Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
You need to update your profile adding the make, model and year of your coach. Also we need to know what you have in your battery bank, it sounds like you have two 12 volt batteries, are they both in the house bank or is one for the chassis?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I take care of my batteries. Yet the house batteries, which are only three years old had to be replaced. They failed the load test. It happens.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
You need to update your profile adding the make, model and year of your coach. Also we need to know what you have in your battery bank, it sounds like you have two 12 volt batteries, are they both in the house bank or is one for the chassis?
2008 holiday rambler vacationer 340 cummins this is in my signature.

2 12 volt chassis batteries and 2 6 volt house batteries.
Purchased the chassis batteries aprox 3 years ago. Im thinking that I will add a trickle charger to the next set of batteries and hopefully do better then three yeard.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #18

We just replaced all 6 of ours on Friday. They were aprox 3 years old and all of them had dead cells. Luckily we live a couple of miles from Deka Battery and he was able to purchase top of the line batteries at a discounted cost. Still ended up costing us $650.00.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Battery issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Ok here are the results of isolating the batteries. One showed 100 % charge while the other showed 55% and less then 12 volts. So it seems I have one bad battery.

So you are having trouble with your chassis batteries. What inverter/charger do you have and is it set up to charge the chassis batteries after the house batteries are charged? If not the chassis batteries will only charge when the engine is running, If you can, change the settings, or a trickle charger would be a good idea. If you want help with the charger set up tell us what make, model you have.

Quote:
2008 holiday rambler vacationer 340 cummins this is in my signature.

2 12 volt chassis batteries and 2 6 volt house batteries.

Purchased the chassis batteries aprox 3 years ago. Im thinking that I will add a trickle charger to the next set of batteries and hopefully do better then three yeard.

Your info may be in your signature but you posted on this thread 4 times with no signature, and no info in your profile. It is hard to help if we do not have that info.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #20

Not sure why my signature showed blank..strange..anyways the convertor is a pro dynamic intell with built in wizzard. The chassiss batteries do not get charged from the convertor.
I have an external charger and every week or two I charge them up. Recently the chassis batteries were discharging faster then they should even though dissconected. As advised I unhooked the batteries and discovered one battery fully charged while the other was dead.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Batteries 3 years old = replacement time! They will let you down when you least expect it! Don't ask how I know this : )
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Not sure why my signature showed blank..strange..anyways the convertor is a pro dynamic intell with built in wizzard. The chassiss batteries do not get charged from the convertor.
I have an external charger and every week or two I charge them up. Recently the chassis batteries were discharging faster then they should even though dissconected. As advised I unhooked the batteries and discovered one battery fully charged while the other was dead.

Sorry about the signature line.

Sounds like you have the solution, new batteries and an echo charger. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #23

Yes with help from you guys I have figured the problem and fix however I have one more related question.

I dont want to hook the bad battery to the good one and I dont need to start the coach for about a month. I am wondering if one 12 volt battery will have enough power to operate the slides and electric awning temporarily until I get new batteries. I assume the reason for two 12 volt batteries is for cranking power to the engine?
Old 05-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Yes with help from you guys I have figured the problem and fix however I have one more related question.

I dont want to hook the bad battery to the good one and I dont need to start the coach for about a month. I am wondering if one 12 volt battery will have enough power to operate the slides and electric awning temporarily until I get new batteries. I assume the reason for two 12 volt batteries is for cranking power to the engine?

You should not hook the bad battery with the good one, although when up you replace the bad you should replace both. The chassis batteries (your 12v batteries) normally do not drive the slides and awning, they are used for the engine, the house batteries (your 6 volt batteries) are for the awning and slides, although I do not know your coach, so it could be different.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I take care of my batteries. Yet the house batteries, which are only three years old had to be replaced. They failed the load test. It happens.

On a previous boat for 12 yrs. I was very pro active on taking care of my two marine group 31 batteries being used for house current and every time I would only get 3yrs. out of them. They have always been Deka's and they were not full deep cycles. Three yrs. is it.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #26

When chassis batteries are on disconnect the slides and awning dont work. I agree that the battery should not be hooked back with the good one and thats why I was asking if the one battery would work temporarily for the slides. I will be buying a new pair as mixing old with new is not good.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
You are beyond my expertise, you need someone that is familiar with your coach.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:27 AM   #28

Thanks for the help guys. I will start a new thread with my one battery question.
Cheers....

Tags
battery