Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #1

Benefits & disdvantages of dual axle on back?

Hi,
I have been looking at several older RV's (around 1997-2000) and have come across some with the dual axles on the back. I'm just wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are for this as it may help my selection.

I see it as more weight, more tires to repair/replace and likely more toll booth cash however I could only assume its a nicer ride?

Any thoughts on this?

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Along with what you mentioned already it has more braking ability.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Maybe.. if it has brakes on the tag axle..

I see it just as the OP said: More weight but less mileage, more toll cost, more tire cost, more maint cost, higher purchasing costs, etc...
Old 03-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not positive, but I believe all MH tag axles came with brakes. Big issue with older ones is do they still work?

Tag axle also helps with stability especially on the older Ford chassis.

Back in the 80's and 90's when motorhomes started getting longer and heavier, there was no gas chassis that could really handle the bigger coaches properly so a tag axle was a required. By 2000 model year Ford and Chevy chassis were offered with longer wheelbases and higher weight capacity so you don't normally see tags on the gassers after that.

There are good and bad issues but I believe the good outweighs, especially if your coach outweighs a single axle chassis.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #5

Thanks all..lots to think about. Thinkin I may pass on the tag axle MH! I appreciate your assistance...as always!

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just can not imagine a tag axle on a motor home not having brakes, as far as they whether or not they work the same could be said for brakes on any axle. I can not imagine either that any one would operate a motor home with only one axle worth of brakes but it would not be the first time my assumptions have been wrong
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
Hi,
I have been looking at several older RV's (around 1997-2000) and have come across some with the dual axles on the back. I'm just wondering what the advantages and disadvantages are for this as it may help my selection.

I see it as more weight, more tires to repair/replace and likely more toll booth cash however I could only assume its a nicer ride?

Any thoughts on this?
Generally 90's gas coaches over 32' long will need a tag axle to handle the additional weight of a longer rig. Also it helps keep the coach from having "tail wagging" issues due to excessive weight/overhang after the rear axle. Most tag axles have electric brakes.
I am glad I found a good handling rig that does not need a tag axle. I don't need the added expense of tires, wheel bearings and brakes wearing out on an additional axle

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
more weight, more tires to repair/replace and likely more toll booth cash however I could only assume its a nicer ride?
It would REALLY depend on the chassis and/or coach mfg'er, and what they did in the specific case. I cannot imagine any quality engineered rig less than 39 ft requiring/having a tag axle (but there are some on the road). In some cases they were tacked on to compensate for an inadequate chassis under a too heavy coach (but what did that do to the front axle weights?) ...in some other cases they were properly engineered from the start. I would proceed with extreme caution in dealing with a tag axle coach below the 42 ft diesel category...
Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
It would REALLY depend on the chassis and/or coach mfg'er, and what they did in the specific case. I cannot imagine any quality engineered rig less than 39 ft requiring/having a tag axle
Back on the Ford F53's with 16" wheels it was a matter of tire load capacity. With a 16" setup you only have 11,000 pounds of carry capacity on that axle -- and heck, with my 30', with 70 gallons of fresh water and 75 gallons of fuel plus out odds and ends, we are at 10,500 pounds.

Once Ford went to 19.5" wheels you had tires that could carry a lot more weight and the issue went away.

Steve