Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2016, 06:00 AM   #1

Bedroom AC/Heat wall thermostat

2012 Allegro 36LA. The heat function of the bedroom thermostat does not turn on the furnace. I'm starting to think this is normal and it's only function is to control the rear AC.
I have main thermostat set to "gas" heat. Set temp is 68 degrees and room temp is 70 degrees. So, system is on but not calling for heat. Rear/Bedroom thermostat is turned to gas and set temp is 70 degrees, room temp is 68. Why doesn't the furnace fire up?
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #2

more than likely your system is like ours... the furnace is only controlled by the front(main) thermostat controller. It generally uses a temp sensor either in the thermostat panel itself, or somewhere in the general living area, such as the bottom of an overhead cabinet.
since it is sensing the temp in the front(70), then it will not kick on until it reaches your desired temp of 68. you may have a slight difference in temperature between the front and back of your coach, so you may want to close off some of the vents in the front area, sending more warm air to the rear/bedroom area, and set the front temp to 70 instead.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
more than likely your system is like ours... the furnace is only controlled by the front(main) thermostat controller. It generally uses a temp sensor either in the thermostat panel itself, or somewhere in the general living area, such as the bottom of an overhead cabinet.
since it is sensing the temp in the front(70), then it will not kick on until it reaches your desired temp of 68. you may have a slight difference in temperature between the front and back of your coach, so you may want to close off some of the vents in the front area, sending more warm air to the rear/bedroom area, and set the front temp to 70 instead.

Thanks Mr T.. I figured that a generic wall thermostat was installed back there but only the AC function works.
By the way, my gas furnace vents re not adjustable.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy54 View Post
2012 Allegro 36LA. The heat function of the bedroom thermostat does not turn on the furnace. I'm starting to think this is normal and it's only function is to control the rear AC.
I have main thermostat set to "gas" heat. Set temp is 68 degrees and room temp is 70 degrees. So, system is on but not calling for heat. Rear/Bedroom thermostat is turned to gas and set temp is 70 degrees, room temp is 68. Why doesn't the furnace fire up?
If there is a setting for gas, then i would think it should be used for heat control. What else would a "gas" setting be for?

I would think the cover of the thermostat could be easily removed. If so, then check the wiring behind it. Typically, unless it's a heat pump or some other more complex configuration, there will be 5 wires coming into the stat for heating and cooling. Two for supply voltage, one for heat, one for cooling, and one for fan control. If it only has 4 wires, then it's set up for one or the other, heating, or in your case, maybe cooling.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #5

The bedroom thermostat has no control over the propane furnace. Only the front/main thermostat does.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
The bedroom thermostat has no control over the propane furnace. Only the front/main thermostat does.
+1 Agree completely and Tiffin tends to use the same thermostat throughout the coach evev if some of the functions are not needed.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
If there is a setting for gas, then i would think it should be used for heat control. What else would a "gas" setting be for?

I would think the cover of the thermostat could be easily removed. If so, then check the wiring behind it. Typically, unless it's a heat pump or some other more complex configuration, there will be 5 wires coming into the stat for heating and cooling. Two for supply voltage, one for heat, one for cooling, and one for fan control. If it only has 4 wires, then it's set up for one or the other, heating, or in your case, maybe cooling.
Different brand, but mine also has a setting for ELEC Heat (heat Pump). They distinguish the 2 so you know what you are getting. Yes the rear only has Heat and AC and yes the front one controls if it uses the Elec or Gas heat.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:45 AM   #8

Lightbulb

Quote:
By the way, my gas furnace vents re not adjustable.
while true, you can cover any VEntS in the forward area of the coach to push more warm air to the rear... we use some of the vinyl/magnetic(?) vent covers found at the normal hardware store of hardware area of the big box store.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
while true, you can cover any VEntS in the forward area of the coach to push more warm air to the rear... we use some of the vinyl/magnetic(?) vent covers found at the normal hardware store of hardware area of the big box store.

Just be aware that some coach manufacturers size their furnaces and ductwork for a specific volume of air flow. Both supply and return. So by blocking supply or return air vents may cause problems with some units. As an example... furnace may trip on hi temperature limit switch.
Just something to keep in mind....
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, thermostat