Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I installed a Xantrex Echo-Charge some months ago and ever since we get a buildup of white sulfuric powder on battery tray components but not the batteries themselves. It only shows up where there is unpainted metal including a paint chip or two. So far I've cleaned it up with baking soda and water.

The biggest offender has been the threaded mounting stud at the front of the chassis batteries. I hadn't checked it in a month or so and this time there was so much powder it looked like some alien fungus.

The batteries are clean, no sign of boiling over or other leaks or any trace of corrosion.

There was no problem before the Echo-Charge was installed. It functions to spec every way I can measure. It's almost as if the battery tray has become charged somehow. I double checked all the ground wires and tray isolation and all seems okay. I could not measure any voltage between the trays and earth ground.

Anyone have any ideas?

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #2

I installed a Xantrex Echo-Charge some months ago and ever since we get a buildup of white sulfuric powder on battery tray components but not the batteries themselves. It only shows up where there is unpainted metal including a paint chip or two. So far I've cleaned it up with baking soda and water.

The biggest offender has been the threaded mounting stud at the front of the chassis batteries. I hadn't checked it in a month or so and this time there was so much powder it looked like some alien fungus.

The batteries are clean, no sign of boiling over or other leaks or any trace of corrosion.

There was no problem before the Echo-Charge was installed. It functions to spec every way I can measure. It's almost as if the battery tray has become charged somehow. I double checked all the ground wires and tray isolation and all seems okay. I could not measure any voltage between the trays and earth ground.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-17-2006, 04:49 PM   #3

I would think the corrosion is from battery acid,and since it only appears where there is no paint,remove the batteries clean the tray and repaint it.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:09 PM   #4

Jon, What is the primary charging device from which this new "charger" is receiving its power? Are the batteries needing to be refilled more often?

The description of the Echo-Charge includes " the echo~charge will follow the charge modes of the source".

Perhaps the source charger is pushing the 14.+ voltage range or is even running an equalization cycle. This could account for more 'boiling off' of extra acidic vapors.

My signature used to include a link to my personal web-site - - - however:
DavidMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:50 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DavidMc:
What is the primary charging device from which this new "charger" is receiving its power?

Are the batteries needing to be refilled more often?

The description of the Echo-Charge includes " the echo~charge will follow the charge modes of the source".

Perhaps the source charger is pushing the 14.+ voltage range or is even running an equalization cycle. This could account for more 'boiling off' of extra acidic vapors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The source is the house batteries and the target is the coach batteries so it could be vaport from the chassis batteries. The house batteries wil typically charge around 14v. I've seen the house current go past 14v when in conditioning mode on 50 amp shore or gen power.

If it's working properly then according to the literature the Echo-Charge shouldn't deliver more than 13.5 volts to the target. I will verify actual operation though.

The house batteries need only a little water every couple of months. I don't see any way to open/inspect the Freightliner Alliance batteries.