Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #1

Battery disconnect switch position (charging)

Do the battery disconnect switches have to be in the "ON" position when connected to shore power source to charge batteries?
ToledoCharli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Loaded questions. What brand and type motor home do you have? Each manufacturer may have a different set of parameters to go by.

In my case, 2008 Winnebago Destination, I have to leave the disconnect switches in the "ON" position, and I also have to turn the step off as it draws more than the converter and solar panel can keep up with.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
In my case, 2008 Winnebago Destination, I have to leave the disconnect switches in the "ON" position, and I also have to turn the step off as it draws more than the converter and solar panel can keep up with.
I strive to understand.
I don't understand the part about turning the steps off. Does this refer to the retractable steps ? Thought they only drew power when they operated.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
According to Winnebago, here seems to be a constant draw from the steps when they are in the on position. I was turning my disconnects off and when I would return to my MH the batteries would be down. I thought there was a problem with the converter and called Winnebago. The technician walked me through by telling me to leave the disconnects on or the charger would not charge the batteries. (I guess that is just the easy way they have it wired.) He also stated to turn the steps off because there was a constant draw when the steps are on. Go figure.

I did what he suggested and I have had no problems with charging since doing that on MY Winnebago. I'm fortunate that my step switch is just inside the door. I don't want to leave the step out (nor crawl through a window) so I close the screen, the step goes in and I reach in through the scree door opening and throw the switch.

Works for me.

I'm sure some other Sea Breeze owners of that year will not give some better advice.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
It definitely would help the OP to get helpful answers if make, model and year was part of the post.

On my 2003 Winnebago the batteries will charge even when the house battery disconnect switch is tripped. Compare that to Wayne's report on his different year & model Winnebago and you can see how "it depends" is the only answer that can be given unless the exact year, make, and model are known.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoCharli View Post
Do the battery disconnect switches have to be in the "ON" position when connected to shore power source to charge batteries?
Just curious, why would want the disconnect switches off when connected to shore? These switches are provided to disconnect the batteries when not connected to shore power.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
why would want the disconnect switches off when connected to shore?
It sure makes the battery equalizing process easier !!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Just curious, why would you want the disconnect switches off when connected to shore?

Jim E
I used to disconnect my batteries when on shore power before I updated the converter.
The old Magnetek 7345 converter only had one stage and would only charge the batteries at 13.7 volts. When I stored it plugged in, the converter would overcharge the batteries and cause them to gas out. If I didn't check the acid level often enough the battery water would run low. Now that I have a 3 stage Progressive Dynamics converter I leave my battery disconnect switched on (not off) all the time.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I used to disconnect my batteries when on shore power before I updated the converter.
The old Magnetek 7345 converter only had one stage and would only charge the batteries at 13.7 volts. When I stored it plugged in, the converter would overcharge the batteries and cause them to gas out. If I didn't check the acid level often enough the battery water would run low. Now that I have a 3 stage Progressive Dynamics converter I leave my battery disconnect switched on (not off) all the time.
Exactly, been there done that.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Just curious, why would want the disconnect switches off when connected to shore? These switches are provided to disconnect the batteries when not connected to shore power.

Jim E
I learned a lot last year when I started doing maintenance on my house batteries. I was connected to 50 amp and thought I could throw my house battery disconnect switch and that the shore power would provide 12v to the coach via the inverter/charger. Not so on my coach so everything has to shut down for me to do house battery maintenance. Sure would be nice though....

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoCharli View Post
These things are all wired differently. If I was in your place, I'd call the manufacturer and ask them, be sure you have the make, model, year and VIN.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #12

We generally only spend weekends at our semi-stationary RV so I turn the batteries on once the shore power is on then monitor the batteries since we have the old B-W (Magnatec) 6345. Once we up-grade that, I'll monitor the new charger and operate it accordingly..
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #13

ToledoCharli,
According to the 2011 Thor ACE Owners manual, page 60:

The disconnect switch must be in the ON position while plugged into shoreline power to charge the battery(s).

Always helps to read the manual that is available from the Mfg.

Dave
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #14

Battery dis-connect follow up 2011 Thor A.C.E.

Barry Hughes (Thor ACE factory rep) informed me that the ACE will charge with disconnects in either the on or the off position. Talked with Barry end of last week and he indicated he was sitting with the party responsible for completing the ACE manual so maybe I won't have to ask so many questions. Thanks for all of your input.
ToledoCharli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging