Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #1

Question Best Oil for 305-hp 6.8L Super-Duty V10 SEFI TritonŽ engine

In Sept 2012, we purchased a 2012 Winnebago Aspect on a Ford E450 chassis with a 305-hp 6.8L Super-Duty V10 SEFI Triton engine and want to know the best oil to use to provide the best maintenance of the engine - - synthetic, synthetic blend or "regular". I've read that synthetic oil is unsuitable for break-in (i.e., the initial run-in period of the vehicle), where friction is desirable to cause wear. I've contacted customer service at both Winnebago & Ford regarding the best oil to use, and neither group would give me a recommendation on what oil to use. Any guidance/ recommendation you can provide will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #2

from what i know, i would run regular oil 5w 20 for the first 5k miles and then after that go to the systhetic

Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #3

I bought a new Class A this year. I assume that Ford uses their Motor-craft synth blend from the factory. I changed the oil myself and went with Mobil 1 full synth from the get to.

I think engine break in is a thing of the past. I also think changing it regularly is more important then what you use. New pure dino or blends are pretty good and full synth is also great. I go further btw changes on synth but other than that, I don't really sweat it. Just use the correct weight per Ford and mark your mileage and maybe the driving conditions (Summer crawling the Rockies vs fall in Michigan).
Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #4

Had a F350 V10 and changed to full synthetic after the first oil change.
There is not the difference there use to be between the oils.
If you can handle the the cost difference, I would go with synthetic. The main thing is to stay with the 5-20 (the thin oil is needed) and do not jump brands. (If you search v-10 and oil on a ford forum you can find a lot more)
Note: Heavy loading or cold weather are still good reasons to go with synthetic. But if you look at the diesel forums there are many that run conventional. (Note: diesel and gasoline rated oils are different, again just to show the gap between conventional and synthetic is closing.)
Old 12-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
BMW and Mercedes all ship from the factory with synthetic, it's perfectly fine from day one.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On the V-10 Motor Ford Calls for 5-20w Semi-synthetic oil. I talked to the Ford Shop that services my RV they said that because of the tight tolerances in the motor they recommend 5-20w or 5-30w. They told me not to use 10-30w at all. They said that it would not hurt the motor to switch to full synthetic.

If We Can't Haul It...You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #7

Ford recommends 5W20 Semi-synthetic blend in their engines, and is shipped from the factory with same. Ford dealers use Motocraft semi-synthetic blend when you go in for an oil change.

Full synthetic is only a plus (but costs more). No manufacturer recommends extending oil change intervals if you use full synthetic, however.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on the Mobil 1, its never let me down. Been using it lomger than I care to remember
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot9000 View Post
I bought a new Class A this year. I assume that Ford uses their Motor-craft synth blend from the factory. I changed the oil myself and went with Mobil 1 full synth from the get to.

I think engine break in is a thing of the past. I also think changing it regularly is more important then what you use. New pure dino or blends are pretty good and full synth is also great. I go further btw changes on synth but other than that, I don't really sweat it. Just use the correct weight per Ford and mark your mileage and maybe the driving conditions (Summer crawling the Rockies vs fall in Michigan).
I"m not so sure about breaking in an engine being a thing of the past. I purchased a 2010 Ford truck and the manual still outlines a break in procedure. It recommends driving the vehicle at varying speeds for the first 1,000 miles (meaning not getting on the highway and setting the cruise control for an extended period) and cautions against full throttle acceleration from stop lights or stop signs. It also cauitons not to tow anything for the first 500 miles.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../10exdog3e.pdf
Old 12-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
i changed oil after 1,000 miles and switchted to motocraft full synthetic. this part in my opinion is very important...use a motocraft oil filter. it has a anti-drainback valve. this will allow oil pressure to built faster.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #11

Lon Boy

Brad Penn semi-synthetic( what us Corvette guys use) follow owners manual for W You wont be sorry.Read up on Brad Penn Oils one of the best.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I"m not so sure about breaking in an engine being a thing of the past. I purchased a 2010 Ford truck and the manual still outlines a break in procedure. It recommends driving the vehicle at varying speeds for the first 1,000 miles (meaning not getting on the highway and setting the cruise control for an extended period) and cautions against full throttle acceleration from stop lights or stop signs. It also cauitons not to tow anything for the first 500 miles.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOAEXD/~MUS~LEN/41/10exdog3e.pdf
My point was you don't need a break in oil. The only reason most manufacturers don't use full synth is cost. When cost is not a problem (Performance or high end cars such as BMW, Mercedes, etc) they come with full synthetic.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #13

Thumbs up

thanks for all the advice. Since it appears that Ford delivered the unit with synthetic blend, I asked the mechanic to use Mobile 1 synthetic blend oil and insist on using Motorcraft oil filters in the future.
Wishing you and yours a very Blessed, Happy and Healthy Holiday Season
Old 12-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #14

We bought our MH used with 10,000 miles on it. (F53) Not knowing on what type of oil it was changed with, is it ok to go to the semi synthetic oil?

pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v10