Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #1

Thumbs up Battery Filler, Pure Genius I tell you!

Before everyone chimes in to promote their auto fill devices, let me say some of us still like to do the touchy-feely thing and add water the Old School way. I'm one of those.
There are many ideas to accomplish the task but I ran across this one in an RV Publication the other day and thought it to be Pure Genius and just had to pass it on.

Take an empty Ketchup Bottle, the kind with the large lid that stands upside down. Wash it out, get a piece of clear plastic hose (I used 3/16" OD that I have for my lube oil sample pump but I'm sure 1/4" might be better). Insert the hose into the original duckbill. Add your distilled water and squeeze the bottle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170511_142019.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	161784  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #2

I have one of these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plews-75-...&wl13=&veh=sem and really liked it as it automatically shut off when the battery was full. I now have the Pro Fill system so I can fill all of the batteries at the same time.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #3

That sounds like an outstanding idea. I occasionally have to add some water to my batts so, I think I'm gonna try that one. Thanks for passing it on.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #4

Nice idea. I just use one of those sport drink bottles with a pull up to open valve. I too like the old fashioned, hands on approach. I may be old fashioned but I am not old. I am retired.
In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #5

I use a cheap ($0.99 at Wal-Mart) ketchup type squeeze bottle and a clear vinyl hose. Works great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20170514131151992.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	161819
Old 05-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #6

Guess I'm odd man out. I used a turkey baster, filled it right out of a gallon jug of distilled water, but my battery trays pull out far enough to look down into each cell.
No longer have to use the turkey baster, bought Exide sealed lead-acid continous-use batteries for house and Exide sealed start batteries for chassis 3 years ago.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Before everyone chimes in to promote their auto fill devices, let me say some of us still like to do the touchy-feely thing and add water the Old School way. I'm one of those.

If you add a couple of tablespoonfuls of mineral oil to each cell you'll never have to add water again.

The easy solution is to not have to do it in the first place.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
If you add a couple of tablespoonfuls of mineral oil to each cell you'll never have to add water again.

The easy solution is to not have to do it in the first place.
Close but not quite. I've had mineral oil in my 6 year old batteries since new. My coach is plugged in 24/7 unless we are traveling. My converter operates at 13.6 - 13.7 VDC. I add water about every 3-4 months.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Close but not quite. I've had mineral oil in my 6 year old batteries since new. My coach is plugged in 24/7 unless we are traveling. My converter operates at 13.6 - 13.7 VDC. I add water about every 3-4 months.

Perhaps you don't have enough oil in the battery or some other issue like charge rate.

I check my batteries, which is also never left unplugged, once per year and never have to add water.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think the difference between some that need water more often is the use. Just like Dennis, my coach is plugged in 24/7 and has a lot of equipment running, even while parked alongside my house between trips. My charger is adjusted correctly and the battery bay is dry and dusty. With that said, my six batteries will use about 2 pints every three months.

Dennis, I like your battery filler, but it still doesn't beat the automatic system. On yours, you still have to take caps off, which can be difficult on back batteries or where hold downs or cables cover the caps, and then fill. With the automatic unit, you just squeeze the bulb while the filler tube is placed inside a jug of distilled water and you're done. No dirty hands or clothing.

To me.....the secret of battery life.....is the ease of filling. Make it difficult and you will put off doing the chore.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think the difference between some that need water more often is the use. Just like Dennis, my coach is plugged in 24/7 and has a lot of equipment running, even while parked alongside my house between trips. My charger is adjusted correctly and the battery bay is dry and dusty. With that said, my six batteries will use about 2 pints every three months.

Dennis, I like your battery filler, but it still doesn't beat the automatic system. On yours, you still have to take caps off, which can be difficult on back batteries or where hold downs or cables cover the caps, and then fill. With the automatic unit, you just squeeze the bulb while the filler tube is placed inside a jug of distilled water and you're done. No dirty hands or clothing.

To me.....the secret of battery life.....is the ease of filling. Make it difficult and you will put off doing the chore.
I agree, I'm old school and kinda like digging in the dirt, sometimes. This device really caught my eye. So simple AND using a recycled bottle saving the planet all in one move.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I use a cheap ($0.99 at Wal-Mart) ketchup type squeeze bottle and a clear vinyl hose. Works great.

Attachment 161819
I like!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #13

I just use a drinking straw

a finger on the top after dipping it into the water, then add it to whichever cell needs it

easy

why does everyone make such a fuss?
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery