Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Battery Gassing Off Charger

Well this is a new one on me. I uncovered my batteries to check the water and they have continued gassing or bubbling overnite after being disconnected from power. They are low on water as expected but the plates are still covered. These are 6 volt interstate workaholic deep cycles. Should I add water or pull them out? They are only about 2 years old. I do leave the MH plugged in but thats mainly for the AC in this Fla. heat. So is this normal?
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Add water, but why are they still bubbling? You said it was disconnected from shore power and no generator running? The bubbling lasts after the charger goes off, but generally not after more than 10-12 hours have elapsed.

Sometimes a high rate of discharge can cause bubbling due to heat. Is that a possibility?
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
IF you do not have a high rate of discharge intentionally, look for a shorted cell in the batteries. Bubbling has been an indicator of this problem. If every thing is good, you should get many 5 to 10 years out of batteries.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary and Mike thanks for the replies. This is going on 2 days now and the bubbling has subsided somewhat but is present in both batts in all cells. My converter is a single stage with a constant 13.6vdc. I believe it may be slightly overcharging in this summer heat so maybe santa can think about a 3 stage with a charge wizard this winter.
I am going to reinstall them and do a load test. If they do good I will get an auto water system and just watch them a little closer. If not then I would be forced to get new batts and converter now. With the change left over from 500$ I could buy a hot dog or 2. Oh well.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds to me like its time to invest in a good quality converter/charger. $200 but it will save you money on batteries.

My 2002 Dolphin LX had a nice Magnetek 9000 charger in it. 50A and 2 stage (Acceptance and float). What kind is in your 04 that has only one stage?
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well Gary after I looked I do have a PD9160 with current limiting but it always puts out 13.6 volts. I just ordered the charge wizard to go with it. I would have done that earlier if I had just looked.
I leave it plugged in all the time for the AC here in Fla. but I'm sure you are familiar with that.
Thanks for the help
Old 07-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Questions:
1: How many batteries do you have?
2: Were ALL CELLS on ALL BATTERIES gassing?

3: If the answer to the first is 2, and the answer to the second is YES, I have no clue
Old 07-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
#1 2batteries both 6 volts
#2 Yes both batts are gassing. They were off the charger since yesterday( monthly exercise) and I checked them tonight. I could hear a slight gassing but did not remove the caps. Also the voltage was normal. I think the gassing may be normal with the charger set on 13.6vdc. That is why I just ordered a charge wizard for my converter so in an idle state it will cut back to 13.2vdc. Happy trails.
James Wilson
Old 07-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would think that if the converter is not powered, gassing should stop fairly quickly.. Unless there is a 2nd issue I don't yet know about

PD-9160 with wizard.... VERY HARD TO beat that one.. There are a couple of things that can set one converter above most all others.. and that charge wizard is one of 'me

It properly controls the charge to do a very nice BULK charge (14.x volts) then an absorbtion charge (14.y, y is less than x) then drops to a float voltage not too far removed from what you have now.. And if it sits there for long enough it dues a quick 15.z run to equalize and/or desulfate the batteries.. This will, in time, boil them dry.. Mine takes a year to get 'em down to where I need to and water.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Happy Ending
Well I received my charge wizard, installed it and it seems to be working good.
Naturally it started on normal 13.6 but I was impatient so I manually switched it to the trickle charge. My MH voltmeter tracks along exactly with the advertised voltage. I just left it and it was showing 13.2 vdc.
Now can anyone explain to me why I did'nt do this 2 years ago?

James Wilson
Old 07-30-2009, 03:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Happy Ending
Well I received my charge wizard, installed it and it seems to be working good.
Naturally it started on normal 13.6 but I was impatient so I manually switched it to the trickle charge. My MH voltmeter tracks along exactly with the advertised voltage. I just left it and it was showing 13.2 vdc.
Now can anyone explain to me why I did'nt do this 2 years ago?

James Wilson
Lack of information you get from this forum!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Lack of information you get from this forum!
Hi there. Care to expound on the comment? If anything a question is answered with 1-2 correct answers and the rest are of the form, "Well I don't have the same XXX as you and have never had the problem, and really don't know anything about the problem BUT HERE IS WHAT I WOULD DO!"

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:21 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
HAMGUY
I can't answer for anyone else but I took it as a joke.
My son told me about this website several years ago and I am an avid reader here. There is info here that would cost a fortune to accumulate elswhere. I know there are other good rv forums but I like this one so have stuck with it. That said any time you ask a question from a group you will have answers that are sometimes not useful but people just wanting to join the fun.I might have been guilty of that myself.

Anyway I bought a hygrometer so I can get a better feel for my batteries charge state. Now as soon as it quits raining maybe I will use it or maybe when it cools off. Now thats a joke bec ause I live in Fla. In my old age I am much less tolerante of this heat
Happy Trails
James Wilson
Old 08-01-2009, 01:03 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
HAMGUY
I can't answer for anyone else but I took it as a joke.
My son told me about this website several years ago and I am an avid reader here. There is info here that would cost a fortune to accumulate elswhere. I know there are other good rv forums but I like this one so have stuck with it. That said any time you ask a question from a group you will have answers that are sometimes not useful but people just wanting to join the fun.I might have been guilty of that myself.

Anyway I bought a hygrometer so I can get a better feel for my batteries charge state. Now as soon as it quits raining maybe I will use it or maybe when it cools off. Now thats a joke bec ause I live in Fla. In my old age I am much less tolerante of this heat
Happy Trails
James Wilson
maybe you can use a hydrometer to measure specific gravity in a battery. i don't see how a hygrometer will help in this regard.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote