Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Getting a kitten after the return of our current trip. Looking for the best solutions out there for a litter box.

I have heard but, never seen the floor trap door w/the box in the basement. Is that the best? If so, how do you change the litter? Is the trade-off in storage space worth it? Also, did you box in the litter box area so the cat can't "explore" nooks and crannys where you might not be able to do a rescue?

In the past, our cat passed away last year, we have put the covered box in the closet in the back and left the door cracked.

As always, thanks.

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Getting a kitten after the return of our current trip. Looking for the best solutions out there for a litter box.

I have heard but, never seen the floor trap door w/the box in the basement. Is that the best? If so, how do you change the litter? Is the trade-off in storage space worth it? Also, did you box in the litter box area so the cat can't "explore" nooks and crannys where you might not be able to do a rescue?

In the past, our cat passed away last year, we have put the covered box in the closet in the back and left the door cracked.

As always, thanks.

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Don't have a cat and really don't wnat one, but it seems the simple thing would be to put the litter box in the shower, block the door open 4 or so inches then add a bunji cord to keep it from flopping. Any litter would be on the plastic floor and not in the carpet. Don't have to cut a hole in the floor.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We like to keep it simple. The shower will work, however I got tired of cleaning the shower pan out everytime we wanted to shower. We now use a jumbo litter pan (we travel with 3 cats)coverd with a wicker enclosure. The enclosure is placed off to one side in the living room and doubles as a small table.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #5

Scott we have been traveling with our cat for over 15 years. We found her on the way home from Alaska and she loves to travel. We have always put the litter box in the basement of our motor home and it works out very well. I cut a hole in the floor of the MH near our recliner. Since our floor is very thick, I put angle iron around the cut out so the piece we cut out, with the carpet on it, can be used for covering the hole we not in use. It is out of the way so it is not a safety hazard. Draw back is you do lose some storage in the basement but the litter box is out of sight out of mine. Might want to check with MH manufacture to be on the safe side.

Good luck and if you want pictures just e-mail me and I foward them to you.

Roy Francis
Old 01-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use a covered liter box with a door flap. We got a plastic mat dealy from Pets R Us that fits under the front of the box to help catch litter being tracked out.
That doesn't do as good a job as we would like so we recently added a small throw rug under the box.
The box sits in the hall and can't be seen from the front room.

I have seen a door cut into the dinette with a hole in the floor under the dinette that goes down to a box in a storage bay.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #7

Scott, we fulltime with 3 cat kids and use a covered litter box placed on a larger plastic storage container lid. The lid/litter box fit in the corner in front of our washing machine in the rear passenger corner of the MH. The idea of the lid is to keep the litter somewhat contained since one of our girls has very furry paws. Of course the covered litter box is also a attempt to keep the litter contained.

I have seen the hole cut in the floor and litterbox in the basement and it seemed to work great. They cut a hole in the side of their entrance steps leading to a compartment and carpeted it so the kitty could enter and exit safely. The compartment was divided with plywood to keep the cat from being able to wander the innards of the entire compartment. They also built a screen that would fit across the compartment door opening so on nice days the kitty could sunbath etc safely. They kept the litter box, food, water and a small bed in the compartment so in reality it was a self contained home. I think their kitty really enjoyed the privacy and I know he enjoyed the ability to watch the world from his screen room when they were parked.