Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Battery post anti corrosion washers

Has anyone had any experience with these type of washer. They are a "chemically treated" felt washer placed under the battery terminal to prevent corrosion. The fella at West Marine said he uses them on every battery he has and they work great. I have recently replaced 4 house batteries and trying to keep corrosion at bay. Would like to hear of any other opinions.. Thanks

srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #2

My opinion is they don't hurt but I wouldn't put them on and not pay close attention to your batteries. I like the battery spray much better because you coat everything easily. The key to long battery life is keep clean, keep full of water and keep charged. You can buy foaming battery cleaner that does work well but if your batteries are easily accessed then baking soda mixed with water works just as well and much cheaper, rinse with clean water and let dry, then spray battery, terminals and hold downs.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #3

Saw them in the 60s and 70s. They would not fit on my house battery terminals.

Nothing beats good basic maintenance.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #4

Another Option: Water Miser Battery Vent Caps

This winter I spent considerable time and money taking apart my battery compartment, sanding, painting, coating tray with "Rhino" type bed liner, cleaning the batteries & cables, etc. (I'm the 2nd owner).

I installed these caps on my six (6) six-volt batteries and I've yet to get a whif or drop of battery acid on top of the batteries. I've also had the coach plugged in to 110 volts and the inverter/charger working the whole time.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRAY.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	59884

Name:   photo16.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  47.8 KB
Old 04-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the spray stuff. Seems to work pretty well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We use the spray AND the chemical washers. 2 1/2 years and not the slightest bit of acid...
"Washers" were $1 per set at Harbor Freight.
Might also suggest a ProFill system for filling the batteries with water..
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use petroleum jelly. It creates an airtight seal over the Battery connector and terminal. No corrosion.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #8

Well, I had to finally come in here.

The total solution to the battery terminal problems is solved with T-9 Boshield.

It is a product created by Bowing to protect their airplane electrical circuits from salt water damage.

I had a yacht with a dingy. The dingy had an electric start outboard motor. An exposed 12V battery in the stern of the dingy was used to start the engine. It was open, just sitting in the stern of the dingy and subject to salt spray all the time.

Spraying the battery terminals with T-9 prevented any corrosion at all for many years. I did re-spray the terminals once each year. The MH batteries are in a much friendlier environment and T-9 will remove all problems. I have re-sprayed my MH terminals twice in four years, and they are as bright as when new.

T-9 is also great for anything else in your RV that needs protection from the elements -- electric steps, tow bars, cable connections between RV and toad, and on and on.

You can buy it on line or at West Marine.

Good Luck!
Wil
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #9

Yes they work.

But there are a few things to do here.

First they are at the point where the post exits the battery so if thete is seapage there they help.

Good batteries less seapage but they are cheap so why not...we use them if we have them...battery store includes them and yard sale finds...

Next is to simply block the acid.

In the past we would heavy coat the terminals with the buck a can rattle can paint.

It gets into every open space and seals it and the acid does not touch it.

Only works on new stuff...

Now we use electrical grease.

First make sure a good fit.

Do not use brush type cleaner for interface...do use the reaming type cleaner as it makes mating parts same shape.

Open terminal wide first.

Clean the battery and wire and veirify wire is good as sometimes acid gets in the wire.

Now place ring on battery and slather the electrical grease on terminal and connector as well as rubbing it into the wire.

Do this for every wire at the battery.

Attach to battery and tighten correctly then coat bolts...no gobs just coat them.

The grease keeps the acid present in the vapor from getting to the wires and the matching shape of the interface increasrs surface area of contact and makes it difficult for anything to get in there and the grease blocks that path.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
After a winter spent plugged into 110, our battery compartment was a mess. Our coach is not having the Rhino liner installed in the battery compartment and the water miser caps placed on the batteries. We're hoping for much less corrosion and a lot cleaner compartment!
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
NOW having the Rhino installed....darn autocorrect!
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #12

If you have that much acid problems and you are consuming water you are over charging a bit.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I will share my experience. I bought 4 brand new batteries last June. After installing I started to hear about mineral oil for the cells. You remove 3 oz of water from each cell, replace with 3 oz mineral oil. I've been checking my batteries every other month. I just checked them today again. I have not had to add one drop of water. Today for the first time I saw a small yellow corrosive spec on the post that has most of the positive connections. I cleaned it off. The only thing hat gets on my batteries is dust.
I know I was risking $550 of new batteries, but I started researching it and I found nothing detrimental, only positive comments.
It's amazing, 9 months not a drop, I was just talking to a fellow RVer, he says he adds 1/2 gallon every three months.
I told him about mineral oil, and he looked at me like I was on Drugs.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
NOW having the Rhino installed....darn autocorrect!
If you don't get 100% of the corrosion removed it will continue to corrode under the Rhino Coating, and it might not show-up/surface for months. That corrosion is like rust...it never sleeps
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery