RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

Bedroom slide blowing fuses

I have used the search function but only found and older post that I wasn't able to respond to.

MH is a 2004 Fleetwood Excursion 39J DP.

I have been experiencing an issue with bedroom slide going in and out. I have gone through about 5 fuses and changed the board and still blowing fuses.
If I change the fuse I can get the slide to go out, when I try to bring it back in it blows. I have been able to operate the slide by plugging the harness into the living room slide.

The bedroom control board is the one on the left in the picture and has been swapped although it did not resolve the issue and blew a fuse on first try. I have checked the wires and all seem to be in good shape and cant find anything blocking.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161129_100729.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	220676  

dunerunner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #2

Questions ?

By referring to the controller on the left , do you mean the left of the three , Power Gear system controllers in the picture ; or the left of the two , identical controllers?

You say you can operate the bedroom slide , by " plugging the harness into the living room slide" .
Did you mean the living room slide controller ?
The fuse never blows when the wiring is hooked to the living room slide controller?

Does the fuse always blow, at the same point on the " in cycle " ?
The start of the " in cycle " of the slide , is the point where the load on the drive motor is the highest; at least on my slides.
You've swapped out controllers , I'm assuming you now have 3 controllers ?
Do all three work if used to operate the living room slide ?
Have you tried swapping the switches , between the two slides ?

Old 09-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #3

Hello DuneRunner 4
You have eliminated the control board since "swapping" it with the bedroom SO control. If the fuse is blowing, it means that the motor is drawing too much current. This could be caused by only one of the following problems.
1. The motor itself is bad.
2. The SO had a mechanical bind in it causing the motor to drive very hard and consuming a large amount of current causing the fuse to blow.
3. A short in the wiring between the SO control and the motor.

A SO switch very low current and would not cause this problem. It is basically a signal to operate the control board to move the slide.

Best Regards
Dutch Master
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it blows immediately, it has a short (wiring, switch or motor); if delayed, suspect high load/ high current, or bad motor windings.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Questions ?

By referring to the controller on the left , do you mean the left of the three , Power Gear system controllers in the picture ; or the left of the two , identical controllers? Yes the far left controller of the 2 identical.

You say you can operate the bedroom slide , by " plugging the harness into the living room slide" .
Did you mean the living room slide controller ? Correct I can plug it in to the controller next to it and in & out no issues.
The fuse never blows when the wiring is hooked to the living room slide controller? Never had an issue with the other controller.

Does the fuse always blow, at the same point on the " in cycle " ? Yes, start of cycle
The start of the " in cycle " of the slide , is the point where the load on the drive motor is the highest; at least on my slides.
You've swapped out controllers , I'm assuming you now have 3 controllers ?
Do all three work if used to operate the living room slide ? I have not tried the living room slide using the room controller
Have you tried swapping the switches , between the two slides ?

I will try to operate the living room slide with bedroom controller
Old 09-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

THenne1713 & Dutch Master,

I agree with your assessment however I have not been able to find the issue. I would think I would see a high current draw when using the other controller but I do not.

If the motor it seems to drive in an out fine when using the other controller.

I have checked all the wiring for shorts and find nothing.

Thanks for the comments
Old 09-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #7

Good day again dunerunner4
According to your original post

"The bedroom control board is the one on the left in the picture and has been swapped although it did not resolve the issue and blew a fuse on first try."

But then on your second post:
I agree with your assessment however I have not been able to find the issue. I would think I would see a high current draw when using the other controller but I do not."

Swapping the controller - i.e. using the good controller (i.e. Bedroom) with the bad controller (main room) would eliminate the issue of a controller problem and eliminate a wiring and mechanical bind problem. You stated both it did not (1st post) and it did (second post). A very difficult problem to find a solution. The only other solution I can come up with is to purchase a DC clamp amp meter - NOT DC. A good one can be purchased on Amazon by typing "DC current clamp meter" in the search box. By using the meter, you can "measure" the difference when swapping the controller. If the current is the same, then it is a motor or mechanical bind issue.

Best of Luck
Dutch Master
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #8

Thanks Dutch Master - My fault on the confusion. I should have stated I would have thought I would see a higher current draw when using the living room control.

I will take a look at the meter suggested as I plan to resolve the issue this weekend.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2018, 09:32 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it "seems to drive in and out fine with the other controller", THE CONTROLLER IS THE MOST LIKELY ISSUE, and no sense wasting time/ money on other ammeters, tests, equipment?
Old 09-30-2018, 07:58 PM   #10

Thanks guys - I got stuck on another project this weekend and never got to the slide. Will advise what I come up with when I dig into it.

Thanks, Doug

Tags
fuse, fuses, slide