Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #1

Battery maintenence during off season

Should I invest in two battery tenders @ 40 bucks each, one for house, one for engine or can I just remove the ground cables?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #2

Remove the ground cables but if you can plug into power then once a month hook back up and let the on board charger charge the house batteries. Use the Battery Tender to maintain the chassis battery. Watch the water level but you probably won't need to add any. Won't be long before you can hit the road!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What type of batteries?
Climate where the RV is stored?
Power is readily available for charger?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnyd00a View Post
Should I invest in two battery tenders @ 40 bucks each, one for house, one for engine or can I just remove the ground cables?
If this is a Motorhome, (you don't give us a lot of information to work with here) I would think it has an Inverter/Converter of some description that charges the Chassis & House batteries when you are plugged in to shore power.

So since it sounds like you have a 120V power supply to run two battery tenders, why not just plug the coach into shore power and forget about the battery tenders?

You will need to dig out your handy Digital Voltmeter and check the battery voltage when plugged in to make sure it is keeping the battery voltage around 13.5 to 13.8 VDC. Do this at least every 6-8 weeks.
At the same time, check the water levels in each cell and add Distilled Water to bring the level up to the rings in each cell. (1/4" or so above the plates)
Also, keep an eye on the terminal connections and make sure you keep them clean so they make good contact.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #5

We don't have all the info, so let's assume you have power at a storage facility. My concern with plugging the coach power cord, is that they are expensive and someone may take it. A small dog bone 50 amp to 120v for my coach is also expensive. If you are able to move the charger around when needed I would get one charger, and two quick connect plugs and keep the connectors on the batteries and move the charge around with ease.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
We don't have all the info, so let's assume you have power at a storage facility. My concern with plugging the coach power cord, is that they are expensive and someone may take it. A small dog bone 50 amp to 120v for my coach is also expensive. If you are able to move the charger around when needed I would get one charger, and two quick connect plugs and keep the connectors on the batteries and move the charge around with ease.
You have 120V power on a 15A breaker.
So, you use a 100' (or long enough for your purpose) extension cord and a 50A to 15A adaptor. You leave your 50A cord and adapters inside your locked power bay and run the extension cord out to your 15A plugin. Much simpler than hooking up chargers etc etc. IMHO
Old 01-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
You have 120V power on a 15A breaker.

So, you use a 100' (or long enough for your purpose) extension cord and a 50A to 15A adaptor. You leave your 50A cord and adapters inside your locked power bay and run the extension cord out to your 15A plugin. Much simpler than hooking up chargers etc etc. IMHO

I said 50a to 120v dog bone because I thought it was more clear, but yes, it basically a 50a to 15 a adaptor. You got me thinking about the price. I had look at the prices when killing time at my local RV dealer waiting for them to finish my inspection. Wow they were high. Just googled one and found one on eBay for $39. Probably others cheaper, so yes thar would be a good choice. My cord connects on the outside of the storage bays, but I would be willing to gamble $39.

Tags
battery