to give a good explanation of the workings. It should be but isn't (well until now) included in my Damon manual.
http://windsurf.mediaforte.com/roadt...5322019100.pdf
Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
YC1

Excellent schematic. I saved that one. So simple.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect