Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Beaver throttle problem

We have a 1991 Beaver Marques with a 3176 Cat and a HT-747, 4 speed transmission. We tow a 2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara. My question is, does anyone know anything about the air control throttle system? There seems to be a slight delay after you push down on the throttle and when the motor responds. Is this normal?, we have had this coach for about 4 years and really like it, we put about 10,000 miles on it per year, it has 90,000 or so. Also sometime when I start it up cold, it will start and run at about 1,000 RPM for about 30 or 40 seconds, then drop to 600 and sometimes it starts at about 600 RPM, also sometimes when I Start it up, I have no throttle for anywhere from 2 or 3 seconds to 10 seconds. I really havent been to concerned with all this sence the motor is plenty strong and we get between 9 and 10 MPG and has never used any oil between oil changes (usually around 3,500 miles). Ive never actually talked to anyone who owns one to compare notes, apparently there are not to many around. This is the first forum Ive been on so I'm interested to see if I get any response, thanks in advance. Also I hope I'm doing this forum thing right. We live in NW Washington state.

Mike & Janet
racerfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Hi Mike and Janet,

I have a 91 Beaver Marquis too!!! And I know another member that has one in Portland. I'm just north in British Columbia.

I can't help you with your problem, I haven't actually driven mine much because it needed to have major mechanical work done on it which was just completed on Friday.

I'd love to talk to you privately, compare notes. I just bought mine in early August and I'm heading south for the winter in 3 weeks.

Please contact me at janshark1960@yahoo.com!!

Janshark in a 1991 Beaver Marquis and a Jeep Wrangler (the Beavertail) towed with a Blue Ox Aventa II towbar and M&G aux brake system.
Janshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey Racer, I'm the 'other' guy with the 1991 beaver marquis on this forum! I have had my coach for about 4 months and love it. I notice now in the cold weather... when I start... the RPms are 'elevated' for about 30 seconds... then drop back down again. ...(warm weather I have not noticed this though) Jan shark & I would LOVE TO SHARE some notes w/you .... we are both fairly new owners and have had some colorful experiances so far... my MSN messenger addy is fkloster@lumber.com
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Just some speculation on the elevated rpms- its getting cooler, and many engine management systems have a cold-start "high-idle" elevation of rpms for warm-up. Newer coaches do this electronically thru the engine's computer (and you can usually adjust the actual rpms thru the cruise controls), and you can manually kick that off by depressing the brake.

Don't know the level of electronicification on your rigs, but this could also be done using analog controls. Could be that intake air heater(s) kick in till some Intake Air Temp (IAT) is achieved or something like that, and the throttle is kicked up w/a solenoid piston on the throttle mechanism.

If the times it didn't happen were when it was warm, that's probably what's up. Just normal control function.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
I have a Cummins ISB and I see some delay in revving the engine after depressing the throttle. Mine is an electronic link. 1000 RPM sounds like a fast idle. When I switch mine to fast idle manually it goes to 1000 RPM.
Jim Walker
N Virginia
2014 Palazzo 33.2
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote