Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Battery question

A recent motorhome magazine article noted that a fully charged battery (100%) should read 12.7 to 12.8. I checked the coach batteries (2) and got a reading of 12.63. I normally keep it plugged into shore power but it had not been for a few days so this seems OK. The engine battery was 12.76 which I normally keep on a charger but had also not been hooked up for a few days. I then checked the toad's battery which was 12.35. I drove it for a day and got around a 12.4 reading. According to the article this would indicate that the battery is only charging between 50%-75%. The battery is only 2 years old and I always check the water level and add if needed, which it seldom does. I've never had problems starting the car.

Do I have a problem? When we tow I leave the accessory to the on position to unlock the steering wheel. I don't know if the battery is charging while I am towing.

2008 Allegro Open Road, Ford

RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Toad battery would only charge if it had an auxiliary source of power to it.

1999 National Dolphin
1995 Range Rover County SWB.
Sailor, Dickens, Zooki, Koko.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a temperature sensor on the battery? A battery needs a higher charge if its colder out and a lower one if its hotter out. A lot of the charging systems now come with a temperature sensor to put on the battery so that you get the charge you need for the temp it is and the battery you have.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Not sure what the article said but here is what most use a reference standard for battery condition (approx 75 deg F average):

This is with engine OFF and after the surface charge has been bleed off (For toad - Lights on for 1 minute).

If the converter, inverter/charger, solar, or engine is running you will be reading the output of the charging device, not the condition of the battery. That table shows a battery at rest (no loads connected, no charge device ON)

A toad voltage of 12.4 (with key ON) after several hours of being pulled behind the coach would be normal if there is no charging connection to the toad from your coach.

Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
No, you do not have a problem with the coach batteries. A fully charged flooded cell battery = 12.6 VDC. A fully charged AGM type battery is 12.8 VDC.

I doubt the toad battery is charging. To check, take a toad VDC battery reading before connecting to the coach. Start the coach with the toad connected. Wait a couple of minutes and take a VDC reading on the battery. If it is the same as the first reading the battery is not being charged. If the reading is higher than the first reading, the battery is being charged.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As pointed out, I doubt you have a problem with any of your batteries... but, are you taking the readings directly from the battery post or through the battery cable clamps? Corrosion on those mating surfaces can cause voltage drop.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Thanks to all. Think I will be installing the 'Toad-Charge'. Doesn't look like a big job.
Rick, readings are taken from the posts.

Thanks again.

RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote