Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 11:47 PM   #1

Best way to have the outside of your Class A rePainted

Would simply painting it all a nice bright white be the cheapest by chance? Or would keeping with the original color scheme of off white, dark and light blue accents be the cheapest.

Personally, I would like a really deep rich shiny solid white. That way I can add whatever I like as decals, logos, wording, whatever as time goes on.

How much do you think a 32' Class would cost to do a super paint job? And which would cost the least: going with just one color, or going with original, something else altogether?

Any suggestions as who would do a good job at a fair price?
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 02:10 AM   #2

One color would be the cheapest, find a good shop that specializes in RV's..for a nicer job forget the decals and incorporate designs into the paint, many coats of clear. There are a few good shops out there, start searching in your area but you might have to travel a bit to get the right job...
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:30 AM   #3

More colors & more taping adds to the bottom line. I personally wouldn't go with a solid color, but that's just me. I saw a Travel Supreme that was all white and it looked pretty good. Just like everyone else it come down to how deep is your checkbook?
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:19 AM   #4

It's the prep work that's really expensive. Once that's done you have the majority of the job paid for.

Point being, a stripe or 2 isn't going to be free, but I'm pretty sure you'll find the price pretty reasonable when looking at the bigger picture.

Last, a white paint job is not at all friendly to your eyes in bright sunlight. Off white, MUCH easier on your eyes.....
Old 06-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #5

A single stage white will be your cheapest option but so much depends on the prep work and the quality of paint. If you step up to a base coat/ clear coat system the price goes up dramatically. Those paints can run at least $100-200
a gallon. The only way to get an accurate price to to shop the body shops. I be surprised if you could get a quality job for less than $5K.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #6

Finding a body shop to paint a whole automobile is just about impossible and even more difficult to paint a rv.

Most local body shops will only paint pieces of cars, as painting a whole car (1) takes them out of their rhythm of in by Monday, out by Friday and (2) owners get mad when they cannot produce the perfect paint jobs. They just don't have the time to fully paint a car or a motorhome.

Those small shops that have time to do a motorhome don't have a spray booth large enough to do the job. And paint men in RV dealerships are often not high quality painters--volume over quality.

And getting any paint job done in California will be ridiculously expensive due to their state regulations against painting anything.

It's all Catch 22. Just trade it for a newer unit.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #7

Search this forum for the shop in Mexico that several have used. I think it may be a couple of brothers in Algodones which is not that far from you. I have no knowledge of the shop but remember some threads from last winter. Good luck.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 06-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finding a facility to paint an entire RV is not difficult. Search out a RV Collision Repair Facility. You RV Insurance Company may be able to recommend one to you. IMO a pure solid white RV looks like a loaf of bread or a laundry truck.
Why put decals on a painted RV. Decals will crack, fade, and peel requiring expensive removal every 4-6 years and leave behind shadows. Selecting paint design is less labor and cost in the future. Avoid black color in paint and decal as it is the first to crack and fracture under the sun.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #9

The only problem I see getting it painted is the ridiculous price the shop will want to do it. They get a little carried away with dollar amounts when they start talking rv's. Considering they have almost no body work to do and don't have to touch the roof...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
YC1

If you are up to it, discuss the issue with a painter of your choice and maybe they will advise you how to do the prep work. Prepping can be a horrendous time consumer. The basic spraying is actually easy.

It may be cost effective to buy an electric or air sander and then sell it when done.

If you want a real adventure and have time and space you can paint it at home.

Color sanded white can pop and look like it is plastic coated without a clear coat. Amazing stuff but it takes a tremendous amount of effort.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
The only problem I see getting it painted is the ridiculous price the shop will want to do it. They get a little carried away with dollar amounts when they start talking rv's. Considering they have almost no body work to do and don't have to touch the roof...
If you spent a little time looking at an rv and see all what prep work has to be done, you wouldn't call the price ridiculous. More time is spent in prep work than actual painting
Old 06-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm thinking of doing this with my 2001 Mirada. I've painted vehicles before in my driveway (I live out in the sticks) . Its a lot of work, and like everyone said, a good paint job is made up 90% in the prep work and on a big vehicle, that,s a lot of manual labor.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, paint