Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #1

Best to go to for New Carpet/flooring in M.H.?

I still have the original darker blue carpeting in my '85 Vogue 32'er. It has really dark wood throughout. I want to liven it up a bit. Which would you suggest and who should you get to do such a thing?

1. I actually know a great painter to hire to paint the original solid dark wood cabinets white or some other light color throughout the M.H. Or is keeping it original something one should try hard to do. At his age and value, even though it is a Vogue, not sure if keeping it original has any value at all.

2. Simply take out the dark blue carpet and put a light modern carpet throughout.

3. Forget carpet and go with a light colored tile, linoleum, or wood-look throughout.

4. New carpet in bedroom only, and go with #3 in LR, K, & Bath.

Main ? is: Do I just take it to a carpet/flooring retailer and have his sub-crew do the floor work since I can't do anything myself. Or should I look for a good handyman to take out the old and lay the new flooring and just pick out the flooring I want ahead of time. What is the best way to get a good job done on it.
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We took our 2004 Itasca Sunova to our RV dealer to have carpet and linoleum installed primarily because we were concerned about installing it with two slides. The dealer actually hired in a local carpet installer who did a fabulous job. New flooring really cleaned up the interior and also made it more homey.
I don't know if painting the interior will decrease the value or not but to us an RV value is that it feels like your home.......let your own tastes and likes lead the way.
lfdeluca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #3

I have no decorating taste for I can't visualize anything before completed. So any suggestions on color, decor, or whatever, even pics of what you like, would be appreciated. Here is my original dark interior which I feel is just too dark and depressing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	great kitchen.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	96046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4784.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	96047  

Click image for larger version

Name:	nice lavatory and new unused toilet.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	96048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4785.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	96049  

SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
go with real light flooring wood or tile then see if the contrast of the dark wood is more to your liking.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #5

You can get some laminate. I did my kirchen with it myself. came out great ands great
Old 06-03-2015, 04:03 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with Paul & Megan, go with a light colored flooring (there are some great tile laminates out there) and see how that contrast works. The wood looks beautiful in the photos; I think you should look at all other options to lighten the space before you resort to paint.
lfdeluca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:16 AM   #7

The coach's value won't be affected by what you do, so do what you like.

The dark wood is depressing, and makes the unit look smaller than it is. Lighten it up.

A light colored, low loop, carpet would add to the look, and they make very nice-looking vinyl squares that can accent the KI, BA and FO. Either DIY or flooring guy, because the bear will be in removing the old stuff.

P.S. if you remove the plastic, you'll find that toilet use will become a lot less messy............j/k.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 on changing the flooring first. Allure vinyl flooring is reasonably priced, available in many different looks, easy to install, and extremely durable.
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet