Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #1

CAn someone tell me the best type of battery to buy for my coach. I can read all the reports in the future because I need batteries tomarrow. Leaving on a trip. The present batteries are lead plate wet type. Bought the coach used and don't know their history but they go flat quickly. please help. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #2

CAn someone tell me the best type of battery to buy for my coach. I can read all the reports in the future because I need batteries tomarrow. Leaving on a trip. The present batteries are lead plate wet type. Bought the coach used and don't know their history but they go flat quickly. please help. Thanks

Old 11-04-2007, 03:25 AM   #3

I am changing over to Energizer, available at Sam's Clubs at very good prices.

The type and size depend on the room you have.

Hope this info helps.

--Aime---
Old 11-04-2007, 03:46 AM   #4

Trapshooter,
You didn't say if you currently have 6-volt or 12-volt batteries. I assume you are speaking of the coach batteries. They are probably 6-volt. (6-volt has three ports for water; 12-V has six ports.)
I had two 6-V golf cart batteries purchased at Sams Club for less than $50 each. They worked for two years and were still good when I sold the coach. I think Costco also carries them. Hope this helps.
I had time to check this out before I purchased mine and a number of people on this forum suggested them.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:57 AM   #5

You asked for the best type batteries and I think it is Lifeline AGM batteries, but they are very expensive. The best bang for the buck is 6-volt batteries from Sam's Club or Costco.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The gold standard for 6v golf cart batteries is the Trojan T105 that usually sells for around $100-$125. The other brands from Sams or Costco are a good value at half or less the price, even if they don't last the 7+ years you can expect from the Trojan.

If you want a maintenance free battery, go with a Lifeline or Trojan AGM, but expect to pay over $200 each.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Trojan T105 6 volt battery, the premier coach battery IMHO, price has skyrocketed in recent weeks - now more than $150 in most places. If buying 6 volt batteries, I would go to a golf car store and get golf cart batteries.
igor2brvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Nearly six years ago when we bought our coach from Lazy Days I had them install new batteries. They installed Interstate U2200 six volt battteries (4 of them) I have tried to take care of them and they have performed very well. If you can't get the Trojan T105 I would go with the Interstate U2200's.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with RV Wizard. The last two motorhomes I had came with Interstate U2200's. Never had a problem with them. Our existing coach came with two Trojan T105's and I added two more to give me longer boondocking time. When it comes time to replace them I'll probably switch back to U2200's or maybe the Sam's batteries. $100+ is too much for a battery in my view.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I had the Interstate U2200s on my 2004 Bus until I switched to Lifeline AGMs. The Interstates were good and I eventually moved them to some aerial equipment I have.

By aware that Interstat makes 3 series of 65 volt golf cart batteries. The U2200 is your basic 220 A-H battery and is the standard of the industry. But, they also make a U2300 and U2400, which give you more amps. The U2300 and U2200 are the same size. The U2400 (240 A-H) is slighly taller but it's all in the battery posts, which have little studs on top for wing nut terminals as well as the standard battery posts. The U2400s will give you a bit more runtime.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #11

Just switched to Exide "Orbital" $160 to $170 but... 2 year free replacement and 7 year warrantee. Small but "powerfull. Got the 78 Deep cycles.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #12

I just bought 4ea. U2200 Interstates at Camping World for $87ea. BY SOON! As mentioned the prices are going WAY up! CW was $60 cheaper than other places I called. Trojans have doubled in recent months.

(edit: spelling )

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #13

how long your batteries will last has more to do with your use and maintenance than with the brand.

You need enough battery so that you don't run them down more than 50% as a normal thing.

You need to run them down at least 10% as a normal thing.

You need to recharge your batteries promptly and fully. Charge at about 20 amps for every 100 AH rating with a 3 stage charger and for 3 or 4 hours or more at least. (this is one area where solar often suffers)

You need to provide an equalization and desulfation maintenance charge any time your batteries aren't used for more than a couple of weeks.

Batteries are killed by taking them down too far too often, leaving them sit around not fully charged, overcharging that boils them dry, and allowing the lead sulfate crystals to grow and solidify on the plates.

As for the purported 'true deep cycle' - even those suffer if drawn down more than 50% -- have you stopped to think about just how many deep draw (down to near 50%) cycles you do in actual use? Add 'em up for a typical 7 year life span. Compare that to the life cycle ratings. Think about the cost differences and effectiveness.