Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2009, 04:15 AM   #15
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
Hi there. Care to expound on the comment? If anything a question is answered with 1-2 correct answers and the rest are of the form, "Well I don't have the same XXX as you and have never had the problem, and really don't know anything about the problem BUT HERE IS WHAT I WOULD DO!"

It was meant to be a joke but holding still some truth to the matter. I can remember the days before the Internet and research was much more slow than today with the aid of forums of people in the know.
One reason you get an array of different answers on many questions is due to the fact that not enough information of the particulars are divulged; such as year, make, model, scenario of how things act under specific conditions. There is nothing like having hands on diagnostics but after 35+ years I can do fairly well with enough info.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DAN L The specific gravity can tell you the true state of charge in a battery. For example if 1.210 or less it should be recharged. Also if there is more than a 30 point difference between cells it should be replaced. This is what I should have done instead of worrying about the gassing. This will be a good tool in addition to the charge wizard. Hope I answered your question.
Happy Trails
James Wilson

Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
DAN L The specific gravity can tell you the true state of charge in a battery. For example if 1.210 or less it should be recharged. Also if there is more than a 30 point difference between cells it should be replaced. This is what I should have done instead of worrying about the gassing. This will be a good tool in addition to the charge wizard. Hope I answered your question.
Happy Trails
James Wilson
my point was HYGROMETERS mostly measure relative humidity in air, HYDROMETERS can be used to measure the specific gravity of the electrolyte solution in the cells of SOME, not all, batteries.
if you really purchased a HYGROMETER to use in conjunction with measuring battery function i wanted to know how you were making out. i thought i might learn something new.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
Hi there. Care to expound on the comment? If anything a question is answered with 1-2 correct answers and the rest are of the form, "Well I don't have the same XXX as you and have never had the problem, and really don't know anything about the problem BUT HERE IS WHAT I WOULD DO!"

The O/P said "Why didn't I do this two years ago"

The answer was "Because you did not come here and get good information"

There are many things I know about motor homes due to the various forums I visit every day... I mean, up till very recently I did not know that the law of the land (not just physics) required I have brakes on my towed (Trust me when I tell you that they are required BY LAW, at least in Michigan)

And I now the best way to deal with several other issues on my motor home thanks to posts in these and other forums.

If, 2 years ago, the O/P had not yet come here or one of the other forums, and learned.. That is why he would not have done it 2 years ago.

As I said, years ago when I first started visiting the forums I knew little.. Learned a lot since joining my first RV forum... Many years ago.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DAN L I am glad you clarified that question. I kept wondering why my batts were measuring 90% humidity when I wanted specific gravity.OK you got me good on that one.

OK the reason I wondered why I waited two years is laziness. I was going to join the procrastinaters club but I kept putting it off. It was sort of a rhetorical question. 4 years ago I replaced an existing converter on a 5th wheel with a pd9160 and charge wizard so when I traded for the MH I just got lazy

Happy Trails
James Wilson
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The O/P said "Why didn't I do this two years ago"

The answer was "Because you did not come here and get good information"

There are many things I know about motor homes due to the various forums I visit every day... I mean, up till very recently I did not know that the law of the land (not just physics) required I have brakes on my towed (Trust me when I tell you that they are required BY LAW, at least in Michigan)

And I now the best way to deal with several other issues on my motor home thanks to posts in these and other forums.

If, 2 years ago, the O/P had not yet come here or one of the other forums, and learned.. That is why he would not have done it 2 years ago.

As I said, years ago when I first started visiting the forums I knew little.. Learned a lot since joining my first RV forum... Many years ago.
John, I have learned a ton by reading on this, and other, forums. My point was, and is, that most often only one or two posts actually related to the problem and offer a valid solution. Most of the others have nothing to to with the OP and if they do, they give totally false information.

It takes a bit to sort them out.

I have found that any thread longer than 6 posts is overkill and has drifted away from the OP.

And I am as guilty as anyone!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote