Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
If you purchase a good name brand START battery not a deep cycle you should be fine. Get the highest cranking amps that will fit the compartment. Interstate is what I use, just put a new battery in mine cranking a GULP V10 FORD. There are some parasitic loads such as radio that will run a start battery down over time, cure is installing a disconnect switch. Gulp is cuz I'm not a Ford guy but seems to be ok so far.

LEN

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 01:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Get the highest cranking amps that will fit the compartment.
LEN
That is my chassis battery criteria right there above.

Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:30 AM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNewbie55 View Post
Just in case there is a perception that Lifeline just makes deep cycle batteries for the coach and not for starters here is the link to their site explaining the differences between starter batteries and deep cycle.: Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries I have no dog in this race, but did a lot of research on batteries a few months ago and was ready to buy something other than Lifeline (due to their high cost) when I found this supplier (through a search on this forum) that offered them at a better price. As stated on their site their product meets military grade standards. I think this is one reason the high end coaches (Newell, Prevost and others) supply them as oem batteries. I have used Optima for many years in my off road vehicles with great success, but found their quality went down when they moved their production to Mexico several years ago. Even Costco quit handling Optima because of the high rate of return. I have since found the Sears Diehard Platinum Plus to be an excellent choice for off-road use in both starter and deep cycle use and would have gone with them until I found I could get the Lifetime delivered for about the same money.
Bob
I need 4 8D AGM's and contacted them about getting them from him. Shipping them to me would cost about $80 per battery and yet his price was still over $100 each cheaper than buying them locally!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #18

You can't buy better than Deka battery. They are manufctured in Pennsylvania); not imported. I just replaced my 2 engine starting batteries last week, with Deka grp 34; 950 CCA. They weigh 60 lbs each, and cost me about $225 for the pair. I bought from one of the Tri-State Battery Warehouse locations. I have no affiliation with them; just mentioning bc the price was good, and they have pallets of them in stock.

I always liked Interstate Battery quality, and they are decent, but have shifted most of their manufacturing to Mexico, which may or may not have an impact on quality.

Batteries made for chain store brands like Walmart, are made to meet a price point, and you can expect lower quality and shorter life. The savings aren't real, IMO.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I need 4 8D AGM's and contacted them about getting them from him. Shipping them to me would cost about $80 per battery and yet his price was still over $100 each cheaper than buying them locally!
Awesome!
RVNewbie55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
I want to replace my starter battery. (Gas Workhorse with the 8.1). Even though I know they recommend NOT using deep cycle for starting, I have used in past as my Coaches often sit for long periods in a storage yard without access to electricity and deep cycles seem to hold a charge longer. Also, I now see even some main stream battery companies are going to Gel Batteries.

What are thoughts on this? As the difference between the highest cost battery (Gel) is only about $100 and one less dead battery worth that to me. Deep cycle or Gel or highest output standard starter battery?

Thanks

Here is something to consider....

This ultra capacitor is being used by lots of over the road trucks. It can "charge" from your AGM deep cycle house batteries in just a few minutes, and then provide more amps to the starter than a traditional lead battery. Even works if your house batteries are almost "dead" ...... As it just keeps collecting electrons and storing them in a large capacitor.

http://www.maxwell.com/esm/

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1432226697.308449.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	94872
Old 05-27-2015, 12:41 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I find it interesting that a goodly number of the name brands mentioned in the forgoing are all made by the same company-Johnson Controls. They make near the majority of automotive type batteries now, including Interstate, Optima, Walmart, Diehard- so if anyone thinks they are going to do a special "run" of batteries of higher or lower grade of some of the popular sizes-guess again. You are buying lead, so you'd do as well buying by the pound to get the best battery for your buck.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #22

I would Get the largest premium NAPA, Autozone etc. you can, wet acid. Forget gel, forget AGM. easy to replace if needed just keep the receipt. Gel and AGM can have issues too. Deep cycle have a thicker plate less surface area therefore a slower reaction and less cranking amps.

If it's really cold out turn on the headlights for a few minutes before you crank the engine, it warms the battery up but don't tell no one.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:48 PM   #23

Actually, your are using more power from your battery, running the lights, then any warming effect, it would produce.

If your theory was true, the cold engine would crank faster, the longer you cranked It.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Actually, your are using more power from your battery, running the lights, then any warming effect, it would produce.

If your theory was true, the cold engine would crank faster, the longer you cranked It.

Not a theory, fact. This is for so so batteries overnight or a few days at -20 to -40. No cranking the engine is not the same.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cool Which batteries?

I just went through all of this with my NEW Winnebago that came with 14 month old Napa house batteries that kept discharging. I talked with a lot of people about batteries. The deep cycles DO take a lot more dishcharging and re-charging but after a while may not start a big engine..The cranking batteries wont take a lot of discharging. There ARE some companies that have starting/deep cycle batteries. (Die Hard, Interstate) I was told by many battery folks that SOME gels were pretty good but can be temperamental about charging especially when with regular flooded cell batteries. They said that they are good in tight areas that are hard to maintain but sometimes not worth the high extra cost. I went with Interstate deep cycles for my house batteries and stayed with a cranking battery for my V10 Ford. The total opinion from everyone I talked towas that a solar system even a small one is well worth its cost to keep batteries in good condition.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #26

Then a 12 volt, battery heater, would do better. It would direct the wasted energy of the bulbs, to the batteries, compounding the effect.

Yet, no one sells one.

Where can I find the "Facts"
Old 05-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #27
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Take off your ring before using a wrench on the side terminals. I burned out a 1/4 inch section which ended up in my skin. I saved money on the battery but spent over $200.00 to repair the ring. My repair was free except for the band aids.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #28

The chemical reaction in a lead acid battery is exothermic, it produces heat as energy is released within the battery. We are not trying to heat the battery to room temperature, just a little bit to speed up that old chemical reaction and turning on the headlights can do that, enough to crank the engine.

You don't need to do this or try it. In fact don't try it. Wait with your hood up waiting for a jump and wondering how the natives got their cars started, the ones driving by and laughing. I have done and seen this many times, and laughed too. Jumping a frozen battery is also a no no.

Tags
battery