Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #1

Battery replacement.

We bought our 1994 Rexhall Aerbus last year. It has been a learning experience to say the least. Anyway, we have four 6v batteries and it looks like they need to be replaced. We have 2 solar panels that are charging them, and at night, it seems like there is very little power. On the wall above the stove is a command center. It usually only goes up to 3/4 no matter how long we are in the sun. So my question is. Can I replace these batteries with 12v marine/deep cycle? It seems like they are connected so that they make 12v. Also I am wondering if the solar is the only system charging these batteries. Does the alternator, or the generator do anything for the house batteries? Thanks for earlier great advice.
rexasarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

You should start by checking all connections, including ground. Remove and clean each connection, one at a time. Check that the electrolyte levels are all above the plates visible in under each cap. You should also take voltage readings of each individual battery as you disconnect and clean the connections. A good 6v battery should read about 6.25-6.37v. If no water needed to be added, you can at the same time use a hydrometer to do a specific gravity test.

You mentioned you have 2 solar panels, but how many watts are they? In addition to solar charging, you should have a converter/charger that works on 120v power, either from the shore cord or the generator. Test by taking voltage readings at the batteries when shore cord is plugged in. A converter/charger should have an output of at least 13.4v when charging the batteries. Disconnect solar charging when testing the converter/charger. If your RV has a battery isolator that connects the house and chassis battery systems when a charging voltage is detected, the alternator of the engine will also then charge all batteries when the engine is running. Verify if this is happening by taking voltage readings when the engine is running.

A reading of 3/4 is sort of meaningless unless you know what voltage 1 equals. Use a voltmeter that is calibrated in volts. 4 six volt batteries will have much more storage capacity than two 12v batteries.

House batteries should be deep cycle batteries that give out relatively small amperage over a longer time period. Starting batteries are good for chassis batteries since they are designed to give the necessary short-term high amperage to start the engine.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Bob gave you good advice. Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #4

Yes, I have lots of questions,and direction. Fortunately,the previous owner took incredibly good care of this coach. I have a huge file folder full of documentation. Thanks Bob, I will write down my findings and check back soon...I do want to say that the batteries are 3+ years old, and so far we have had 1 night with no power....thx again.
rexasarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #5

What brand of batteries do you have? Are you sure how they are wired? A picture tells a thousands words.

Mine are in series and parallel that is whey I ask.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sound to me without more input that you are using more power than your putting back into the batteries. Two to four hours a day Gen time is needed even with some solar.

LEN

Tags
ace, battery, replace, replacement