Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #1

Be gentle...I'm new here

Hello fellow adventurers. I need a big favor and need your opinions more than ever.

So I do not own any type of rv. I am interested in making a purchase. The story goes we have dogs at home and every time we take a trip we need to find someone to baby sit them. Many time we have to pay a substantial amount for this. Like $100/day. Before our kids were born we rented out a 26' class b for a week so we could see what it would be like to take our dogs on an adventure with us. It went really well. Stayed at a KOA camp in west Florida and it was awesome.

Now we have two young Children and would live to adventure with them...and the dogs. We figured getting an rv would do the trick for us. Now the big question....we have a 2008 Honda Pilot and a 2016 Honda Odyssey. According to my research both have a 3500lb towing rating. So far that doesn't leave us much to choose from as we cannot leave our dogs in a pop up camper according to a few places that we researched to camp at. (Fort wilderness in Disney world was one of them which would probably be a favorite to go to for the next few years). My niece also just moved to boulder, co and my wife and I are both teachers. We'd love to spend our summers traveling out west.

Here's the debate...do I invest in a new/used car that can tow substantially more THEN invest in a nice trailer? Or do I take that money and invest in a class a or b motorhome and trailer one of our cars?

Please help! I would love to hear your experienced opinions. Plus the pros and cons of everything.

Thanks!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!

Started with a TT in 1969 and got my first MH in 1988. Won't ever be going back to a TT.
There isn't a car made now that can tow a reasonably sized trailer, you need a larger SUV or pickup.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #3

We have a Class C motorhome although we're looking at Class A's. I prefer motorhomes and towing a car because we are self contained: when we park in a storm we don't have to do anything other than eat and go to bed. Plus there are no potty breaks except for the driver.
With the motorhome the only time I need to drive the V8 or V10 is when we're camping. Using a 2500, 3500 or 4500 for a daily driver doesn't work for me.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 PM   #4

Awesome advice! I knew I could find great answers here from your experiences.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:11 AM   #5

For ease of travel for mea motorhome is the way to go. We just did 1600 miles in 5 days from utah to Oregon and back.

I was able to drive more than half way, pull over and take a 3 hour nap, jump back in the driver's seat and continue in all while the 4 kids were sleeping. Also having the ability for the wife to cook a meal of some sort, and use the bathroom while in motion really saves time on those short time frame trips.

It's funny how the kids still complain and ask " are we there yet? How much longer?" Poor kids have to just sit there and relax for 13 hours. Must be rough on them🤔
Old 08-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #6

Our family has run the cycle (pop-up, hybrid, 32' travel trailer, class C) over the past 13 years. By the time we got everything "perfect" (with a huge trailer and massive diesel pickup), my wife wouldn't drive due to the size & complexity. And my daily driver became that massive pickup.

With the class C, we have room for four adults + two big dogs, it's easy to drive, awesomely simple to park, has almost zero setup time, and we use it a lot more.

I know motorhomes are more expensive than a trailer, but don't require you to purchase a dedicated tow vehicle, weight distribution hitch, add-on mirrors, etc. Also, there are approximately one zillion used motorhomes on the market with really low mileage (I think many are captivated by the thought of hitting the open road at RV shows but end up not liking it). Buying used could reduce the cost difference quite a bit.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #7

First I wanted to say Welcome to the iRV2 forum. For the most part we are a friendly group of RV'ers and you don't have to worry about us being gentle. Just ask away!

Second I wanted to thank you for teaching our children and/or adults! I know that job is a thankless job and at times can be stressful. But you are needed for the future of our societies.

Third, go for it. Whether you get a TT or a motorhome go and experience what this and out neighboring countries have to offer. My daughters still talk about the adventures we had while camping as a family.Memories, that is what its all about.

Fourthly, many of us travel with pets, be it dogs, cats, monkeys, birds. We travel with a puppy and two cats. Wouldn't have it any other way. Just make sure the animals are healthy,properly immunized, have vet paperwork, and just incase they were to get lost from you get them chipped.

We travel with our 13 year old granddaughter every chance we get. She is a great assistant when we arrive at a campsite by guiding me back into a camp spot, hooking or unhooking the utilities, getting the satilite dish out and set up or putting is away, etc. We also visit a lot of factories and take advantage of the tours most of them have. One of the most memorable to her was watching $700,000 Newmar Motorhomes being made. She still has a King Aire brochure in her bedroom! Oh yes, the Ben and Jerry's Ice cream tour was a hit also!

So get out there and enjoy. Good luck with your RV search!
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #8

We purchased our motorhome in March and are on an extended trip from FL to Michigan over to NY and back home via the Smoky Nat Park. We are new but are gaining experience quickly. We prefer to stay at state parks and so far of the 14 parks we've stayed at all but 3 have been state parks, mostly in Michigan.
Some observations: Motorhomes in Michigan state parks are almost non existent. That's also true in Kansas, Mo, and IA. In most parks we were the only Class A and almost always the largest. I believe at least part of the reason for this is cost. A new 35' 5th wheel or TT and tow truck will cost perhaps a third what a comparable motorhome costs. Additionally many folks at least in the northern part of the US use their pickups for other things than camping so a TT or 5th wheel is a good fit for them.

Another observation, most campers in the state parks are of working age. As retirees, we found ourselves outnumbered by those still working. Many campers in their 30 and 40"s.

In Michigan where we are now and have camped in 5 state parks, a 40' motorhome is big for most of the sites. We reserved back in April and always chose sites appropriate for a 40' motorhome, but it's tight getting into most sites. Doable but stressful. We're getting use to it though.

I have no experience pulling a RV, but we both love our Class A and wouldn't do it any other way.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Our dog is pushing 15 years old and have been to 48 states and traveled over 100,000 miles in our various RV's. We also had 3 kids with us who have now grown into road tripping adults while we're still stuck with their dog...

- a TT won't work for you, kids and the dog. If you have a TT, you still have to deal with the cramped conditions in your vehicle, stop for bathroom breaks, and if you stop at a supermarket or tourist venue that does not allow dogs, you're stuck. Can't leave the dog in hot car or hot TT.
- With a motorhome, kids can pee away at 60mph while you travel down the road. If you stop, you can turn on the generator, leave the AC on, and leave the dog in a cool environment while you enjoy the venue.

We started off with a class C which will give you the most bang for your buck.

Good luck!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome...
We got the coach because of the expense of boarding our dog... the wife COULDN'T put her put her pup in just some old kennel ! It had to be a suite with a raised bed and treats and play time and tv monitoring and

Both of your honda's can probably be towed 4 down behind a coach and not need to be trailered...
I know my sister tows her Honda Odysey and honda crv 4 down... so check the owners manual on yours to find out the procedure.

Know this - just get started and learn as you go... you'll have more stories to tell around the campfire !

A LONG time ago (1985'ish) before the I learned all this stuff and the weight police were still in training, I towed a HEAVY 1981 Jeep Wrangler behind a FOUR cylinder Winnebago LeSharo diesel with the upgraded 75 hp and a clamp on BUMPER hitch !!!

We even made it to over the Blue Ridge mountains with that combo
Old 08-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
IF you are not sure the RV is way to go then be mindful of two milestones:

NEW: You take a huge depreciation hit once you take the RV off the lot. Same as a car but a larger amount.

USED: 1)A lot of typical financing places wont touch a RV loan for a RV over 10yrs old (they do not care if it is a popup or 45' DP). Point being, if you become a seller at some point and your RV is now over 10yrs old, your pool of buyers is reduced to cash buyers. 2)IF you owe more than the NADA value then the financial place won't let a buyer assume your loan either. 3) Chances are good that if you purchase at the max loan value that the RV will depreciate faster than your monthly payments will reduce the principle on the loan.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

If I were in your situation I would get a larger vehicle, then a larger RV!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #13

A Lot of good replies, like others have said I would agree, Class C or Class A, towing the 2016 4 down. Tow dollies get old real quick, they are 1500 pounds and 2 extra tires to take care of. Then where are you going to store it? Some good evidence in the classified section of 4 tow dollies less than 2 months old for sale. That gets old,, real quick.

That and an emphasis on bunk beds, so each child has their own space.

#3, figure out how to keep the kids from absolute obliteration of your data plan while on the road
Old 08-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #14

I agree with the others. Class A and tow a car.

Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote