Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2006, 05:39 PM   #1

Just want everyone's opinion on the best for the money sat finder. A good friend of mine says the local shop puts on all the tour buses and uses trac star. but i read the papers and says nothing about GPS. Is the gps systems the newest and best? Thanks in advance, Justin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2006, 05:39 PM   #2

Just want everyone's opinion on the best for the money sat finder. A good friend of mine says the local shop puts on all the tour buses and uses trac star. but i read the papers and says nothing about GPS. Is the gps systems the newest and best? Thanks in advance, Justin

Old 07-14-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Justin, WELCOME to iRV2!!

The "TracStar" and "KingDome" are clones of one another....

I personally like the King Dome as it has it's own controller box and needs no lap top.
I use the "in motion" dome and have Directv with the DNS waiver, so I watch the east and west coast networks wherever I am...
My Newmar could have been ordered either with the KVH or the King Dome....
Old 07-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #4

I have a local friend that has a KVH system and it is a 99'model. He has had a lot of trouble with it and i've helped reprogram with my laptop. Thanks for the welcome, and am new to the whole rv thing. Going to the races will be so much nicer for the family. have you heard much about the gps system? I have found a great deal on a system with the newest tech. http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=3500A Justin
Old 07-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin @M&M Racecars:
I have a local friend that has a KVH system and it is a 99'model. He has had a lot of trouble with it and i've helped reprogram with my laptop. Thanks for the welcome, and am new to the whole rv thing. Going to the races will be so much nicer for the family. have you heard much about the gps system? I have found a great deal on a system with the newest tech. http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=3500A Justin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't attest to in motion ability, but the Winegard 3500A Moving Vu that I recently installed sure works nice. It has automatic satellite seeking via signal emmitted by satellite.
Winegard IMHO is quality equipment.

Dieselclacker
Old 07-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #6

hey dieselclacker, do you have any complaints on the 3500a? Does it locate pretty quick? and does it stay on the sat while you drive? I know it is suppost to, but everyone's unit is the best, right. I think this is one of the best, for the technology is the latest, gps. Let me know if you know of anything, Justin
Old 07-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin @M&M Racecars:
hey dieselclacker, do you have any complaints on the 3500a? Does it locate pretty quick? and does it stay on the sat while you drive? I know it is suppost to, but everyone's unit is the best, right. I think this is one of the best, for the technology is the latest, gps. Let me know if you know of anything, Justin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Justin, it takes about 2 minutes to find primary, find secondary, return to and lock on to primary satellite. 3500A does use latest technology. Cant attest to operation of inmotion version, (kids all grownup) From all that have talked to it works really well.

Dieselclacker.

P.S&gt; What kind of race car?
Old 07-20-2006, 06:19 AM   #8

Thanks, 2min is not too bad. Planning on going in motion and receiver communication is were the problem on my buddy's was. We build Dragsters. www.mmracecars.com thanks again.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:31 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I have the KVH L3. It works as advertised, have had no trouble with it and would buy it again.

The grand kids us the in-motion feature and I never hear a peep out of them.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #10

If you have directv, DON'T get the KVH L2 unless you have one of the older receiver. The new D10 from Directv does not tell the dish to lock on sat...even when DTV claims the software is fixed. This effectively renders the L2/DTV combination a no-no. I will be upgrading the L2 to a gps based system...I have no other option(s) available.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #11

Tracstar is the originator of inmotion satellite systems. They sold their technology to Kingdom. Both are excellent we have tracstar on our 45' CC and it's terrific.