Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Battery maintainers

I have a pair of 6-volt batteries that I am contemplating putting on a maintainer battery charger for 6 months...
better to do this or just charge and disconnect them?
thanks

2005 Dolphin
Gdlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
If they are in series I would put them on a “Battery Minder Plus” or whatever they are called today. Mine is very old. It is simply a smart low current charger that will not deplete the water in the batteries. I use it every year on the chassis battery in the winter.

I am past removing batteries for the winter. The house charger is smart also. So I just keep AC to the rig all winter.
Never had a battery problem so far.
I do add water during the summer months.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #3

Since it makes sense to disconnect them anyway, to stop phantom loads from draining them if the charger goes off, I would just leave them sit without a maintainer.

No need to remove them or maintain them for six months, just store them after charging them fully.

With 6 volt batteries, you can simply remove the jumper between them. Then there is no multiple cable ends laying around.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #4

But be careful many"cheap or not so cheap" maintainers will drain batts if they loose power or internally die. Some over charge.These may still have green light when unplugged or if charger is dead. Read many of the reviews.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have the option to connect a maintainer, this is best for long term storage. Leaving them sit disconnected with periodic (monthly top off) is 2nd best, sitting disconnected and idle 3rd best.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 10 watt solar panel that came on my trailer and it keeps my 2 6volts charged all winter. The sun is pretty reliable and so far it has never gone out. I am thinking of replacing it with a 100 watt panel to lessen the need for the generator.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a spare 6 volt battery and a spare 12 volt battery at my house that sit outside on a board covered up with plastic.

About every 6 months I check them and put a trickle charger on for a few minutes. They hold their charge pretty good.

So I suggest charging your batteries and then disconnect them.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #8

I find it simpler to use battery maintainers - no monitoring charge levels during storage, or recharging and equalizing before using my coach again. Not a big deal, it's just preference.

I use Battery Minders that test the state of charge every 12 hours and supply the appropriate current, plus they perform full time pulse desulfation to help keep the plates clean.

The maintainers are hard wired to the battery banks - one to the eight 6v house batteries and one to the two 12v chassis batteries, and the cords are run so that I have only a single extension cord to plug in to activate both at the storage lot.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #9

Make sure they are fully charged , then disconnect them. They will self discharge up to 5% per month just sitting. After 6 months, the batteries will only have been discharged 30%. Cold will not hurt a battery and actually slows the ageing process. With the batteries disconnected you don't have to worry about water levels.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Thanks, everyone for your thoughts on this...
Two questions for all:
1...for those that just disconnect, is it just the main negative or?
2...for those that use a maintainer..what brand do you use..
thanks again

2005 Dolphin
Old 09-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #11

Battery Tender brand 1.5amp best bang for buck. Won't drain your batts if it dies on you or looses power nor cook them with too high of voltage.
A lot of poor maintainers out there .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
thanks for feedback

2005 Dolphin
Old 09-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #13

A friend of a friend maintains township equipment that included auto start generators for sewage pumping stations. All batteries have "maintainers", but battery life was typically only a few years (these were full size flooded automotive batteries and there liquid level was checked once per month). After replacing too many batteries, he decided to connect the battery maintainer to a cheap mechanical lamp time that only allowed the maintainer to operate a few hours per day. Battery life more than doubled !
Old 09-22-2019, 09:13 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
A friend of a friend maintains township equipment that included auto start generators for sewage pumping stations. All batteries have "maintainers", but battery life was typically only a few years (these were full size flooded automotive batteries and there liquid level was checked once per month). After replacing too many batteries, he decided to connect the battery maintainer to a cheap mechanical lamp time that only allowed the maintainer to operate a few hours per day. Battery life more than doubled !
That is interesting...Was it just a few hours a day for the maintainer. Reason for asking is that I was under the "assumption" that in order for maintainers to work they never really had to add a charge...just maintain...

2005 Dolphin

Tags
battery