Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
We bought our MH used with 10,000 miles on it. (F53) Not knowing on what type of oil it was changed with, is it ok to go to the semi synthetic oil?
If you have the V-10 motor, Yes by all means put either Semi-Synthetic in it. I use 5-30w Motorcraft. Do not interchange oil in it.
In other words add Dino Oil to Semi-Synthetic I got that from The Ford Dealership that services my RV. Either run Semi-Synthetic or Synthetic in it. If you choose to use non-synthetic it will not hurt it. But you need to remember do not intermix them.

Good Luck

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #16
IC2

I've used the recommended Motorcraft Semi synthetic in my F350/V10 along with the Motorcraft oil, air and transmission filters ever since I bought it. It doesn't go down more then about a half quart in 5-6000 miles. In previous Ford trucks, I've tried the heavily advertised Castrol - that particular engine burned 3+ quarts in 2-3000 miles. Used Valvoline, Havoline and were OK. Used Mobil 1 - worked fine, but the benefits cost vs the Motorcraft wasn't worth it. Amsoil, Lucas or Royal Purple have a mystique, most likely generated by advertising, but is a $12+ a quart oil THAT much better then a $3/quart (Motorcraft)? If you read any of the websites for any top name oil, they are "all the best that money can buy" - and tests prove it Balony
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I've used the recommended Motorcraft Semi synthetic in my F350/V10 along with the Motorcraft oil, air and transmission filters ever since I bought it. It doesn't go down more then about a half quart in 5-6000 miles. In previous Ford trucks, I've tried the heavily advertised Castrol - that particular engine burned 3+ quarts in 2-3000 miles. Used Valvoline, Havoline and were OK. Used Mobil 1 - worked fine, but the benefits cost vs the Motorcraft wasn't worth it. Amsoil, Lucas or Royal Purple have a mystique, most likely generated by advertising, but is a $12+ a quart oil THAT much better then a $3/quart (Motorcraft)? If you read any of the websites for any top name oil, they are "all the best that money can buy" - and tests prove it Balony

Ford Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic Oil is between $3.00 and $4.99 a Qt, as compared to Castrol which runs about $6.99 a Qt. That's at Napa, and or O'Riely's. Wal-Mart aka China-Mart has the Ford Motor Craft Semi-Synthetic Oil for $2.79 a Qt.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #18

I have gone from laughing hysterically at Amsoi-used to call it -scamsoil- to becoming 100% convinced there really is a difference and when you become a 'preferred' customer the stuff is a few pennies LESS expenisve than Mobil 1 even with the shipping.

I am not an Amsoil dealer, do not profit in any way from Amsoil sales-its the only oil I use now and have not used anything else in four years.

What convinced me to give it a try was this: I went to do a sales call at a very well respected engine builder and when I walked in all I saw were cases of Amsoil on the shelves-I figured that if he was using the stuff in engines that start at 15g's I would give it a try....

As for 20wt oil, its used for one reason only-fuel economy numbers.

If you are going to change oil frequently-3500 miles- dino will do just fine, going longer I would only use a full synthetic AND if I had an engine that specd a 20 wt -I- would only use a full synthetic regardless of oil change intervals.
rough road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #19

My limited understanding is that it is save to switch to a synthetic blend oil at any time. If you switch to a full synthetic oil then you must use for all future oil changes. My internet research and the comments posted indicate it is worth the extra cost to use either a synthetic blend or full synthetic oil (almost like an insurance policy to protect the engine). However, the mechanic at the RV center doesn't believe the extra cost for synthetic oil is worth it if you regularly change your oil. I hope this helps.
Andy-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #20

The V10 in our Damon, a 7.3l Diesel in my pickup, several other Ford engines, the onan genset, our home standby genset and my Wife's Harley all use and run very well on Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic. This way I only need to keep one oil on had for all the engines.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-Mo View Post
In Sept 2012, we purchased a 2012 Winnebago Aspect on a Ford E450 chassis with a 305-hp 6.8L Super-Duty V10 SEFI Triton engine and want to know the best oil to use to provide the best maintenance of the engine - - synthetic, synthetic blend or "regular". I've read that synthetic oil is unsuitable for break-in (i.e., the initial run-in period of the vehicle), where friction is desirable to cause wear. I've contacted customer service at both Winnebago & Ford regarding the best oil to use, and neither group would give me a recommendation on what oil to use. Any guidance/ recommendation you can provide will be greatly appreciated. thanks
Andy, I looked up your engine on the AMSOIL website to see what Ford's and AMSOIL's recommendations are:

2012 FORD TRUCKS E450 VAN 6.8L 10-cyl Engine Code [S]
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*[1]
Maximum Performance SAE 5W-20 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ALMQT)
Performance Plus XL 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLMQT)
Performance Synthetic 5W20 OE Motor Oil (OEMQT) All TEMPS......5W-20

[1] Motor oil meeting specification WSS-M2C945-A.

FILTERS:
Oil Filter 25,000-Mile Ea Oil Filter (EAO11)

My motorhome has the 2007 vintage of your engine. I use the above AMSOIL synthetic ALM and change at AMSOIL's recommended/warranted 15,000 mile up to one year oil and filter change interval, rather than Ford's 3,000 mile recommendation using a minimum conventional oil and filter. I had the oil tested at the end of the 15,000 miles and it was recommended for continued use. A 12 qt case is $89.25 wholesale and 2 of the 25,000 mile/1 year oil filters are $26.30 wholesale. That should do you for 2 years and with the improved mpg, will likely cost you nothing and likely save you additional money. And only 2 synthetic oil and filter changes compared to up to 10 oil and filter conventional changes.
Damon Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
JCTHORNE: are you saying that you use the same weight oil in all of those engines, or just the same type of oil? i would imagine that the onan uses 15w40, and the v10 is speced for 5w20.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What ever the factory recommends!

Also remember that some oils claim to be designed to meet a spec., but have never been tested by the manufacturer to actually meet that spec. Amsoil was one that used to do that and even included a very official looking seal on their packages, but if you looked closely it actually wasn't approved.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
What ever the factory recommends!

Also remember that some oils claim to be designed to meet a spec., but have never been tested by the manufacturer to actually meet that spec. Amsoil was one that used to do that and even included a very official looking seal on their packages, but if you looked closely it actually wasn't approved.
All that is required by Ford is that the oil meets the 5w-20 viscosity and their Ford WSS-M2C945-A specs (which of course AMSOIL and several other brands state they do) and does not fail during use. Ford does not have to approve every brand that meets those specifications. If Ford were to require only certain brands can be used, by law they have to provide it for free.

Vehicle warranties do not cover oil failure, only parts failure. So make sure the oil company will cover an oil failure with a written warranty.

AMSOIL has never used "a very official looking seal on their packages" that "wasn't approved". API, FTC, BBB, consumer groups and an army of oil companies and lawyers would have made it an issue if it was true.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Just can't wrap my head around Amsoil, never could.
I run 0W-20 Mobil1, have since I bought it, gets around 9.5 mpg. 65.000 miles, and still ging strong. Change the Trans fluid every two years. Mercon V . I'm married to this thing, so I need to keep it going as long as I can. Cost is a secondary issue.
K.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMech View Post
Just can't wrap my head around Amsoil, never could.
What don't you understand about AMSOIL? I'm a retired Shell Oil chemist, maybe I can help.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
JCTHORNE: are you saying that you use the same weight oil in all of those engines, or just the same type of oil? i would imagine that the onan uses 15w40, and the v10 is speced for 5w20.
Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. One oil in all those applications. Rotella T6 is an exact and recommended replacment for 15W40 conventional oil in all Diesel and air cooled engines. As for the V10, Ford only specs 5W20 in the US and has not always. The rest of the world and in the US until recently they specified 5W30. The 5W20 is a fuel efficiency at the cost of durability decision. Other engines in the same family use higher weights where the load characteristics demand a better lubricant for warranty concerns. The 5.4 DOHC SC engines for example spec a 5W50. About all I can offer as 'proof' of the right decision is no noticable change in fuel economy (would you notice 0.1mpg?) and lab results show a reduction in wear metals in the used oil samples vs the 5w20 that was previously in the engine for its first 18k.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
wow. without doing some very thorough research i would never even consider going that far from the manufacturer's recommended oil weight. but, it looks like you have, and it's working for you. as for me, i'll stick with the mfg numbers.

Tags
v10