Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #1

Battery's Again

Hope everyone's geting through this tough winter ok. Yesterday it was 68 here in Tn, so I decided to crank the Onan an much to my suprise, No Power. Iv'e had it pluged in to shore power all winter. all battery's were do
wn.
I have a 99 37' kountry star v-10,with a power source 75 charger & transfer switch.
I understand there is a circuit breaker that may be a problem?I have looked an can not find anything that looks like a breaker .
Does anyone have any ideas of my problem? If you do think it may be a breaker, where is it an what does it look like?
Keep in mind guy's I am severely electricly CHALLENGED.

Thanks Guys
Charlie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #2

There is a main breaker for gen. which should be on the side of gen. looks like 110 breaker as in your panel but toggles are much thinner. Mine will flip once in a while which leaves you with no power to batteries. Hope that helps!!

Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Charlie,
The OP mentions the batteries were down. For me, this says to check the power supply first. Does the shore outlet powering the coach have power? Next would be the charger/converter. There is a 120 VAC breaker panel in your coach. One of the breakers should be for the charger/converter. Try placing this breaker in the off position and then in the on position. If neither of these gets the charger/ converter going, it is time to get out the meter. Because the OP mentioned you are challenged in electric diagnostics, I'll stop here for now. Post here if you would like to continue with what to measure with your meter.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #4

Thanks Mike
Those breakers are OK. I have had a trickel charger on the house battery's for about 24 hrs now an they are slow to come back. I just don't know why they didn't stay up the last 3 months.Don't know if i mentioned it, but chassis batery is flat also.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #5

Gary,The only breaker box I can find Is on the side of the bed,It has one main breaker an three others that are for appliances, air,microwave,washer& dryer, etc. and yes ,the convertor had power from home all the time,Its on a 20 amp breaker but that was the only draw.
There is a black box with the transfer switch that I haven't been able to get open,I don't know if might have a breaker in it.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have to ask
with the shore power plugged in, do your interior 12 volt lights work?
when my converter/charger went bad it was days before we knew it as it took a few to run down the batteries

if you get no 12 volt lighting then the converter charger may be toast.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #7

I just checked and they do work.
Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Charlie,

My assumption is the batteries have the correct amount of distilled water in them.

The next step is to ensure the converter/charger is operating. You'll need a meter to do this. You'll need to take a reading on the input side (120 VAC). If power is there, your transfer switch is working as advertised. Next, you'll need to take a reading on the output of the charger side of the converter/charger (>13.5 VDC). Next is to take a reading across the house battery terminals with just the converter/charger (no trickle charger). The reading should be the same as the output of the charger/converter (>13.5 VDC). If there is 13.5 VDC across the connections to the batteries from the charger/converter, the batteries may be shot.

To test the batteries:
1. Disconnect the batteries from the coach.
2. Fully charge the batteries.
3. Let the batteries sit for a couple of hours.
4. Take a VDC reading across the terminals that the coach cables connect to.
5. The reading should be 12.6 VDC or more.
6. If that is true, let the batteries sit for up to one week.
7. Take the same reading as in #4.
8. The reading should be the same as in #5.
9. If the batteries are losing VDC over a week of just sitting, they may be bad.
10. Take the batteries to your local auto parts store and have them test the batteries under load. That will tell you the condition of the batteries.

One big caveat. Cold weather plays games with batteries. The above mentioned process is good when the batteries are around 60 degrees F or above. For me, I do nothing with batteries when it is cold. I wait until consistent warm weather returns. At that time, my battery problems usually disappear.

I have not mentioned the chassis batteries. I do not know how your coach is wired. I do not know if you have a B.I.R.D. device or a solar charger for the chassis batteries. Unless you take the batteries to the local auto parts store, maybe we can focus on the coach batteries first.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #9

Gary,boy I wish I had that much smarts.I will start this prosess as soon as the weather breaks.It' chilly an just starting to rain now.
I have taken the shore power off now,leaveing the trickel charger on. They must be takeing a charge because I started the onan, an boy did it spin up. the chassis batery is still flat no inst. lights or anything,even the boost didn't do anything. I'lltake the trickel charger off the house battery's tonight an put it on the chassis tomorrow.
Ijust bought this motorhome in aug.,so I've got of learning to do. I bought the battery's in aug also, they are deep cycle an I keep the water toped off with distiiled water. The engine battery was the one in it when I bought it
Again Thanks A Lot
{I'll Try to post when I know more}
Old 03-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #10

Your 12 v lights might be working now because you have partially charged the batteries, or have the chtrickle charger on them. The true test would have been whether they worked before you put the charger on the batteries. The charger section of my converter went out recently but some inside stuff worked because the other part of the converter still made 12 v available. Only the items connected in with the charging circuit failed to work. A new converter, some modifications to support the new converter, and I was back in business.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like some of you folks have been through some of these problems before. Maybe you can help me. I've had my coach in storage for almost two months now. I thought the batteries were fully charged as we had just returned from a two week trip. I disconnected shore power, turned off the battery disconnect, and the Xantrex. Yesterday, I went in to check on things and the low voltage light was on the gas (propane) detector and it was beeping every 45 seconds. So, I decided to turn on the battery disconnect. Nothing came on. Tried to turn on the Xantrex, nothing. Checked the inverter, fuses on top of the house batteries, everything okay. I can't get the power reel out with no power.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #12

1. You got any voltage readings for any of your batteries?

2. Isn't there some sort of manual release on the power reel?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have good voltage (14.2). The batteries are 10 months old.

I looked in the manual and the power reel does not mention a manual release.

I left the batteries on a 6v charge all night (12 hours) and still have the same response/nothing coming thru the system from the house batteries or the chasis batteries. Once again, the only thing that raised my concern was the gas detection device near the floor under the refrig was beepin and displayed a low voltage fault.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Charlie,
It may be time to call Newmar. Their tech support line is 800-731-8300. Have your vin or coach number when you call.

There may be a master fuse blown. I do not know where this is on your coach.