Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

Battery levels

Hello everyone. I would like to ask how often do I need to check my house battery fluid levels. My unit is a new class C and I only have 1000 miles on it so far. And I two batteries. As am using the unit I run my generator to recharge the batteries. When I opened the battery storage I noticed that the positive and negative cables are covering The refill caps therefore I would need to remove the cables to take the caps off.
Cola ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #2

Mine stays plugged in at home & I check/add water about every 4/5 weeks. Mine has the bulb you pump by hand to fill the batteries from a distilled water bottle. Can't remember the name of the darn thing right now.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I would get a refill system like ProFill. That hooks all batteries to one tube and assures that each cell has the right level of distilled water. Very easy to use. Once a month I attach the hand pump to the tube with a line in a gallon jug of distilled water then pump til it won't pump anymore. No caps have to be removed. Always use ONLY distilled water in your batteries.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I check about once/month. A watering system as suggested is a great way to go. Even if access is not a problem. It just makes it sooooo easy.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I also use the profill system for the four house batteries. The batteries are on a sliding tray but even pulled out the back batteries were hard to fill before I added the profill. Every couple of months I fill the batteries.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #6

Water use is determined mostly by the charge the batteries are getting. Check every two weeks at first. You will get an idea how much water they use/need and can then gradually increase the service interval from there.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #7

Monthly, and refilling the old fashioned way allows, and sometimes mandates, inspection of the wiring, and connections.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #8

Okay so when I'm checking the fluids in my battery I will disconnect the positive and negative cable which is covering the caps is there anything else I would need to disconnect
Old 08-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Cola ny.....usually, you can loosen the cables and twist them to a position so they don't interfere and then tighten them back up. Many systems are different and will cause water loos depending on use. Dry camping and constant recharging may use more water. Some chargers can over charge and use more water. "gruelens" had the best advice.....check frequently until you get a feel for what is NORMAL for your RV.

The ProFill water filler is probably the best device on the market for RVing. They are pricey, but I would still buy one even if they were more. Nothing says you can't check your wires and connections when using the ProFill system.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #10

The Pro fill once connected to your batteries how do you get your water do you put the other end in a gallon of distilled water?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola ny View Post
The Pro fill once connected to your batteries how do you get your water do you put the other end in a gallon of distilled water?

Yes. The other end goes into a jug of distilled water. Pump the bulb until it is hard (won't compress anymore ) & your done.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Cola ny....The ProFill kit comes with two battery filling units. They don't give you the hose to fill them. It's a separate purchase from them and includes a quick connect hose and bulb. The bulb looks like the primer bulb on the fuel tank of old outboard engines.

When it's time to check your batteries, you connect the quick connect hose and bulb to the battery fill tube, place the end of the hose with bulb installed into a bottle of distilled water. Squeeze the bulb until it becomes hard and you can no longer squeeze it. That's it, your batteries are full.

Another benefit is that the caps keep the batteries from producing as much acid as they typically do.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Remove negative first and then the positive last.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #14

Okay thanks guys I'm guessing the pro fill works on 6 V and 12 V batteries

Tags
battery