Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #1

Although I've had my motorhome (2006 Itasca Sunova) for almost three years, this past weekend was the first time I tried "dry camping". To my dismay, the house batteries do not appear hold a charge. The first day, after driving 4 hours, the battery indicator light showed a bright green indicating a full charge. The next morning, the indicator still showed a bright green light, but when I plugged in the new 12v coffee pot, the lights dimmed, and the battery indicator light fell to the last red light. I then had to start the generator (by using the MOM switch to allow the chassis battery to start the generator), running it for around 45 minutes to charge the batteries, and make my coffee. Once the battery indicator light was at top green, I shut down the generator, and the battery remained in the green until the next morning when the same thing happened, and again the following morning. I checked the batteries (which appear to be smaller travel trailer batteries and not motorhome batteries), and the electrolyte level seemed OK.

And now for the rest of the story I was camping with a friend who has a 2006 Winnebago Sightseer (purchased at the same time with the same floorplan and options as my Sunova), and the same thing happened to him.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation and offer any solutions ? Since the same thing happened to the both of us, I find it hard to believe both sets of batteries went bad at the same time. Surely, I should be able to brew a pot of coffee without killing the batteries !!

Thanks for your advice.

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #2

Although I've had my motorhome (2006 Itasca Sunova) for almost three years, this past weekend was the first time I tried "dry camping". To my dismay, the house batteries do not appear hold a charge. The first day, after driving 4 hours, the battery indicator light showed a bright green indicating a full charge. The next morning, the indicator still showed a bright green light, but when I plugged in the new 12v coffee pot, the lights dimmed, and the battery indicator light fell to the last red light. I then had to start the generator (by using the MOM switch to allow the chassis battery to start the generator), running it for around 45 minutes to charge the batteries, and make my coffee. Once the battery indicator light was at top green, I shut down the generator, and the battery remained in the green until the next morning when the same thing happened, and again the following morning. I checked the batteries (which appear to be smaller travel trailer batteries and not motorhome batteries), and the electrolyte level seemed OK.

And now for the rest of the story I was camping with a friend who has a 2006 Winnebago Sightseer (purchased at the same time with the same floorplan and options as my Sunova), and the same thing happened to him.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation and offer any solutions ? Since the same thing happened to the both of us, I find it hard to believe both sets of batteries went bad at the same time. Surely, I should be able to brew a pot of coffee without killing the batteries !!

Thanks for your advice.

John

Old 07-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
One question.. Did your propane furnace run during the night? They tend to draw a lot of power. It has been awhile...but it seems we had similar results (but not quite as drastic...I don't think) in our Bounders. It became habit o start the gennie in the AM and leave it on for 2 hours to charge batteries. We made our coffee and whatever else we might need to use the AC current for during that 2 hour time period.

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 04 34F bounder has two furnaces and we have had to run BOTH of the furnaces all night long in very cold weather up north in the winter. We have never had a problem with our batteries suppling the necessary power. You should have some one check and see what is causing yours.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Yes, it's unlikely that they all went bad at the same time. However, if you have just one battery with a bad cell, it not only will lose voltage more quickly, but it will "steal" voltage from the other battery, so they tend to equalize, and both will lose their charges more quickly and charge up less completely. I have had exactly the same problem. A common cause of failure is that the batteries leak down due to corrosion on and around the posts and even between the posts and connectors. Also, your cable ends could be corroded where they are squeezed into the connectors. You can use baking soda and water paste to clean them up. And, of course, if you are running any 110 stuff with an inverter, or running 12v furnace fans a lot that will bring them down more quickly. I concur that you should get them checked, but assuming both batts have good cells and fluid levels are okay, the next thing I would do is pull any cable ends that are not squeaky clean, and clean with a wire brush or sandpaper, put 'em back, charge 'em up and see where you're at.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote