Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know this has been discussed numerous times but I can't seem to find what I need. I am getting ready to replace the two 12V house batteries. I thought I would go with GEL or AGM but the dealer says I should stick with lead acid. Could someone point me in the right direction?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know this has been discussed numerous times but I can't seem to find what I need. I am getting ready to replace the two 12V house batteries. I thought I would go with GEL or AGM but the dealer says I should stick with lead acid. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Old 12-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Lead-acid is cheaper but a good AGM or gel should outlast it by a wide margin. Especially if you are not the sort to do regular maintenance in your batteries.

However, if the lead acid battery happens to be a golf cart type 6v, then it will probably last as long as the AGM, assuming you mind its occasional need for water.

Here are three excellent articles on the types of batteries commonly used in RVs:
Battery Tutorial

Battery Type Comparison

Battery FAQs
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the batteries cleaned and serviced just before I stored the MH. I went to start it after 4 weeks and all of the batteries were dead. When I went to jump start it, the white corrosion was back worse than before. It isn't plugged in to shore power so I don't know why they would be any over charging. I have a small solar panel and a Trik-L-Start. We have had lots of sunshine here.

I have a Parallax 7455 Converter if that makes any difference in what batteries I choose.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:49 AM   #5

wthomas1,
Consider enlarging your coach batteries. Likely your coach came with Interstate group 24 deep cycle batteries... -See if you can get Group 29 (which is 2 sizes bigger). I just put group 29 Interstates into my coach a month ago; they're about $100 each. (Measure your access & battery tray though...).
Also consider upgrading your house converter/charger. The stock Parallax is a piece of c**p and boils the batteries eventually. Look for a "smart charger" like Progressive Dynamics or Intellipower, etc. Intellipower 9260C. The 60 amp unit is about $200. Installation is simple and about 1/2 hour. You'll be far ahead in the long run with a smart charger and it will make your batteries last 7 or 8 years instead of 4 - 5 years.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:14 AM   #6

Definitely not gel cells. Their chemistry isn't compatible with automotive or RV charging systems (unless you modify them, of course). AGMs would be fully-sealed and would be maintenance-free, but are they worth the cost? Wet cell batteries are fine so long as they are REAL deep-cycle batteries.

I was never happy with my two-12V-in-parallel group 24 battery set-up (low capacity, constant outgassing and electrolyte boil-over) so as an experiment I tried a gel cell battery. It didn't last very long. I now have what I should have done in the first place: two 6V golf car batteries in series. Works like a champ. Two 12V AGMs in parallel would have been OK also, but why spend the extra money?
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:48 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wayne,
I got rid of my flooded coach batteries and installed AGM type batteries. This was a really good decision. I would make the same decision again. No maintenance, no outgasing, no crud in the battery tray, etc. I clean the tops once a year and that is it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #8

I agree with GaryKD, however if you do not want to spend the money for AGM,s then consider going to two 6 volt golf cart batteries such as Interstate U2200,s.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a LifeLine dealer about 30 miles from me. I am going to buy the AGM's from them.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was quoted $248 for the Lifeline group 24 AGM and $278 for group 27. Do these prices sound about right? Will my Parallax 7455 Converter work OK or do I have to replace it also?

Thanx for all of the help. You can always count on the folks on iRV2!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wthomas1:
I know this has been discussed numerous times but I can't seem to find what I need. I am getting ready to replace the two 12V house batteries. I thought I would go with GEL or AGM but the dealer says I should stick with lead acid. Could someone point me in the right direction? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Here is my two cents: two 6-volt in series solved my gas detector beeping problem, my house battery charging problem, my battery acid problem, and my concern regarding "what to do, and why do they cost so much."
I would probably go to AGM (not gel cells) for the engine starting battery, but for house batteries for dry camping, two 6's are so much simpler and cheaper, and they work so much better. (IMHO)
Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #12

Dump the Parallax Converter and replace with a Prog. Dyn. PD9260. You will save your batteries and $$$.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #13

I to will cast another vote for a Prog. Dyn. 9260 with remote pendant. You can't go wrong with that setup.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
It's my opinion that the AGM (absorbed glass mat) is best for RV applications. Besides the Lifeline, you could check out Sears Platinum AGM, Optima Blue Top (maybe available at Sams Club), and Costco Kirkland (can't remember brand).

They're all 200.00 plus dollars. If I had a Lifeline dealer nearby, I'd give them a serious look.

Gel cells seem to be more fussy about charge rate where an AGM can handle a fast charge. Wet cells equal more maintenance.

DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote