Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 01:04 AM   #1

Best roof mounted AC's

So as the weather warms up so do our coaches. What's is the best. 13,500 btu or 15,000 btu ducted ac units. Our 17 year old duo therm probably cut it back then but only blows out cool air. Not really COLD air like what we are after. So what's everyone's take on the best ac you've ever come across. We are about to be in the market for one for the main area in our 97 hr endeavor.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would go with the 15,000. You can never have too much, but you sure can have too little!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #3

When my Dometic 13.5btu ducted quit cooling a couple of months ago, I did change out with the larger Dometic 15.0btu. Even tho replaced with a larger btu unit, it fit perfectly in the same hole. Also, the shroud on top the MH on the larger unit is actually a little smaller. If I remember right, cost to go to the bigger unit was less that $100 difference. Well worth it.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #4

Ya I found the 15k duo for 599. Free shipping
Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasecoffey View Post
Ya I found the 15k duo for 599. Free shipping

That's obviously just A/C, not heat pump. Are you sure your old units are not heat pumps?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #6

I believe with the latest "environmentally friendly" freon it requires a 15,000 btu unit to cool, what a 13,500 btu unit could cool in the past.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I believe with the latest "environmentally friendly" freon it requires a 15,000 btu unit to cool, what a 13,500 btu unit could cool in the past.
A BTU is a BTU just as a mile is a mile and an inch an inch. As units age the compressors do not function as well, parts are wearing and the coils get dirty and corroded.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #8

Newer coolants boil at lower temps so they can cool better but tye pressures require different abilities in the equipment...that is just a simple statement.

Already stated btu is btu...it is a standard unit of measurement.

The difference from old to new woukd be in how they consume energy and in the amount of air they can move.

A little known item is if the outdoor coil or condenser is high or low temp.

The design of the coil matters in how the latent heat energy is transfered from the gas to the ambient air.

Most will work much better when ambient air is cooler.

Best when not needed...

Close look at specific data such as rated output DELIVERED at what temperature and expected comfort level.

I am not a hvac pro but was responsible for operation of many...learned about above things while dealing with multiple performance issues in central ca where it gets very hot.

There are pros here that could provide better and likely more understandable or correct information.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
A BTU is a BTU just as a mile is a mile and an inch an inch. As units age the compressors do not function as well, parts are wearing and the coils get dirty and corroded.
True BUT, my older son has been working at an RV repair shop for 20 years and tells me that a number of their customers have complained about their newly installed air conditioners not cooling as well as the units they replaced. The worst case was that of a woman who used a Born Free for her mobile dog grooming business. It was too hot to work inside with the new 13,500 btu unit, wheras the previous unit cooled fine.
That's their story (my son and his boss/shop owner) and they're sticking to it.
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #10

Both units provided same btu capacity of cooling but old unit may have moved more less cooler air to give more cooling effect than newer one.

The btu rating is only what the heat pump part can transfer from one coil to the other.

The fan and air flow matter as to how the heat is transfered from room to ac.

And newer everything is going to have cost driven out for better profit so likely fan is not as good or other differences.

It could also be brand specific as one car with x hp engine gets certian mpg while another with similar hp and weight gets a lot better or worse...

It is the system that matters and just the btu alone is not the whole thing.

Tags
roof