Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Battery minder in battery compartment?

Will be buying some sort of battery maintainer to keep the chassis batteries topped up. Currently I use a battery charger placed in the compartment next to the battery compartment. I know that trickle start can be placed directly in the battery compartment and it connects the chassis batteries to the house batteries with no electric chord.

My question is.....is it safe to place a small battery minder which will be powered via an extension chord....directly in the battery compartment.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Assuming you have the coach batteries on a charger/inverter etc.
Forget the BatteryMinder 110 vac plug in to charge chassis batteries, when no 110 it will deplete your chassis batteries just bring contacted to them.

Amp L Start

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/15-Am...mp-l-start.htm

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Another option is the Trik-L-Start which supplies a trickle charge to the chassis battery when connected to the house batteries. Here is a link to another post about the same issue.
Trik-L-Start install on solenoid
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Will be buying some sort of battery maintainer to keep the chassis batteries topped up. Currently I use a battery charger placed in the compartment next to the battery compartment. I know that trickle start can be placed directly in the battery compartment and it connects the chassis batteries to the house batteries with no electric chord.

My question is.....is it safe to place a small battery minder which will be powered via an extension chord....directly in the battery compartment.
don't see why it wouldn't be safe but why would you when a trik-l-start will keep your chassis battery charged.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Phaeton has a 120vac outlet in the compartment with the chassis batteries. The outlet is not powered by the inverter - only generator and shore power. Into it is plugged a small trickle charger connected to the two chassis batteries. This is a stick setup from the factory.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #6

Both those items amp L and trickle start dont seem to be sold in stores and I dont buy online. Also I believe they require the use of the isolator solonoid which is a high failure item. So this leaves me with the option of using an electric trickle charger. Just not sure if running electricity into the battery compartment is a safe thing.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #7

Not sure I understand the logic here. If you have shore power to plug into, why do you need to spend money to add another battery charger when you already have a system that you paid for when you bought the coach?
I have my coach plugged in 24/7 unless we are traveling. No need to complicate things with another add-on.
Just don't forget to check the water levels in your batteries at least every 2-3 months. If you have wet cell batteries that is.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Not sure I understand the logic here. If you have shore power to plug into, why do you need to spend money to add another battery charger when you already have a system that you paid for when you bought the coach?
I have my coach plugged in 24/7 unless we are traveling. No need to complicate things with another add-on.
Just don't forget to check the water levels in your batteries at least every 2-3 months. If you have wet cell batteries that is.
The chassis batteries do not get charged from shore power. Our coach is sitting at an rv park for the summer and during this time I will be using the electric awning which draws power from the chassis batteries. So the awning plus parasitic draws will drain the batteries hence my desire for a battery maintainer. My question is in regards to the safety of placing the battery charger in the battery compartment. I suppose the end of the electric chord attachment to the ext chord could hang outside of the compartment.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorta like the questions, will sealed group 31 batteries vent gas. And Will said battery charger be an ignition source. Is the battery compartment vented as well ? When you can answer those concerns then maybe its not a safety factor.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
The chassis batteries do not get charged from shore power. Our coach is sitting at an rv park for the summer and during this time I will be using the electric awning which draws power from the chassis batteries. So the awning plus parasitic draws will drain the batteries hence my desire for a battery maintainer. My question is in regards to the safety of placing the battery charger in the battery compartment. I suppose the end of the electric chord attachment to the ext chord could hang outside of the compartment.
Are you certain both sets of batteries are not being charged on shore power? I know some older units do not but would be surprised your 08 does not. Not to dispute, but I've seen some add chargers because the system was not functioning and they were not even aware it was designed to charge both sets.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Sorta like the questions, will sealed group 31 batteries vent gas. And Will said battery charger be an ignition source. Is the battery compartment vented as well ? When you can answer those concerns then maybe its not a safety factor.
The compartment has a 2 inch diameter hole in the floor. Not sure if its a drain hole, vent or both.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Are you certain both sets of batteries are not being charged on shore power? I know some older units do not but would be surprised your 08 does not. Not to dispute, but I've seen some add chargers because the system was not functioning and they were not even aware it was designed to charge both sets.
Yes im positive that only the house batteries get charged by design. This coach was not equipped with the bird. Vacationer was an entry level diesel in 08.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes im positive that only the house batteries get charged by design. This coach was not equipped with the bird. Vacationer was an entry level diesel in 08.
My bad, There are many choices for battery minders on the market. Mount it anywhere convenient to connect to the chassis batteries as long as it's high and dry and not exposed to moisture. I have a 3A unit from Costco I use on my Tbird while its parked in the garage for long periods. If you buy one, make sure it has the three modes, bulk, absorption and float.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:05 PM   #14

High and dry it will be

Thanks

Tags
battery