Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #1

Battery Winterizing

If you had the option which would you do:
A: pull both the engine and house batteries and place them on battery tenders all winter in the garage
B: leave the entire RV plugged into shore power for the winter.

I don't want to have 2 dead batteries come spring and I'm not sure which route is better.
sfergie631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If removing the batteries isn't a big chore, storing them on a battery tender would probably be best. If you do that, make sure you label each cable and take photos so you get it hooked up correctly in a few months.

If you leave the RV plugged in, you could perhaps install a timer on the shore cord outlet so the charger would only be on a few hours a day, or less to maintain their charge. Leaving it plugged in full time might over charge the batteries unless you are sure your converter/charger will maintain them at a proper charging level. You could also only plug in one day a week, but you might forget that.

Another strategy would be to disconnect one terminal on each battery to isolate from the RV, then put the battery tender in with the batteries plugged in to the RV's shore power. Again, you could put the Battery Tender on a timer so you limit it's charging time. Batteries not being used don't need 24/7 charging, just every so often to replace the natural discharge that happens over time.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:27 PM   #3

We leave our MH plugged into shore power all winter long. I do check the batteries every 30 days just to ensure that they stay full of fluid. One never knows if/when the MH might be needed for an emergency shelter.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #4

Fully charged batteries will not freeze and fully charged batteries will last 8-10 years as long as you keep the water level maintained.
Short answer, if you have shore power, leave it plugged in. Do not turn off the power disconnects.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If removing the batteries isn't a big chore, storing them on a battery tender would probably be best. If you do that, make sure you label each cable and take photos so you get it hooked up correctly in a few months.

If you leave the RV plugged in, you could perhaps install a timer on the shore cord outlet so the charger would only be on a few hours a day, or less to maintain their charge. Leaving it plugged in full time might over charge the batteries unless you are sure your converter/charger will maintain them at a proper charging level. You could also only plug in one day a week, but you might forget that.

Another strategy would be to disconnect one terminal on each battery to isolate from the RV, then put the battery tender in with the batteries plugged in to the RV's shore power. Again, you could put the Battery Tender on a timer so you limit it's charging time. Batteries not being used don't need 24/7 charging, just every so often to replace the natural discharge that happens over time.
Respectfully, I disagree. Today's Inverters will maintain the batteries to optimum voltage and leaving them plugged in 24/7 will extend their life cycle to the maximum as opposed to letting them discharge. Each time the batteries are allowed to run down their lifespan is shortened.
My coach is always plugged in or traveling. Inverter maintains 13.7 VDC as required.
If you don't have the luxury of shore power lends itself to the procedure you have stated but being plugged in 24/7 is the best.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Respectfully, I disagree. Today's Inverters will maintain the batteries to optimum voltage and leaving them plugged in 24/7 will extend their life cycle to the maximum as opposed to letting them discharge. Each time the batteries are allowed to run down their lifespan is shortened.
My coach is always plugged in or traveling. Inverter maintains 13.7 VDC as required.
If you don't have the luxury of shore power lends itself to the procedure you have stated but being plugged in 24/7 is the best.
Different opinions are what make the forum interesting. I have no idea of the quality or charging capabilities of the OP's converter(inverter)/charger. If it can keep the batteries charged without over charging or boiling them, I agree, leave it plugged in and outside. I also agree, charged batteries don't freeze, here in Ohio we have nights of -15º and batteries still function.

I keep my RV plugged in and I just serviced the batteries today. No water needed, I removed and cleaned each cable end. My converter/charger is doing a competent job of keeping the batteries charged without over charging. As a teen working in a boat yard, one of my duties was to collect all batteries from the boats stored on land and hook them up to a charger in the service shop over winter. They were periodically checked and water added since it was before the days of sophisticated battery chargers. Some we experimented with putting the charger on a timer to reduce the over charging. It worked and made the labor of checking and servicing over 150 batteries much simpler.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Different opinions are what make the forum interesting. I have no idea of the quality or charging capabilities of the OP's converter(inverter)/charger. If it can keep the batteries charged without over charging or boiling them, I agree, leave it plugged in and outside. I also agree, charged batteries don't freeze, here in Ohio we have nights of -15º and batteries still function.

I keep my RV plugged in and I just serviced the batteries today. No water needed, I removed and cleaned each cable end. My converter/charger is doing a competent job of keeping the batteries charged without over charging. As a teen working in a boat yard, one of my duties was to collect all batteries from the boats stored on land and hook them up to a charger in the service shop over winter. They were periodically checked and water added since it was before the days of sophisticated battery chargers. Some we experimented with putting the charger on a timer to reduce the over charging. It worked and made the labor of checking and servicing over 150 batteries much simpler.

Your right about differing opinions but sometimes there are so many the OP has difficulty sorting out opinions from fact. I based my post on the fact that the Op has a new (or close to new) rig that Should Have a State of the Art inverter/converter.
However, I know where you're coming from as I too can recall as a young fellow in a garage I worked as an apprentice, being the one to look after all the New Batteries making sure they did not loose charge or overcharge, which would render them junk. Times change and so do Chargers.

Tags
battery, winter