Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #1

Battery issue

Chassiss batteries were dead after three weeks of storage ( disconnect engaged)
Took about 18 hours to charge them back to 100 %. Left them for 6 days ( disconnect engaged) and they depleted to 55 % 12.2 v.

Currently charging them again and it is also taking many hours. Normally they would go a week or two and still read 100 % on the charger.

The batteries are aprox 3 years old........my thoughts are either the batteries are toast or there is a phantom draw ( strong) from the transmission or ecm cables as they go straight to the terminal s bi passing the disconnect. Im leaning towards the idea that the batteries are simply toast.......

Do you battery pros agree?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #2

I had the same problem with my chassis battery and thought no way could the battery be the problem as it was only two years old. Before I had the problem I could leave it unplugged with the disconnect switch in the off position for several weeks and it would maintain it's charge. There is a phantom draw on it, but it shouldn't totally discharge the battery in a short period of time.

When I started having the problem, it went from that to a couple of days to discharge, down to a couple of hour to discharge from a full charge. I kept messing with it until it finally failed me after about 30 minutes. I broke down and bought a new battery and everything went back to normal. I bought it at Costco, and it has a 42 month free replacement, with a 5 year prorated replacement, so we'll see how this does.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I bought a inexpensive battery load tester on ebay so I could test my batteries myself, instead of removing them and hauling them to be "Load Tested". Load testing a battery is the best way to find out what condition it is in.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I bought a inexpensive battery load tester on ebay so I could test my batteries myself, instead of removing them and hauling them to be "Load Tested". Load testing a battery is the best way to find out what condition it is in.
I didn't even have mine "load tested", I figured if it wasn't holding a charge then the battery was the issue anyway. I spent a little over a $100 for the new battery and it made everything function back to normal. Electricity is a pretty fickle thing, it doesn't take much to throw everything else out of whack.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Have you checked the electrolyte levels?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I didn't even have mine "load tested", I figured if it wasn't holding a charge then the battery was the issue anyway. I spent a little over a $100 for the new battery and it made everything function back to normal. Electricity is a pretty fickle thing, it doesn't take much to throw everything else out of whack.
Nothing like brand new, when it comes to batteries , You did the right thin Mike. Even a new battery can "Short Out" internally.......and not provide the proper voltage.....Good readings with a multi-meter, and when a load is induced ="0"
Old 05-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #7

The batteries are sealed so I cant check the electrodes but I do like the idea of a battery tester because if I go to the trouble of removing the batteries, I will replace them regardless of test results.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Nothing like brand new, when it comes to batteries , You did the right thin Mike. Even a new battery can "Short Out" internally.......and not provide the proper voltage.....Good readings with a multi-meter, and when a load is induced ="0"
I'm going to have to buy one of those multi meters to keep on hand, so I can test them myself. I think the house batteries are next to be replaced, as they seem ok but don't last as long as they used to when not on shore power. I have read a lot of posts where the original batteries did not last as long as they should due to them not being properly taken care of during the construction of the MH and sitting on a sales lot.

I guess the good thing is most place we go have full hookups with 50amp service, but we still like to boondock ocassionally.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Chahttp://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Battery-Load-Tester-100-Amp-Load-Type-6V-12V-Mechanics-6-12-Volt-Car-Truck-/400774129287?hash=item5d4fffe687:g:mvcAAOSweW5U7yJ g&item=400774129287&vxp=mtr View Post
I'm going to have to buy one of those multi meters to keep on hand, so I can test them myself. I think the house batteries are next to be replaced, as they seem ok but don't last as long as they used to when not on shore power. I have read a lot of posts where the original batteries did not last as long as they should due to them not being properly taken care of during the construction of the MH and sitting on a sales lot.

I guess the good thing is most place we go have full hookups with 50amp service, but we still like to boondock ocassionally.
This is the load tester I bought Mike:
New Battery Load Tester 100 Amp Load Type 6V 12V Mechanics 6 12 Volt Car Truck | eBay (Batteries have to un hooked to test them), and the multi-meter I carry
Craftsman Multimeter with NCV Tester Multi Meters Meters Electricians | eBay
Not the best on the market, but work well for my uses.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:52 PM   #10

Palehorse....Thanks for the info, those look good for what I would need...Thanks
Old 05-22-2016, 04:09 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Put new batteries in it---

This is a typical situation. All the 6 volt deep cycle batteries I've seen, have removable caps to add distilled water periodically. You must have 12 volt batteries powering the chassis?

Welcome to RV reality--- ugh

I have a friend that kept having leveling jack problems with his '37 ft gas rig. The insurance company sent out a mobile tech and he replaced the hydraulic pump. They, the owner and the tech, were sure it was NOT a battery problem as I suggested.
On his return trip from Gulfport, MS to Michigan. he got stuck with more jack problems. A new house battery solved his problem.
Good luck---
Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Chassiss batteries were dead after three weeks of storage ( disconnect engaged)
Took about 18 hours to charge them back to 100 %. Left them for 6 days ( disconnect engaged) and they depleted to 55 % 12.2 v.

Currently charging them again and it is also taking many hours. Normally they would go a week or two and still read 100 % on the charger.

The batteries are aprox 3 years old........my thoughts are either the batteries are toast or there is a phantom draw ( strong) from the transmission or ecm cables as they go straight to the terminal s bi passing the disconnect. Im leaning towards the idea that the batteries are simply toast.......

Do you battery pros agree?
ez enough to determine the problem. disconnect the cables from the batteries and then charge them one at a time with a known-to-be-good battery charger. at the end of the charging cycle disconnect and let the battery rest. then check the state of the cells using an hydrometer. that will tell the story.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #13

Ok I like that idea. I will take the cables off and see if one battery discharges more then the other. Cant check levels as the batteries are sealed but charging seperately is a great idea. I will post the results. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #14

Ok here are the results of isolating the batteries. One showed 100 % charge while the other showed 55% and less then 12 volts. So it seems I have one bad battery.

Tags
battery